Peter Jackson's Dambusters and HBO's The mighty eight...

Andre B

31 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Hopefully,the Dambusters remake has been shelved indefinitely.

The PC world we live in now makes it difficult to make an historically correct account.

I think racism in the UK has been rather milder than over here, where hearing the word is genuinely shocking in a way that's perhaps difficult to explain to non-Americans. I also think that if the dog's name were "Dennis" or whatever, the story wouldn't be substantially affected; the name of the dog was immaterial to the success of the raid. 

• Like 14

I`ve seen pics on line of dismantled Lancaster repro airframes and other stuff such as German 88mm guns going into storage in a hangar in NZ.

Some images

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Peter-Jacksons-full-scale-Lancaster-bomber-replica-for-the-Dam-Busters-remake-2.jpg

http://s365.photobucket.com/user/RasputinDude/media/News Story Pix/WaiTimesAge_06May09.jpg.html

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/hkins/media/MOTAT/FILE0925.jpg.html

and that on the right apparently is a half scale Wellington

https://dambusters.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/002.jpg?w=636

So the hardware is there. I have heard that there are up to ten full scale replica Lancasters built in China.

There is other stuff too. Not heard about the flak 88 but at least one Matador truck was imported and fumigated.

http://s365.photobucket.com/user/RasputinDude/media/News Story Pix 2011/5726295s_04Oct11.jpg.html

So if the film isn't happening, what will happen to all this stuff?

Trevor

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

So the hardware is there. I have heard that there are up to ten full scale replica Lancasters built in China.

Great pictures, thanks for posting the links :thumbsup2: 

Does anyone know; Are the replicas just static, or does he have any Lancaster replicas that have working Engines? That could, for example, taxi?

I know a some on BM aren't very keen on Memphis Belle (the movie) , but one thing I like very much about it is the number of real aircraft involved. Also the good quality scale models involved.

For the Spitfire fans, well, anyone, 'Dark Blue World' is another movie I like in this respect:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Blue_World

I'm probably in a minority, but I prefer replicas and (good) flying scale models in movies rather than CGI. 

Peter certainly does spend his money on some very nice toys :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

I also think that if the dog's name were "Dennis" or whatever, the story wouldn't be substantially affected; the name of the dog was immaterial to the success of the raid. 

Immaterial except for the fact that the Dogs' name was also the code word for a successful breach of the Mohne Dam and instructed the remaining aircraft to attack the Eder Dam!

Despite the rights or wrongs of the name, history cannot be changed, nor should it!

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Tony C said:

Immaterial except for the fact that the Dogs' name was also the code word for a successful breach of the Mohne Dam and instructed the remaining aircraft to attack the Eder Dam!

Despite the rights or wrongs of the name, history cannot be changed, nor should it!

So use a different name and so what? The Battle of Britain is one of my favourite films, but let's not pretend that it's anything like the actual battle in terms of personalities (e.g. the wholly fictitious scene where Dowding makes peace between Leigh-Mallory and Park), aircraft (all those Buchons and Spitfire IXs!) or even hairstyles. Heck, the original Dambusters movie doesn't even have the proper shape for the bombs. Every film about WWII is going to be a compromise somehow. Changing one code word doesn't change the import or the effect of the raid.  

• Like 19

'Noggin' would be a good substitute word for the dog's name.

Very British, same number of letters, quite abstract, good for a code word, same first letter, nice name for an intelligent dog.

Just a thought. In case Peter's stuck. 

Maybe he's reading :shrug: 

If you are, can I have a job on set Peter? I'll work for Wingnut kits as pay 💰 :).

I'll make tea on set. Clean the cockpits..... :pray: 

T

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

In the DVD re-issues of the original film the dog's name has been dubbed over with 'Digger'. Its close enough to the original name to sound right to those who know

In the dvd I have of it, which I bought new less than 10 years ago, the dog's name was not changed.  PBS (Public Broadcasting System) here in the states did a program on the raid and they nicely sidestepped the whole matter of the dog's name by not even mentioning it.  You could, for example, have some people standing just outside of the ops room and hear cheering and knowing that that meant the mission was a success.  

Later,

Dave

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I think racism in the UK has been rather milder than over here, where hearing the word is genuinely shocking in a way that's perhaps difficult to explain to non-Americans. I also think that if the dog's name were "Dennis" or whatever, the story wouldn't be substantially affected; the name of the dog was immaterial to the success of the raid. 

Interesting don't you think how the use of a certain word which perhaps would be used only a couple of times in a film and when referring to the name of a dog in a proper historical context attracts so much PC attention and yet, the likes of black American actors Samuel L Jackson and Jamie Foxx (amongst others) who have made their names and fortunes in fictional films where the casual, frequent(and often un-necessary) use of the same word to make them appear "cool" or "edgy" seems almost mandatory and doesn't raise so much as an eyebrow.

Funny old world isn't it!

Gary

• Like 9

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm probably in a minority, but I prefer replicas and (good) flying scale models in movies rather than CGI.

I'm not sure if you're a minority in this. After all, the AT-AT's in 1979's The Empire Strikes Back still look better than their CGI counterparts in the EPisode II / III, Rick Bakers practival werewolf transitions in 1981's An American Werewolf In London blows his CGI werewolf work in Cursed and The Wolfman out of the water, etc. etc.

EDIT: a quote from the man himself:

Baker announced his retirement on May 28, 2015: "First of all, the CG stuff definitely took away the animatronics part of what I do. It's also starting to take away the makeup part. The time is right, I am 64 years old, and the business is crazy right now. I like to do things right, and they wanted cheap and fast. That is not what I want to do, so I just decided it is basically time to get out. I would consider designing and consulting on something, but I don’t think I will have a huge working studio anymore."

Nothings looks outdated faster than cutting edge CGI...

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
Rick Baker quote added
  • Like 4

I can't help feeling it would be somewhat easier filming it over here in the UK to make use of real assets and backgrounds, sure make use of the Weta studios for the model layouts and post-production but surely they can make use of our two Lancs plus the original RAF base and of course the beaches and the reservoirs.

• Like 1

By the time this film is eventually made, there should be - hopefully, 3 x Lancasters in Britian flying!  Its hoped that "Just Jayne" may be getting her airworthy certificate in the near future

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 6:28 PM, Procopius said:

Perhaps we could ask Peter Jackson to call the dog Procopius.

When I was a kid there was an old lady that used to walk her dog through the park, she had perfectly innocently given it the name Boner and couldn't understand why we all laughed when she called it's name. I think peoples intentions and motives can at times be misunderstood. 

• Like 3

On 2017-03-27 at 1:26 AM, Procopius said:

So use a different name and so what? The Battle of Britain is one of my favourite films, but let's not pretend that it's anything like the actual battle in terms of personalities (e.g. the wholly fictitious scene where Dowding makes peace between Leigh-Mallory and Park), aircraft (all those Buchons and Spitfire IXs!) or even hairstyles. Heck, the original Dambusters movie doesn't even have the proper shape for the bombs. Every film about WWII is going to be a compromise somehow. Changing one code word doesn't change the import or the effect of the raid.  

For what I knew the shape and dimensions of the bouncing bomb still was "top secret" during the making of the "The Dambusters" 1955. Thats the reason why the shape of the bomb in the movie doesn't have the proper shape,..

• Like 3

In building a model of a film Dambuster, I looked at every photo of the dummy mine I could.  I came to the conclusion the fim bomb follows the basic shape of the original clad bomb before they took off the wooden spherical casing that kept coming apart on impact with the water.  After all, they had to fly the planes with it attached; Avro did the mods for the film and following the original aerodynamic shape would avoid recalculating everything.  Anyway that's what I did and it ended up looking like the film one.

Besides which the spherical shape matches better with the archive film included, and who would have believed you can skip a baked-bean-can shape across water?  It seemed unlikely in 1943, 1955 and still amazing now...

Cheers

Will

• Like 3

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Hook said:

I'm not sure if you're a minority in this. After all, the AT-AT's in 1979's The Empire Strikes Back still look better than their CGI counterparts in the EPisode II / III, Rick Bakers practival werewolf transitions in 1981's An American Werewolf In London blows his CGI werewolf work in Cursed and The Wolfman out of the water, etc. etc.

EDIT: a quote from the man himself:

Nothings looks outdated faster than cutting edge CGI...

Cheers,

Andre

GCI people and/or the directors seem pathologically incapable of resisting camera view points, panning and animated over-dramatization and playing with time that one would never and could never see in reality, and that for me entirely undermines the credibility of whatever I'm looking at on the screen.

Even for those unburdened by having the slightest clue what they're looking at are probably going to have a weaker impression of what they're seeing the way Hollywood does these. An explosion looks more violent and threatening at real-time speed as compared to slowed down.

Pearl Harbor, Red Tails, Fortress, Flyboys and that recent Indianapolis - Men of whatever film (I have DVDs of all these except Flyboys) have been badly let down by CGI. I almost feel it's crass and voyeuristic to watch USS Arizona inflate and burst like a balloon in slow motion. The movie would lose nothing for avoiding that CGI nonsense and just portray its destruction exactly as witnessed by those who suffered watching it happen. That's an example but it's how I feel about all these recent war movies which could be excellent and engage the audience, but they all end up being second rate and cringe worthy because of the people who make them.

• Like 3

Ah CGI, all films seem to have what the wife & I call The Halls of Khazad-dun moment from the first Lord of The Rings movie by, oh, er, Peter Jackson, when the CGI loses all semblance of reality. Some of it is truly appalling and makes Ray Harryhausen's work look positively life like.

• Like 2