Macross Elysion Carrier

Hi folks,

Finished off this quickie project this week - the elapsed time is quite long but the time I actually worked on it is pretty short as it was waiting for the Cosmo Zero. Another enjoyable little kit from Bandai with crisp details which belie the tiny size.

33632158745_ec2a349de7_b.jpg

(click for more/bigger)

The base is another rubberwood coaster with a sheet of clear plastic on top. I painted the bottom with ocean colours in reverse, and then applied tinted gel on the top to get waves. The two layers give a nice impression of depth, albeit one that might be a bit unrealistic for the scale. The gel texture is a bit lumpy and messy in detail but if you look from normal viewing distance I think it does the job. The wave crests are just a bit of white paint, variously sponged, drybrushed and painted on and then wiped with a finger along the wave to break up the shape.

33248484450_8a5e1acec0_b.jpg

32818374023_072c665c19_b.jpg

I forgot to take a scale cue picture, but the model is just under 100mm long.

33248490030_0915ed7a6e_b.jpg

No problems with cracking plastic on this one - I did give it a good coat of Klear before doing any weathering, maybe that did the trick?

Thanks for looking!

Will

• Like 14

Thanks all! The water was fun to do, as was the detail painting after I psyched myself up for it. Except perhaps for those wretched hexagons on the (elevator?) deck.

As far as I can tell the plastic felt like the same usual Bandai - certainly I did have some cracking with the engines on the Ultraman VTOL which is another Mecha Colle offering.

Will

Thanks, it helps that the detail is moulded quite deeply. So for the "glowing" markings I filled the recesses with enamels and then cleaned off any spillage.

I was tempted to paint the turrets but decided discretion was the better part of valour and ran away :P

Will