Mig-15 bis ; Cuban Cigar

Hello everyone , this is the 72nd scale profipack kit from eduard finished as a Cuban Air Force jet .  Built entirely out of the box , the fit as well as the details are just excellent . The PE does a fantastic job with the cockpit though it is very difficult to photograph that once built up . The mig-15 is perhaps the most attractive jet in my opinion , I like to think of this jet as a cute tiger cub ( I suppose that makes the fulcrum the tiger ) :) 

The model was brush painted with gunze metal colour (aluminium/chrome ) and weathered using oil and airbrush post shading.

A7991AA5-825A-4C91-98F2-9746D47E094C_zps

8B0A36F0-D6CF-4781-89CE-78C77C60CFB3_zps

9EDF0D0D-4409-46AC-B899-23AEB17D8619_zps

655F414C-93DB-4C54-BF22-3E59FD83DD7C_zps

6ED2A0B7-A25C-4B78-B7A4-AFB220B2DDC0_zps

08297329-409D-4BB3-99D5-389687D7DB87_zps

Thanks for checking out the pics ,
Regards,
Basu

• Like 36

I really like that.  A very attractive scheme and, if I may say so, a terrific natural metal finish especially considering it is brush painted.  I might have to try out this range of paints if results as good as this can be achieved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I really like that.  A very attractive scheme and, if I may say so, a terrific natural metal finish especially considering it is brush painted.  I might have to try out this range of paints if results as good as this can be achieved. 

5 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Looks good, great finish, especially with a brush! nice choice of scheme

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Brush painted model of the month, Brilliant 😎 model 😊

5 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Very nice build, the weathering is quite effective too.

Thank you for the kind words :) , this paint is quite easy to brush paint ( Indeed that is the only way to apply it ) once you get the hang of it . Allow me to share the process as NMF is a tricky subject - 
1. Shake the bottle vigorously and load up a brush with the paint accumulated under the cap . Let is dry for 30-60 seconds . 
2. Apply the paint to the surface in a scrubbing motion - it buffs itself .  Any further buffing can be done by a tissue paper.
3. The finish is fragile in case of aluminium and can rub off easily .  
(use a good quality mask because copious amount of metal particle becomes airborne during application and buffing )

I alternate between this and the vallejo metal colour acrylics . 

The mig-15 finish is duller than  normal because I first sealed it with klear , obtained the panel variation using tamiya smoke and then sealed the final paint with another coate of klear.

If the finish is not clear coated , it looks like this -
WP_20160523_16_35_37_Pro_zps4exujhml.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  That Lightning looks great.  As me and my airbrush are not on speaking terms at the moment and having a stack of Lightnings (of the English Electric variety) to build, this could be the way ahead for me.

• Like 2

Hi Basu,

That's a nicely finished MiG (I have this kit, too – you must be about half-a-dozen builds ahead of me on everything!).

I agree with what others have said, and think your NMF is great. I appreciate the detailed methods you've given and will keep an eye out for Gunze paints, although my LHS doesn't carry them (are these ones acrylic, oil or lacquer?)

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Superb NMF, and I do agree about the MiG-15 looking good. Also, thanks a lot for the application tips!

Quoting Dazey above – are thos Gunze metallics acrylic or solven based?

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

17 hours ago, Dazey said:

I agree with what others have said, and think your NMF is great. I appreciate the detailed methods you've given and will keep an eye out for Gunze paints, although my LHS doesn't carry them (are these ones acrylic, oil or lacquer?)

16 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Quoting Dazey above – are thos Gunze metallics acrylic or solven based?

Thanks a lot guys for the appreciating words :)

On the gunze paint , they are solvent based . For brush application , they are to be applied straight out of the bottle without thinning . I have found odourless turpentine oil (which I use for oil wash ) can be used to remove the paint if you wish to do so .  Speaking of acrylics , have you tried the metal colour line up from vallejo ? I find them really good and easy to use . 

I purchased these paints from a Hongkong based seller (ebay ) - they cost around 5.5$ per bottle including postage.   However I recall seeing these paints at the jadar hobby site as well , it is a very good webstore if you have never shopped there before . 

A bit more on these paints -
1.  The aluminium shade , though the most useful , is fragile in the sense that it rubs off easily unless clear coated - the downside is any kind of clear coat will subdue the lustre .
2. The chrome suffers from no such defect - it is also a very useful paint and personally , I will suggest you definitely get this for painting those drop tanks etc for which it makes no sense to load up the airbrush and the associated chores . One can paint jets like the starfighter with the chrome shade too . 
3. The stainless steel and gunmetal shades are useful for painting guns , exhaust nozzle etc .  

A single bottle has enough paint for two 72nd scale p-38 lightning .  There is an initial learning curve , my first attempt with these paints was a disaster but once you get the hang of it , it is fairly straightforward .  Cheers :)

Hi Basu,

6 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Thanks a lot guys for the appreciating words :)

On the gunze paint , they are solvent based . For brush application , they are to be applied straight out of the bottle without thinning . I have found odourless turpentine oil (which I use for oil wash ) can be used to remove the paint if you wish to do so .  Speaking of acrylics , have you tried the metal colour line up from vallejo ? I find them really good and easy to use . 

Thanks for the extra information. Do you think the Vallejo metal colours would be the better choice for airbrush use?

Regards,

David

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hi Basu,

Thanks for the extra information. Do you think the Vallejo metal colours would be the better choice for airbrush use?

Regards,

David

I consider the vallejo metal colour range to be very good and will certainly recommend them . I have never used aclad etc and it goes without saying the vallejo paints cannot match those solvent based paints but as far as acrylics are concerned , they are about as good as one can expect - they are very easy to spray , don't clog the brush , don't require thinning and easy to clean from the brush . Just avoid the dull aluminium shade , it is notoriously difficult to work with . Even if you are not in favour of acrylics for replicating aluminium surface , I will still suggest the 'white aluminium' shade as it is a good match for the silver painted RAF jets ( meteor etc ). 

Compared against the gunze paints , the gunze paints are more difficult to work with but offer better result . I juggle between them and the vallejo based on mood :)