Supersonic Pepsi Can - Revell Concorde 1/144

I know,some of you may think "how on earth can he churn out so many models in one week ?" ^_^

As my stash has grown bigger and bigger,I decided to increase my production rate and work on several airliners at once.

It's also more interesting to work on different projects on and off as only on one,at least for me...I have usually 3-4 kits on my bench on which I am working on and off so from time to time 2 airliners roll off production line almost simultaneously.

So,here we are,the last of the bunch is also probably the most special one.

The Air France Concorde in the striking Pepsi livery.

Pepsi struck a deal with Air France in 1996 to brand one of their Concordes in this special livery.

Altough the Jet could not fly more than Mach 1.7 due to the color,it flew 16 flights to 10 cities from Europe to the Middle East.

After that,the Concorde was repainted back in the usual all white Air France livery and entered regular service again.

The whole story can be found here...  http://jalopnik.com/remember-when-a-concorde-wore-this-ridiculous-pepsi-liv-1709488664

I saw pic of this Concorde back then and always though it looked cool.

So I was more than happy when I found the rather rare decal set for this particular aircraft.Having the decal set,I needed to get me another Revell Concorde as the other one in my stash will receive the Singapore / British Airways livery.

I am not sure but I think the decal set was made by Gio Decals.The set was already a bit aged but it was still usable,although with much care.

The tail logo was the most tricky part,esp. as they didn't really wanted to lay around the edges.I had to use a lot of decal softener and carefully repaint cracks that were unavoidable.

Its not as perfect as I wanted it but  I can live with it and from a normal distance its not really noticeable.

All additional markings come from the original Revell decal set as it has lots of detail to enhance the overall look.

The build was straight forward with only minor filling and sanding areas,esp. around the wing halves.

I also shortened the front gear but it still sits a tad too low on the back.

I airbrushed the whole kit by using Revell enamels.

Revell Blue 54 with some drops white 04 to get as close to the Pepsi blue as possible.The instructions from the decal set are no help in that matter.

Revell Gloss White 04 for all white parts and Aluminium for the landing gear.

The  engine hot sections were painted with a mixture of satin black and iron.

The fuselage and wings were also clear coated after all decals had been aplied.The Pepsi decals didn't really wanted to stick,probably due to their age ?,so the clear coating did the trick.

To tone down the too shiny surface a light mist of Testors Metallic Sealer was sprayed on the whole model.

Enough writing on with the pics....after this one the next batch of airliners awaits its turn on my bench...

20170325_182505_zps7gx0mbmc.jpg

20170325_182516_zpsfwtqnsue.jpg

20170325_182531_zpse2lvd5og.jpg

20170325_182630_zpsc2qgdqpi.jpg

20170325_182645_zpsydt9lqju.jpg

20170325_182658_zpsnplctfeb.jpg

20170325_182711_zpsusmevmft.jpg

20170325_182835_zpsf1yjpfhv.jpg

20170325_182849_zpsiiwadlrg.jpg

20170325_182539_zpsmps8dfrq.jpg

20170325_182550_zpsstut9mca.jpg

20170325_182600_zpseavj4oex.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 35

Workers spent 2,000 hours and used 200 liters of blue paint to complete the task of repainting Sierra Delta in the new Pepsi scheme. The task of transforming Sierra Delta was completed at Air France’s maintenance facility at Paris Orly Airport in strict secrecy, with workers obscuring the completed paint job by covering the jet in brown wrapping paper.

So you could  do a model Concorde and just wrap it in brown paper 

Imagine the comments at Telford about that 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Probably a lost cause, but does anyone make these markings in 1:72? I have a second Concorde I would love to do up as this one. Thanks if you have any info. 

So far,this is/was the only decal set available.Maybe one of the decal manufacturers who offers Concorde decals would do a set on demand ? 26,Draw Decal and F-dcal have Concorde decals in their catalogues.

First class very interesting model, nice idea to model something we will never see again.Thanks for including the cats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lindan said:

First class very interesting model, nice idea to model something we will never see again.Thanks for including the cats.

Thank you very much.

I like special liveries on airliners and try to build them if decals are available

Another cracking model Alex, and slightly bonkers in the fact the paint colour actually slowed the damn thing down! :goodjob: 

I also have a soft spot for F-BTSD as it was the first Concorde I ever saw, visiting Leeds/Bradford airport in 1986. 

Darren

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 6:55 PM, Alex1978 said:

20170325_182600_zpseavj4oex.jpg

Loving the build.....the paint job....and the markings, but you've really smashed the ball out of the park with your "with something else" pic !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2: (unfair advantage methinks ?)

Thanks for posting.

mike

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Loving the build.....the paint job....and the markings, but you've really smashed the ball out of the park with your "with something else" pic !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2: (unfair advantage methinks ?)

Thanks for posting.

mike

Thank you Mike.

I just thought you might  convince your wife now to get a cat...who could resist those eyes...? :winkgrin:

51 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

...who could resist those eyes...? :winkgrin:

Yep, they use those big kitty cat eyes to lull you into a false sense of well being & then unleash the claws....well, ours does anyway!! :D

Keith

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

I've never seen this livery before but it comes with your usual excellent finish Alex.

Was it restricted to Mach 1.7 because of the weight of the paint (ha!) or presumably so it didn't get stripped off?

My guess is that the large areas of blue would have been further disposed towards kinetic heating

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I've never seen this livery before but it comes with your usual excellent finish Alex.

Was it restricted to Mach 1.7 because of the weight of the paint (ha!) or presumably so it didn't get stripped off?

Thank you.

The speedlimit was because of the heat during supersonic flights.

Thats why all Concordes where mostly overall white with only the logos and titles in their respective colors.