Aircraft of the British Pacific Fleet in 1/48th

NAVY870

Long term plan to do the BPF birds in 48th with a couple of variants of each. 

What I have so far

Corsair - Tamiya

Hellcat - Eduard / Otaki

Avenger - Accurate Miniature

Barracuda - Special Hobby

Firebox - Grand Phoenix / Special Hobby

Walrus - Classic Airframe (will be turfed as soon as Airfix shows up

Expeditor - Revell

What did I miss?

Yup,... Seafire III as Jonners says,....best option is Special Hobby again.

Depending on which other support aircraft you want to include as well as the Expeditor,.... there is the Vengeance, Sea Otter, Stinson Reliant .

For the Eastern. East Indies Fleet there are even more types,

Cheers

Tony. 

1 hour ago, cossack52 said:

revell/special hobby seafire xv

Just curious as I'm away from my references right now, I know Seafire XV's appeared in BPF markings but did they make it to the Fleet before the end of the war or was their use after the war?

I agree they should certainly feature in any BPF collection.

2 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Wez

No, there were no Griffon engine Seafires in combat during WWII. IIRC they were all still in Australia. Cheers

Jure

Thanks Jure,

It's the sort of thing I could easily have looked up if I were at home but unfortunately I'm not.

Wez

How about the Stringbag? IIRC they were operational in the BPF. In that case, Tamiya's kit is your only real option.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I apologize for the waste of electrons. :rage:

The big gaps in this list are also in the second line aircraft such as Vultee Vengeance and Miles Martinet target tugs. AZ and Magna will fill these gaps. Both types operated from Nowra and there were Vengeance' at Manus. Drawn from RAAF stocks. IIRC there were also some ex-RAAF Tiger Moths on BPF charge.

Hi All!

An easy way to do a Seafire IIc or III is to use the Hasegawa Vb fuselage and the ICM IX wings. They fit fairly well together and it looks better than the Special Hobby, which I suspect the wing is too far back.To add the wing to the Vb fuselage it takes me about 1.5 hours.

If anybody needs more info e-mail me at:  bad at cfl dot rr dot com

Bruce

And.....

Corsair II(-1A and -1D) (Tamiya)

Corsair IV (-1A and _1D) (Tamiya)

Hellcat I Otaki or Eduard)

Hellcat II Eduard)

Avenger I (TBM-1B and -1C) (Accurate Miniatures)

Avenger II(-1 and -1C) (Accurate Miniatures)

Avenger III (Accurate Miniatures)

Firefly I (Grand Phoenix and AZ)

Barracuda II (Special Hobby)

Seafire L.III (conversion)

Seafire FR.III (conversion)

Plus many carriers had a Sea Otter (?) or Walrus (forthcoming Airfix)

Plus all of those secondary a/c

Bruce

On 25/03/2017 at 11:24 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

And the Seafire III is rather significant for a BPF collection - taking part in the last British combat action, and kills of WW2, on 15th August 1945 over Tokyo Bay if I recall

Jonners

NAS 887 & 894 from Indefatigable if I'm not mistaken..  

S and Aircraft number on tail, unlike Implacable which had N on the tail but aircraft number either side off fuselage roundel..

7 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

Hi All!

An easy way to do a Seafire IIc or III is to use the Hasegawa Vb fuselage and the ICM IX wings. They fit fairly well together and it looks better than the Special Hobby, which I suspect the wing is too far back.To add the wing to the Vb fuselage it takes me about 1.5 hours.

If anybody needs more info e-mail me at:  bad at cfl dot rr dot com

Bruce

but, the SH Seafire III 'last flights over the pacific' boxing

1528_rd.jpg

does have the right markings,  plus hook, folding wing, strengthening plates etc.

For some reason the SH Spitfire kits  get niggled on a lot,  and, yes, the wing is 'too far back'  as it's a bit short in the fuselage, but the Hase V is a little slim, and it's too short as well, IIRC, in the same place as the Hase V....  

this is the SH Seafire III with an extension, the orange on the rear wing fillet is how much you need  to remove

SH_Seafire_III_adjusted_IMG_0445.jpg

note the light grey fuselage is the new tool Airfix V,  which  is rated as being right by everyonewho has an opinion on Spitfire kits

and this from above,  the orange is the  bit too remove, when you move the wing

Seafire%20III%20wingroot%20mod%20IMG_060

this shows just how 'short' the SH kit is compared to the new tool Airfix VB, and how much and where you  need to add a couple of splices if you think it's needed.  Note these are lined up on the cutting  matt grid

AF_vs_SH_align_on_mat_IMG_0451.jpg 

see  the links in here for  more about the SH Spitfire/Seafire family

Steve

have a read, but IMO even faffing about with the splices is easier than cross kitting, as you still need to then fill and fair in the different underwing cooler between the V  and IX, and then add the naval stuff, and deal with the ICM having cack wheel hubs,  etc etc. when the SH kits has the rest of whe you need in the box, plus the right decals and some useful etch.

And the right cockpit sidewalls, unlike most older Spitfire kits.

And,  worth noting  that if you want a Avenger with folded wings the Hobby Boss Avenger has them, and this seems to be one of Hobby Boss better kits (prob scaled down from the 1/32nd Trumpeter Avenger)  and is supposed to have a better canopy, I've read that  the AM Avenger has a canopy that is a bit too narrow at the top, the HB is supposed to be better.

here's a inbox review of the HB

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3765

and 

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TBF1C.html

HTH

• Like 2

But Hobbyboss Avenger rather annoyingly does not have FAA observer blister windows so you need to make them or get them from an AM/Italeri kit.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone,

I understand Sworfishes and Wildcat Vs served in the East Indies Fleet. Depending on how stretched or precise your definition of "BPF" is, you could consider them. In such a case, Hobbyboss Wildcat FM-1 is perfect, and there are markings for a EIF in a Xtradecals sheet (I think one in the "Yanks with Roundels" series). I have also seen decals for a Swordfish, but nowadays I can only fin a Print Scale sheet.

Fernando

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Hi, everyone,

I understand Sworfishes and Wildcat Vs served in the East Indies Fleet. Depending on how stretched or precise your definition of "BPF" is, you could consider them.

But precisely they are 2 different entities, with the RN's Eastern Fleet dividing into the British Pacific Fleet and East Indies Fleet on 22 November 1944.

17 minutes ago, Murrodels said:

Hey, 
What about the 1/48th PBY Catalina by Revell?I'm sure I seen a picture of one when it was serving with the BPF?

Cheers!

The Fleet Air Arm did not operate Catalinas.  What you saw was probably either an RAF South Eastern Asia Command aircraft (dark blue/light blue roundels) or an Australian one (dark blue/white roundels). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seahawk said:

But precisely they are 2 different entities, with the RN's Eastern Fleet dividing into the British Pacific Fleet and East Indies Fleet on 22 November 1944.

Hi, Seahawk,

That's exactly why I spoke of how precise you wanted your boundaries to be. Many people would settle with "anything with White and Blue roundels on it" (that is, with anything but European standard roundels), while some others will segregate "White and Blue Roundels (Mostly Small)" and "Big White and Blue Roundels and Bars".

Regards.

Fernando

• Like 1