Iscandar Protectorate Fleet

Continuing with non-canon Space Battleship Yamato builds are four ships from the Iscandar Protectorate Fleet.

Again, this is non-canon. The idea is, that after the Earth/Garmillas War, the new Garmillas leaders decided that Iscandar had been too vulnerable to the duplicitous actions of Supreme Leader Desler. And after nearly losing Garmillas itself, a bit of fanatical fervor overtook some of the military leaders and their subordinates in regards to Iscandar and Queen Starsha, with whom there is a such a wealth of respect and awe that is almost godly. Add to that, the threat of the Gatlantis Empire, and measures were taken to ensure that Iscandar would be protected from any threat - including any from Garmillas itself.

To that end, a fleet of ships were detached from the greater Garmillas forces and were set in orbit of Iscandar, and volunteers were asked to crew them. It would turn out, that they did not have enough ships for all the men and women who volunteered for the honored duty...

As to the ships, I didn't take too many pictures, as they are all pretty much straight from the box.

The first is the flagship, the Aeber'carin, a Haizelard class dreadnought. The second is the Galla'heiren, a Meltoria class heavy criuser, followed up by two Kripitera class destroyers.

JHI617w.jpg

V3hLIMa.jpg

dYRxX9j.jpg

G8noEze.jpg

8Mw8ZVZ.jpg

RaJM2JR.jpg

First primer coat added to the parts. I'm keeping them all in sub assemblies, to make it easier for the 'eye' inserts and to help get into the nooks and crannies. The panel lines really hide the seems.

oJSx6pG.jpg

Here is the super structure of the Aeber'carin next to the Haruna's, which is in another build thread.

iebXznf.jpg

The Aeber'carin up top and the Haruna at the bottom. In the box are the two Kripitera class destroyers. Ships that size I don't think have any names. Just numbers.

moktVJ7.jpg

A forest of turrets...

SP9jaA5.jpg

Still more to paint of those...

And the little destroyers before paint.

cJ6SPq3.jpg

As for paint, I wanted something that would be more suitable for Iscandar, and so there will be no dark greens or blues, or camo patterns. Instead, I'm going for colors similar to Starsha's dresses.

All the ships will have Duck Egg Blue 4748 over Flat white 4769. Inlets and bow fins will be aluminum, and the flagship, Aeber'carin with have a gold band going vertically amidships.

I wanted something flashier and fitting with the deep reverence the Garmillas hold for the Iscandarians.

We'll see how it turns out...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 6

yay! More SBY goodness :D My Zero arrived yesterday and I've been thinking of alternative schemes for it all day long. I love it when something is not 'canon' and I really like the sounds of your colours. My EDF Kirishima's going to be blue up top, dark grey underneath and metallic trim

Looking forward to more of this Thom!

• Like 2

So, started preshading. I stayed with a light gray seeing how the top color is going to be so light. Or at least I tired too... I was preshading the upper hull of the Haruna, which is going to be red, and then went right to the Aeber'carin, which is going to be white, without thinking. Doh! No prob though.

After preshading all five ships, I decided to do the Haruna first, since she is the only red being laid down, but I barely started on the stern with a big SPLAT of water came out of the airbrush! All done for today! I'll do more in the morning, after the air traps and hose have all dried.

Til then,

7zKi73j.jpg

Pnb5HYV.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:23, Thom216 said:

Don't know how it happened, but suddenly I'm working on five ships at once!:huh:

Can't wait to see your Kirishima! Sure to be a treat.

Hello Thom;

Did'nt even know that such a kit was existing, seem fun !

you can choose the colors or is this coming from mangas or so ?,

Sorry for such a stupid question, but I know about Nothing in this field of kits.

Nice job whatever, glad to follow you on this one.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Thom;

Did'nt even know that such a kit was existing, seem fun !

you can choose the colors or is this coming from mangas or so ?,

Sorry for such a stupid question, but I know about Nothing in this field of kits.

Nice job whatever, glad to follow you on this one.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Bandai has some great kits out for the Space Battleship Yamato series. Many of them just fall together!

As to the colors, I'm making those up. I wanted something different than the standard green or blue.

Thanks for watching!

• Like 1

Got a lot of the painting done. I need to retouch some with white, and of course all those panel lines are now nearly completely covered up... What happens when I have trouble spraying white...But they still look good, and at this scale I think you're less likely to see shades anyway on panel lines. A little touch up needed here and there, then I can start on the stripe and the other colors.

Unfortunately, the flash is washing out some of the top color. I'll have to take some better pics. And Haruna at the top of the pick needs another coat of red.

SvHsU0N.jpg

The color contrast can be seen better here,

zrrUogv.jpg

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Will Vale said:

The white is good and should look great with some washes in the panel lines, but that red is gorgeous! So rich.

Will

Straight Tamiya X-7. Only added thinner.

Edited by Thom216

3 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I think the pre-shade must add to the effect. Did it go on over white primer or grey?

Will

Mostly gray, then white when I ran out of that.

I started with Model Master White for the bottoms of the IPF ships, but had too much trouble with it drying and clogging the airbrush. I did have better luck with Tamiya White last time when I did the Kirishima, so I switched to that. Then I added thinner, and it went even better!

I didn't like the sound of a light colored Garmillas fleet when you first posted, but it looks really good put together. The white looks so much better then the regular green. And the gray provides some much needed depth.  You gonna leave the yellow parts gray? 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

I wasn't too sure about the colors either until they started to go down, but I'm liking them! With main paint pretty much done, I think it gives them a more 'regal' look.

All I need to do now is give them a clear and do some detail painting and then gentle weathering.

HeyEMes.jpg

ZR9oh8Z.jpg

qJmvmdS.jpg

OZmxiJ1.jpg

I think I can finally starting putting them together permanently.:D

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

Final assembly happened today.

First was coloring the intakes. I was going to use decals as a quick and easy way, but the first one went to pot just as quickly as it was put on. I'll chalk it up to operator error.

HSPNVhD.jpg

So I decided to paint them instead. I coated the backs in white to give a solid look to the yellow kit parts, then masked and laid down some Model Master International Orange acrylic.

6nl6ZNm.jpg

wVt5Lnk.jpg

Then started finally putting them together.

PwnXHsU.jpg+

u9UGiky.jpg

51rqMMF.jpg

9iqV5hH.jpg

BGwgDUN.jpg

ddGrX4q.jpg

1bEqiTO.jpg

I used the kit bases, but changed out the stands for metal rod.

1EsxROO.jpg

u3UrFtJ.jpg

And in formation with Haruna.

HWQSvEz.jpg

ZpY4OTi.jpg

9T25dWL.jpg

Wf5WP9D.jpg

d0cMPZo.jpg

ii9VrzQ.jpg

A little more work to do, such as a clear coat and panel lines, but these are almost done!

• Like 4