Photographic Reconnaissance Hawker Hurricanes

Aaron

Hello everyone, 

As many of you know I am new to this forum and I hope I am posting this is the correct area of the forum. 

I am looking to build a selection of models based around the PR MkI and MkII Hawker Hurricanes and as I am based in Gloucester, I know the Gloster Aircraft Company built approx 2,000 Hurricanes for use during WWII and some of these were converted for PR use, but I was wondering if anyone has got any general photographs of the PR Hurricanes which I could possible use as a reference point? 

I look forward to hear from anyone who is able to help. 

Thank you you all in advance, 

Aaron

You might try the links below A PR Hurricane .would make a very interesting and colorful model! Best I could do- hopefully one of our resident experts can help- sorry!

Mike

https://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/recce_ac/RAFARP2.html

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/a6/bb/d1a6bb64efa2a893a2933b43cd78ad24.jpg

http://www.airvectors.net/avhurr.html#m5

Hi,

The SAM Publications book on the Hurricane comes with all the variations of PR and TacPR Hurricanes (the drawing in the Airrecce page comes from it), as well as a list of serial per production block. Also, Model Alliance decal sheet comes with several (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML48149) Most difficult would be building the camera bulge in some PR.II machines, as well as getting a proper Mk.II with Vokes filter.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

Scale hasn't been mentioned, but there are a number of good (if not yet perfect) kits in 1/72 (and, I thought, in 1/48) that will give you a Mk.II with a Vokes - a Mk.I  with a Vokes is quite another matter in 1/72, as the two fairings are different.  Perhaps this is what you meant?  I entirely agree that getting the camera bulge (bulges?) right would be even more difficult.

There used to be a 1/72 resin camera bulge - from memory by LF models - but looking on the big H site nothing showed up.

I used to have one but must have sold it. It looked ok but maybe not 100% accurate. I think there's also been a conversion featured in a magazine (MAM ?)

Looking at kits there is a vastly expensive resin one from Omega

Edited by rossm

3 minutes ago, rossm said:

There used to be a 1/72 resin camera bulge - from memory by LF models - but looking on the big H site nothing showed up.

And also one by SAM Magazine, patterned by Paul Lucas and possibly released to complement a Neil Robinson article on PR Hurricanes.  I have one or two somewhere.  At least I think it was SAM: the movement of personnel between SAM, SAMI and, if it existed then, MAM got a bit confusing around that time.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2017 at 5:42 PM, Graham Boak said:

there are a number of good (if not yet perfect) kits in 1/72 (and, I thought, in 1/48) that will give you a Mk.II with a Vokes - a Mk.I  with a Vokes is quite another matter in 1/72, as the two fairings are different.  Perhaps this is what you meant?  I entirely agree that getting the camera bulge (bulges?) right would be even more difficult.

Problem is the availability nowadays of the Hasegawa kit, in any boxing containing the proper pieces for a Mk.IIb/c/d trop. The only widely  available is the "Racer" boxing, a Mk.IIc with conversion parts. I wouldn't recommend the Italeri one. Mk.Is I have seen a Trop in LuckyM, the "South African AF" boxing. They are scarce (and pricey) even on ebay. Of course, there is the new Airfix Mk.I Trop.

Camera bulges I know not of, though Pavla and Airwaves do have a Spitifire PR.Ic/d set with the one they use to carry under right (?) wing, which has a sort of resemblance and could provide a basis. There were some PR.IIc (or TacR?) that had the cameras showing straight out of the rear fuselage belly.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando