Hannants RAF decal red

Sean_M

I am just finishing a mosquito FB and used Hannants generic sheets. All in all in does not look back but close up I can't help felling the the red is a bit too brown. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

12 minutes ago, Sean_M said:

But is it correct for the mosquitos 

Why would the Mosquito be different to anything else, code letters were painted at unit level using stock paint.

Is Eduard's red the right shade? It could be too bright, too red, as Andrew stated in his post, dull ident red is a brick red colour with a definite brownish hue to it.

Perhaps your question should be who produces the correct shade for RAF WWII Ident Red Codes?

I'm away from my references and sources but I have a distinct recollection that my old Modeldecal code letter sheets are a distinctly brownish-red.

Hannants Xtradecal sheets are printed by Microscale I beleive, and the red will be matched to the closest Pantone ink from their palette of "stock" inks. This may explain why it is slightly different to the actual colour ( whatever that is) 

Jonners

The Frog decals were reddish-brown (some said terracotta) when Richard Ward took over producing sheets for them, and he was one of those behind Modeldecal.  We didn't have the wide range of alternatives to the el-cheapo kit decals in those days.

To satisfy yourself, try to get hold of a copy of Arms&Armour's British Aviation Colours of WW2, preferably at a less extravagant price that Abe Books are currently offering.  Just make sure it has the colour charts in the back.  Your local library should be able to help.  I have one but not the Mosquito transfer sheet.

Hi Sean

this is a scan of the colour chips Graham is referring too, and this is a fair reproduction of the colours (I have the book and paint  chips)

bstablegb_1.JPG

the 'red' is the colours above has a definite brown cast

good quality period colour shots show this as well

2526720177_8b3fb64b1e_o.jpgSea Hurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on FlickrSea Hurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

7421287052_638b34e6d5_o.jpgNew Mosquito. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

I have some of the Hannants sheets, and they look to be decent matches to the full size colours, so perhaps a bit dark on a model.

IIRC you were making masks, so what paint did you use for 'red' when using those?

HTH

T

When I did my Spitfire XII for the Edgar Brooks Memorial GB & was forced to use Airfix decals from the 1st boxing of the latest Spitfire Mk IX kit, I thought they were far too brown & that may still be true to some extent but they look far less out of place than do the much brighter red in the roundels on my Mk VI that I did for the recent MTO GB. To my eyes anyway.

Steve.

I have the Graham chips. I personally think the Eduard "Dull red" is more of a match but ot was use the Hannants decals or buy more in. The finished product is not bad but I would not say I am 100% happy