Crew for Airfix 1:48 BP Defiant?

RHWinter

I don't tend to use figures in my kits, but there are one or two sets of RAF 1940 period figures around- if memory serves me, ICM springs to mind and the Airfix Hurricane/Albion/Bedford Battle if Britain sets has figures.

Might be worth having a look at various model shops on the Web or evil bay.

Regards Adrian 

• Like 1

In reply to my above, just looked at ebay and if you put in 1/48 RAF personnel, the ICM sets are listed for around £9.

You may have to do a bit of "plastic surgery" to re-pose the figures.👌

I seem to recall that the Defiant gunners wore a 'Parasuit', a rather unflattering garment with a parachute built into it, rather than a separate parachute harness and pack as worn by the pilots.

• Like 1

for ease reference

IMG_3684ed01Big.jpg

the ICM RAF figures were reboxed by Revell BTW

revell1_48rafpilotsandgroundcrew%20(1).j

a better starting point maybe the Eduard set

eduard8507reviewbg_1.jpg

from http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/eduard8507reviewbg_1.htm

from the box I would think they maybe easier to modify , the far right running figure 

note they have separate arms and legs so can be reposed

eduard8507reviewbg_7.jpg

the parasuit would require some re-sculpting.

HTH

T

• Like 2

DJ Parkins (Flightpath etc) do a pilot being helped into his cockpit as part of their Dartmoor Military Models figures

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Wow @AndyL

That's a pretty definitive answer. Thanks. Gunner is painted!

Poor bugger had his legs chopped off to fit into fuselage and allow turret to rotate (with the added benefit of fitting the lower turret part). He is a very big burly fella and would make a good Al Deere! Still, he wont have the worry defined in the period instructional film of making sure to place feet on the foot rests to avoid injury!

Found the same period instructional film but with extra footage. I presume you have all seen this? A great view of the gun panel at 9:54

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Lindsey C said:

Wow @AndyL

That's a pretty definitive answer. Thanks. Gunner is painted!

Poor bugger had his legs chopped off to fit into fuselage and allow turret to rotate (with the added benefit of fitting the lower turret part). He is a very big burly fella and would make a good Al Deere! Still, he wont have the worry defined in the period instructional film of making sure to place feet on the foot rests to avoid injury!

Found the same period instructional film but with extra footage. I presume you have all seen this? A great view of the gun panel at 9:54

Regards,

Lindsey

It's lovely footage which shows the turret very well indeed. One of the oft repeated myths in the Defiant story is that the Parasuit was worn because there was no room for a parachute in the turret. Actually there was, only that if the gunner was wearing a Parasuit then the seat had to be folded up. At one stage it was suggested that these suits were to be issued to air gunners manning mid upper and ventral turrets, however The Parasuit soldiered on in use with Defiant units, but there was a mix of aircrew wearing them and the observers harness with the clip on parachute pack. As an aside it's thought there are only around ten Parasuits in existence, including two in the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, Hawkinge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2