Pinholes in resin - how to rectify?

goon

Hi gang,

I'm working on the Alley Cat Tucano at the moment. It's going well, but the casting for the nose exhibits dozens if not hundreds of pinholes in the surface. This is not something I have had to deal with in my limited experience of resin parts so far. What's the best way of making short work of filling them?

Thanks,

Gareth 

super glue................get a pin, dip into pool of superglue and just touch the top of the pin into the hole.......job done, if the hole is a big one, same thing, fill with superglue and just drop bicarbonate of soda in the hole with the superglue in it, dries instantly in seconds to ROCK HARD.....then just sand it down to contour

• Like 1

Try this:

Drill the holes out to a known size that you have rod for

resinbubbles1.jpg

Use CA to glue the rod into the holes

resinbubbles2.jpg

Nip the rod off as flush as you can when it is cured

resinbubbles3.jpg

Sand it all flush

resinbubbles4.jpg

22 minutes ago, rayprit said:

dries instantly in seconds

Oxymoron alert! :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Try this:

Drill the holes out to a known size that you have rod for

resinbubbles1.jpg

Use CA to glue the rod into the holes

resinbubbles2.jpg

Nip the rod off as flush as you can when it is cured

resinbubbles3.jpg

Sand it all flush

resinbubbles4.jpg

Oxymoron alert! :lol:

I did origonally use to do that Mike, but passed ages ago when I found ot the super glue method, I now can repair and carry on working on the part immediatly once the bicarb hits the glue..........plus, your method is fine if you have the occasionally hole, as you do in your picture. There is a video on you tube of a man testing superglue and bicarb, puts a drop on his workbench then hits it with a hammer and even trys to chisel into it......just showing you how tough the mix is

With accurate armour kits, since they moved from white metal parts to resin, pin holes are a common feature and super glue is the way, not worth asking for replacement parts, been down that path, replacement parts are sent, generally in the same condition.  My Antar, Stalwarts and Ferrets were a warren of holes

13 hours ago, goon said:

Hi gang,

I'm working on the Alley Cat Tucano at the moment. It's going well, but the casting for the nose exhibits dozens if not hundreds of pinholes in the surface. This is not something I have had to deal with in my limited experience of resin parts so far. What's the best way of making short work of filling them?

Thanks,

Gareth 

Recently I encountered the same problem on an Anigrand 1/72 A-12 Avenger II. The first photo shows how all the pin holes that I found and opened up with a needle, for filling with CA glue. If you look closely in the canopy coaming area, you can see some of the pinholes as they appeared under the Mr Surfacer primer.

avenger-06.jpg

In the second photo, you see all the holes filled with superglue and sanded flat, ready for another coat of Mr Surfacer. It's a lot of work, and I'm very disappointed in the casting quality of Anigrand.

avenger-07.jpg

On the positive side, after a ton of work the model is starting to look nice.

Rob

I like Don's suggestion of contacting Alley Cat.  Mike's seems a little too labour intensive to my tastes!  Failing the Alley Cat route, CA or even Mr. Surfacer would be my choices.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The part is already super glued to the main fuselage so taking it off for a replacement would be a pain. I tried bentwaters' suggestion of Perfect Plastic Putty and it worked a treat. Simply smear it on, working it in to the holes and smooth the excess away. Hardly even needs cleaning up. :yes: