F-111D/F - Hasegawa 1/72

HansReggelsen

• 2 weeks later...

Been away a bit - sorting out the stash and downsizing it a bit has taken my time :winkgrin:, but now I'm back with the program - got less than a month left so let's roll it out! :)

Aardvark023_zpsknhcnfca.jpg

I always use a dark colour as the base - in the case black - on both upper as well as lower part. This way I make sure the the following colours get the same depth to them. :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 3

Another day - another update! :winkgrin:

Aardvark024_zpsdwob9qum.jpg

I always find shading(?) black and red the most difficult.

All other colours just just add som white (except WHITE of course! :doh: ) but with red you'd get pink and with black you'd just get grey. :hmmm:

Anyway it looks OK to me (for now! :wicked:

Hans J

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Nice work on the black undersides hans, 

Glynn

Thanks , Glynn

It's a sort of eksperiment on my behalf on how to weather black.

I'm anxious as to see how it'll look once the upper camouflage is on - will it be 'black' enough? :hmmm:

Well - just have to wait and see - just sit and wait, sit and wait! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 1

I like experiments hans, and yours is a good one, i fully expect it to level up  a little with a clear coat on for decals ,and if you dont like it theres very few decals on the undersides anyway you could apply a really thin coat of nato black,,all the same i say leave it:yes:

Glynn

• Like 2

Just caught up on this build, nice work Hans, I don't envy you preparing and painting all the Durandals!

• Like 1

Nicely done Hans, that's a clever bit of work, can't wait to see her in her full set of colours.

The other way if you wanted to break up all the black is to use NATO Black or Rubber Black, these will give you that subtle shading to the black. Plus something else that can help is once you've done the final Flat Clear coat (that's if you're doing one) then use a small piece of cloth or paper towel (even a pencil erasure will do) to just know back the flatness of the finish. The black in real life was never really flat and not a semi-gloss either, sort of something inbetween. Doing this in a patchy way can break up the flatness of the finish, something really noticeable with black.  

The other thing with F-111's and very noticeable on the black underside was the streaking caused by the fuel tank sealant. It's was quite common to see this on the underside of the wings and the fuselage. The only time we would ever try to remove it was if the bird was going on display, not a fun job that was.

This site has a couple of photos of what I'm talking about, I suspect the USAF aircraft suffered the same issues as well, maybe they were kept a bit cleaner??

F-111 Photo site 

• Like 1

I'm still on it, but as you will see - something has arisen:

Sharknose01_zpsyd0gjg0l.jpg

I just have to make the basic changes to the F-5F - Sharknose, leading edge extensions and those little pimples on the side of the nose.

Then I shall return! (actually I'll do it simultaneously! :winkgrin: )

Hans J

• Like 2

Just to round up the F-5F: :D

Sharknose02_zpsctkcm7lg.jpg

And now to resume the original program: :winkgrin:

Aardvark026_zpsw5bgciae.jpg

Only 2½ week left - will I make it or break it? :hmmm: Got to concentrate - you know: Eye of the Tiger - Use the Force - Go Snake Eyes etc...!(you'll probably only get the last one if you're as old as I am!)  :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 4

haha, there's someone dedicated to getting the pattern right, I love it! :D

Just be thankful you're not using HB painting instructions as the top views don't match the side views with the patterns at all!

Looks like you've got a great finish, looking forward to seeing her unveiled.

• Like 1

Ok - let's see how I'm doing at the moment!:

Aardvark031_zpsjqdt6mjo.jpg

On a more negativ note, my trusty old compressor broke down! :raincloud:  Now it sounds as an old Trabant with breathing problems! :S

I'll have to look for a replacement, so this build is at a standstill until that's done!  #¤%&#¤%! 

Hans J

• Like 1

yes very nice work with the masking, tape usage looks to be a little bit less than what I normally use!!

Yes the colour changes between light sources is always very noticeable, nearly as bad as the differences seen between different monitors. It's sort of why I now don't get so hung up on trying to get the exact colour match as in the end everyone is going to see it a bit different.

All that aside, she does look really nice, so well done. 

Plus I know the pain of when a compressor dies in the middle of painting!

• Like 1