F-111D/F - Hasegawa 1/72

HansReggelsen

Oh well - here goes: :D

When I'm finished with the Caribou over in DeHavilland MegaGB I'll start on the Mercury in the Prototype GB and when THAT is done, I'll come back here to start on this:

FullSizeRender001_zpsjwppad4s.jpg

At the moment I'm going for the F with a whole bunch of Durandel missiles! :hmmm:

Cheers and I hope to see you back here! :bye:

Hans J

• Like 9

Welcome aboard, that Hasegawa kit looks to be quite a nice kit.

I don't know the AM stuff for this model at all, so will be interested to see it come together.

Good luck with the build, hopefully it'll be trouble free and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• 2 weeks later...

So Easter is here and my little easter-egg has begun! :winkgrin:

As it's a family holiday I don't get to build as much as usual, but here's a start nonetheless. :D

OK - starting out with a dry-run:

Aardvark001_zpswmcqkgrr.jpg

Actually a family holliday suits me fine after a three-model-in-a-row back-to-back build (Harrier-Caribou-Mercury) :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 3

Just a little update - actually more like a comparison between the Verlinden and the Hasegawa parts for the cockpit: :winkgrin:

Aardvark002_zpsy5tdpz8i.jpg

Aardvark003_zpswabt1qe2.jpg

Aardvark005_zps1hbv08hg.jpg

Aardvark004_zpsxmxfmpg9.jpg

I must say that the Verlinden parts are better than the Hasegawa parts (at that price they'd better be! :winkgrin: )

But it of course mean that all the instruments has to be handpainted and if one is not for that, there are two different instrumentpanels in the Hasegawa kit - one for the 'D'- version and one for the 'F'! :D

With the canopy closed it really isn't that much difference....but there IS a difference! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 1

...and back to the (modelling)studio where events has taken a dramatic turn: :o

Aardvark006_zpslzhszd12.jpg

.....Yes - yes - I chickend out! :penguin:(I couldn't fine any chicken emoji so a penguin will have to do! :winkgrin:)

I just daren't risk 'foggin up' the canopy! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Hans J

• Like 1

You know there are some really good PVA type glues that will work perfectly with the resin and clear plastic, and surprisingly are quite strong! I've used them before and they work quite well, even with gluing brass as well.

The detail on the Verlinden parts is really nice.

• Like 2

Watching with interest! This seems to be quite a rare kit now and commands silly money online...glad I got mine when I did. I also have the Verlinden & Eduard sets,  and the Modern Hobbies Pave Tack Unit is useful as the kit item is a bit 'limp'.

Like trickyrich says, don't be intimidated by dissimilar materials and transparencies! I totally recommend Gator's Grip, which is almost superglue strength but entirely harmless and easy to clean up.

Bring on the Durandals! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi Rich and AngstROM :D

Thanks for the heads-up on the glue. I'll have a look into that.:D

They seem to be on sale at Amazon.

But I still don't know....I just kind'a like the F-111's long sleek look, which would be 'cluttered' with an open canopy. I'll give it a thought, though!:winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 2

Apologies, but my brain is due for a Major Service. Just remembered another method for joining funny stuff -this was mentioned in the instructions for the etched bits in Goffy's 1/144 Tomcat upgrade, IIRC: double-sided adhesive tape like carpet and flooring fitters use. It is thin, holds well and can be cut into tiny slivers quite easily. It is remarkable how little you need to lock a small (flat) piece of resin or brass in place, positioning time is flexible and nothing gets fogged! I can't recall where I bought mine, but it has a cream paper backing and is not affected by acrylic or enamel paints (other types might be).

• Like 2

Hi again! :D

First off - thanks to AngstROM - that sounds like something I'll have to have a closer look at! :D

And then a small update:

Aardvard007_zpsubvgzpfk.png

Once again it strikes me how it's not always a blessing with zooming in on details - it's only 1/72 u'kno'! :winkgrin:

Hans J

PS I liked the dancing penguin emoji so much I had to put it in again! :penguin:

• Like 6

HAH! That'll teach me ALWAYS to read the label on the paint! :D

I sprayed the cockpit with Model Master Aircraft GrayFS16473!

And? - I can hear you ask.  :hmmm:

Well the the first '1' in the FS number signifies how gloss the colour is:

1 = Gloss

2 = Semigloss

3 = Matt

The colour is the same, it's just the glossness (hue?) that's different. :winkgrin:

No problem - just took me a bit by surprise.

That is why there's no picture, as gloss takes longer time to dry than matt.

I'll be right back. :winkgrin:

Hans J

PS almost forgot: :penguin:

And I'm back - having given the cockpit a wash - just like Rich wrote!:winkgrin:

Aardvark008_zpsqteu45hk.jpg

And just to prove that penguins are not a new 'fad' to me I proudly present my scratchbuilt penguins from my 1/72 Auster Antartica vignette made many moons ago::winkgrin:

Auster%20T.7-5_zpshimq9vcj.jpg

:penguin:

Hans J

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes hans i agree top job on the cockpit, much better job than just etch like mine,much more 3d ,good painting too.

Glynn 

Thanks  AngstROM and Glynn:D

I have to say to you Glynn, that you've hit one of the thing I ponder on: The 3D effect of resin vs the neatness of etchings. :hmmm:

In the case of my 1/72 F-111 prepainted etchings would be fine - 

but I think that it lack in the 3D department, at least in the larger scale as 1/48 and definitely in 1/32. :hmmm:

Now I went for the Verlinden set as I had it to hand and at the end of the day I just like panting stuff! :winkgrin:

I just went and took a look at your cockpit - and it's better than mine! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen

8 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Thanks  AngstROM and Glynn:D

I have to say to you Glynn, that you've hit one of the thing I ponder on: The 3D effect of resin vs the neatness of etchings. :hmmm:

In the case of my 1/72 F-111 prepainted etchings would be fine - 

but I think that it lack in the 3D department, at least in the larger scale as 1/48 and definitely in 1/32. :hmmm:

Now I went for the Verlinden set as I had it to hand and at the end of the day I just like panting stuff! :winkgrin:

I just went and took a look at your cockpit - and it's better than mine! :winkgrin:

Hans J

But it not really modelling as such hans that was my point ,ive just cut and stuck,dont get me wrong in its place it looks the business, but theres a lot there in that cockpit, i do agree about 1/32 scale needs more than etch.. good stuff thanks hans :yes:

Glynn

• Like 1

Good looking cockpit there Hans. The canopy is pretty clear with large panels so you should be able to see all that detailed work.

Robert

• Like 1