UNCF Haruna - BB-552

Okay, next sci-fi build and I'm sticking with Space Battleship Yamato. Although, not canon.

This build was inspired by this image taken from Lighthouse. Though I will stress, inspired and not exact.

6aZthEx.jpg

The idea behind the construction, is that after the Earth-Garmillas War, Earth was in desperate need of ships to outfit its depleted defenses. And with the rise of the Gatlantis threat and the defense pact signed between Earth and Garmillas, the idea was floated to buy old hulls from the Garmillas and outfit them with Terran technology. Namely, command and control, guns and engines. All Earth needed was the hulls.

As a test of the feasibility of the idea, one hull was bought, that of a decommissioned Gaiderol class dreadnought, and it was towed from Garmillas to Earth.

And so, construction began on the Haruna, named after the Kongo-class battleship BBS-552 that was lost at the First Battle of Mars.

The first bit was removing some of the Garmillas tech that was remaining on the hull and make way for systems far more familiar to the human technicians and the crews who would use them.

OK20QUT.jpg

Some pieces of a Gundam kit, sourced from my deep spares bin.

xsZuvmv.jpg

Part of the original superstructure was removed and new construction put in its place.

PbxuOuD.jpg

DMra1ka.jpg

The command deck from a damaged Murasame class cruisers was sourced to replace the old bridge.

un0wDUP.jpg

And since Earth leaders saw no need for the 'eyes,' these were removed and sensor bulges put in their places.

6jTBZRx.jpg

ZukDQH8.jpg

ZwThQ98.jpg

A new wave motion engine was built to fill the stern.

EH5reoi.jpg

PBplDYC.jpg

And with plumbing being vastly different a lot of unused space in the hull was cleared up for hangar space. Not much, but enough for some utility craft.

TcmkR4e.jpg

The new hangar opening.

dUHzxZ6.jpg

kmRK8Wq.jpg

Test fit of the new superstructure.

vTSGxWH.jpg

UbKoT5i.jpg

LqNyD8b.jpg

The lower bow fin was removed and replaced. (This from an old Andromeda kit, though it has been reshaped.)

wAmGtyz.jpg

nNeHXaI.jpg

And atop the bow. These are from some old jet fighter kit.

6vCNnuZ.jpg

With both, I wanted to give a more human look to the shape, such as with the Andromeda and the Borodino class ships.

The strakes on the upper stern were removed and replaced with simple styrene strip, and the new engine received a cone.

YIhj7Lk.jpg

I prefer a simpler base than the kit provides, so I glued shut the opening and drilled for a brass rod.

nuFLNbY.jpg

gtT6APo.jpg

And since she was now using Terran guns - I needed some! And as timing would have it, the kits from HLJ have not come in yet and the only guns I had were on my already built Kirishima...

6CMEhQ6.jpg

I also took some guns from a Mursame and a torpedo destroyer. Though I have decided to not use those from the destroyer.

D0iE6LB.jpg

The resin was applied and some copies came out!

NtnuRpg.jpg

It's white resin and so is washed out a bit, but it looks good in real life!

2mgyvbw.jpg

Of course, then I had to seal the original mounting holes and make smaller ones for the brass rod.

MN1xA7j.jpg

With that done, a primer coat was laid.

mLpLNRR.jpg

yX3pOb1.jpg

Painting is next. She's going to be a mix of 2199 and 2202 colors. Overall, she'll be red over white like the Kirishima but they'll also be a gray vertical stripe amidships and with the UNCN logo that will be sourced from one of the three Yuunagi kits that I ordered from HLJ.

And yes, she's not alone there. Theship at the top of the pic is a Haizelard class dreadnought with two little destroyers in the box. Those, and a Destoria class heavy cruiser, will have their own thread.

Back to work tomorrow, so painting will have to fit into my days off.

More updates soon!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 6

oh yeah!!! Nice work Thom! I've seen a few of those art works from the 'alternative' SBY designs - including some newer ships like the SBB-277 North Carolina (a very mean looking ship and much harder looking that the Andromeda) or the Super Carrier SVC-08 Eridanus 

I'd love to have a crack at building either one of those ships and maybe one day when I am feeling a little more adventurous I might. Until then, I shall enjoy watching you bring this one to life! :)

Si

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madhatter said:

oh yeah!!! Nice work Thom! I've seen a few of those art works from the 'alternative' SBY designs - including some newer ships like the SBB-277 North Carolina (a very mean looking ship and much harder looking that the Andromeda) or the Super Carrier SVC-08 Eridanus 

I'd love to have a crack at building either one of those ships and maybe one day when I am feeling a little more adventurous I might. Until then, I shall enjoy watching you bring this one to life! :)

Si

I know what you mean. Those are the stuff of legend...:D

Got the preshading down, dark grey on top and light grey on the bottom. I had also done the four other ships in the Iscandar Protectorate Fleet Thread, then started to do the red on the Haruna. But after just getting the first coat down on the stern, a big SPLAT of water came out of the airbrush... Done painting for today...I have to let the water traps dry and the hose too. I'd do more later today, but I'm heading out for dinner and won't be back until late, so tomorrow morning will be the next paint session.

So far...

tuna2VM.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you much!

It took a few coats of red to keep the shading from popping through too much, but I think I got it!

YMy8oVI.jpg

qk4RDZi.jpg

Time to put her together, then clear and start detail painting!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Last update before work takes up the next few days. Haruna is mostly together. Most of the trainer yellow trim pieces are on, though the ones on the belly are not as press-fit as the instructions say. Pushing them in between the black grill inserts and the hull caused some pieces to start to pull away from each other, so the tabs were snipped and glued flush. The bow is just press fit, and won't require glue as I can't get it off again... And I need to repaint the upper turrets. I neglected to primer them so they started with a brighter base color and thus stayed a brighter red. I tried tinting the color with Tamiya Smoke and that looked fine to the naked eye, but with the camera they now look like candy red... Oh well...:smile:

PYASNvV.jpg

• Like 3

Small update on Haruna. The turrets are now the correct shade.  A little touch up paint is needed, then she'll get a gloss coat and decal, then a bit of panel line work. Almost there!

iNVIgYH.jpgA

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2