1/48th Monogram Harvard Mk.IIa, OFTS, Royal Canadian Navy, Shearwater, Nova Scotia, 1949

Hiya Folks,

Following on from my Canadian Firefly trainer, here is a matching overall Trainer Yellow RCN Harvard in 1/48th from Monogram, built to represent 2757, TF-U of the Operational Flying Training School at Shearwater, Noa Scotia in 1949, 

DSCF9862_zps34c9pdtf.jpg

DSCF9864_zps4aluxlwl.jpg

DSCF9865_zpsayuakjjd.jpg

DSCF9867_zps1i3thy1x.jpg

DSCF9853_zpss99wteg8.jpg

DSCF9852_zpsrc0xh0yo.jpg

DSCF9858_zpsirov3y7m.jpg

DSCF9859_zpsdnpa3vzq.jpg

DSCF9857_zpsnf38vler.jpg

DSCF9856_zpsjj3ksqrg.jpg

The reference pic wasn`t too clear when it came to which rear glazing was fitted to this aircraft, so if I have got it wrong,....oh well! The decals were from Belcher Bits but in this instance they broke apart in strips upon application and had to be carefully pieced together.

As you can see I quite like the Harvard/Texan,...having flown in one in Florida;

DSCF0099_zpsilkd0ywf.jpg

and I have another couple on the go,.....one RCAF and one RNZAF,...

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 37

Cheers Trevor,

Glad you like it!

1 hour ago, Bill Bunting said:

Nice one Tony! another Canadian in your fleet.  How was the kit?  Is it the same as the Occidental?  I need one in my cabinet since my flight over Base Borden last year.

Cheers!!

Picture3s_zps9etpvncv.jpg

Hiya Bill,..... no the Monogram kit,..... which has also been boxed by Revell, is a different kit to the Occidental one and represents a US made variant rather than a Canadian one. It is a standard Monogram kit,...... raised detail but well done and it looks the part. Some kits include the longer British style exhaust, some don`t. You look good in the rear seat mate,..... lovely aeroplane isn`t it?

All the best

Tony

Thanks for your kind words everybody.

4 hours ago, camper1 said:

Another nice one Tony,not content with running out of black paint you have started on the yellow.

You know how I just love yellow paint!!!!!

Ian

Cheers Ian...... yes Yellow is the colour,.......I`m on the lookout for some more Monogram/Italeri Harvards! 

All the best

Tony

Lovely Harvard Tony, I have a couple planned myself- I was fortunate to have a back seat in the Goodwood harvard last year. Is that Kissimee Florida?

US built Harvard IIa would that be equivalent to an AT-6C?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Lovely Harvard Tony, I have a couple planned myself- I was fortunate to have a back seat in the Goodwood harvard last year. Is that Kissimee Florida?

US built Harvard IIa would that be equivalent to an AT-6C?

Yes I went up in one of the Kissimee Texans as a birthday prezzie a few years ago. Depending on which references you use, yes I believe that the Mk.IIa was an AT-6C,.... the one that I replicated was said to be a Mk.II which was later converted to a Mk.IIa in Canadian service. So wooden rear fuselage,....who knows! 

Good luck with your models,....I`m currently finishing off an Occidental Mk.IIb.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Nice Harvard Tony, its also amazing how good you look in the pit of the real Harvard, it makes you look really HANDSOME.

Amazing what a GOOD bird can do for a young man.....this one is just yellow instead of BLONDE.

Ali

• Like 1

Cheers fellas and with that parachute on I cannot tell you how tempted I was to jump out of the thing,.....honest!! I was even looking out for decent DZ`s! They did me a video from a camera fitted to the wingtip as well as some still shots, I`ll have to dig them out!

Tony

Very nicely done, Tony. Is that exhaust from the Occidental kit or scratch-built ?? - I don't remember the Monogram kit having it, but I could be wrong.

Ian.

• Like 1

Another nice variation with those style of roundels. I wouldn't know if the glazing is wrong. I must admit I'm leaning towards older kits myself of late, Whether or not I'll get them built is another matter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ian said:

Very nicely done, Tony. Is that exhaust from the Occidental kit or scratch-built ?? - I don't remember the Monogram kit having it, but I could be wrong.

Ian.

Hiya Ian,

I used the Revell boxing of the Monogram kit from the racing pair set (moulded in bright red!) and thankfully it had the long exhaust included (plus a pair of fuselage mounted pitot tubes) but I know what you mean and these British style parts are often left off in a Monogram box. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hello Tony,

Nice and very bright in color scheme.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 0:48 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers fellas and with that parachute on I cannot tell you how tempted I was to jump out of the thing,.....honest!! I was even looking out for decent DZ`s!

Ha!  Every time I've flown a Harvard, I fear I might have to actually use my seat cushion for something other than a cushion.  That is what I keep a look out for decent landing sites!

Great job on both Harvards.

Jim

• Like 1