This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Help For Heroes Needs Your Help

96 posts in this topic

If you look at the website the front page has a photo of every almost every delivery weve had.

www.modelsforheroes.co.uk

13 hours ago, malcchilds said:

Brtimodeller has been by far the biggest supporter and donator of kits.  Its really quite wonderful.

I did tell you we'd got a good bunch here, just don't tell them or it'll go to their heads ;)

2 people like this

Hi everyone, thought id update you all on goings on here at M4H towers.

We have had over x100 kits donated now. I have x8 80 litre boxes full of kits in storage. Our facebook presence has grown with over 200 likes whatever that means.  Facebook keeps reminding me how important it is to get 'Likes'!  Im still trying to source a large quantity of decent side cutters for a reasonable price. If you can help with that please drop me a PM or an email.  We've had major suppliers donate generously; Revell, Eduard and a company that make the wooden 3D puzzle models called Quay donated a very heavy box of wooden kits.   But more importantly we've now sent out two boxes. One to Combat Stress in Shropshire and one to Scotty's Little Soldier's in Kings Lynn.  I'm starting teaching next week at Tedworth with Ozzy, a member from this forum who has volunteered his time to help.  I will do my very best to document and photograph what I can for you all to see what we get up to and the residents build.

Ive been continually impressed with the response from you Britmodellers you really are an ok bunch. Thanks to EVERYONE for your efforts. If I wore a hat, I would tip it.

You can see the boxes and keep up with updates on our facebook, twitter or here: http://www.modelsforheroes.co.uk/news

3 people like this

Good luck Malcolm, for your first session at Tedworth house tomorrow. I'm looking forward to assisting you on Wednesday evening.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Good luck Malcolm, for your first session at Tedworth house tomorrow. I'm looking forward to assisting you on Wednesday evening.

why thank you Ozzy. See you there wednesday. :)

1 person likes this

Good luck for Wednesday guys, I bet it will be a good day with a bit of Military 'humour....black or otherwise' thrown in.

1 person likes this

Hi Chaps.

Today I spent the Afternoon with the residents of Tedworth House, teaching model making.  It was an excellent session.  The guys were straight into the kits we had and started ploughing through the instructions.  It was calm, it was quiet and joyful. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and said that they were surprised at how much fun it was. 

Two of the guys said they were going to return to my longer drop-in modelling session tomorrow and finish their kits.

They also said that they would buy a kit when they got home!

Tomorrow I will endevaour to take some better photographs, but rest assured there were happy faces :) 

18670956_432485207118761_422501505710927

18664259_432485373785411_408889806691293

DAiIMuhXsAAhv47.jpg:large

Thanks for this support guys. Its truly magnificent.

2 people like this

Good work fella.

12 hours ago, malcchilds said:

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and said that they were surprised at how much fun it was. 

That's excellent ^_^ hopefully things will continue in that vein until you need more kits :)  Do post up additional requests if you have any outstanding requirements, such as paints, more kits etc.  I'm certain there are members out there with stuff they can give, or that haven't yet seen the announcement :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike! Will do. 

At the moment we need nice side cutters and struggling to find some good ones at a good price. Ive got draper tools lined up to give me a quote but no dice yet.  It's funding that we need currently. Kits we are swimming in! :)

There have been some "Xuron" shears from China on eBay for a couple of quid a pop that people have been saying good things about, despite doubts about their provenance.  Maybe you could get some of those with the cash donations? :hmmm: There's a thread in the bargains section, IIRC?

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, malcchilds said:

It's funding that we need currently.

Hello Malc

Great news that the lads and ladies are find peace in this simple hobby of ours. How would one donate if one so wanted?

Keep up the good work .

Gary

Hi mate.

I have a crowdfunding site and a PayPal link on my website.

Www.modelsforheroes.co.uk/donate

Or you can send a cheque to Models for Heroes at the address listed on Original Post.

Malc

Had a fantastic night of model making at Tedworth house, I saw the camper van progress it's got a nice coat of blue paint. There was also a Sherman, a lepold, an M10 tank destroyer. The Tedworth house staff built a Wooden Sherman. A really good session of modelling had by all.:yahoo:

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Had a fantastic night of model making at Tedworth house, I saw the camper van progress it's got a nice coat of blue paint. There was also a Sherman, a lepold, an M10 tank destroyer. The Tedworth house staff built a Wooden Sherman. A really good session of modelling had by all.:yahoo:

Id echo your words, it was a massive success. Plus It was great to meet you Ozzy.

1 person likes this

As promised...

Here's some photographs of the modelling session the residents at Tedworth House enjoyed last night.  Over both days there was 8 residents taking advantage of the generosity of Britmodellers.  There were plenty of kits to go around, plenty of supplies and materials to use.  The guys there got so involved that time slipped away so quickly.  We had to leave some supplies there as the residents wanted to finish their models in the following days, quite rightly.

If it wasn't for the amazing support I've had from this forum i wouldn't have been able to hold this session and make it the success.  The next session will be in June at Chavasse House and I will hope to take photos there too.

To continue these sessions across the country to help out these service personnel for as long as they need, we need a constant supply of kits, funds and supplies. www,modelsforheroes.co.uk/donate for details on how to donate.

18664416_433048573729091_633436680260398

18582330_433048547062427_481730270512943

18620115_433048617062420_350207572749929

18620409_433048747062407_239546232468439

18582383_433048647062417_294600581111617

18620115_433048850395730_490583544480496

Thanks for looking guys,

Edited by malcchilds
adding pics
6 people like this

21 hours ago, Mike said:

There have been some "Xuron" shears from China on eBay for a couple of quid a pop that people have been saying good things about, despite doubts about their provenance.  Maybe you could get some of those with the cash donations? :hmmm: There's a thread in the bargains section, IIRC?

I use the cheapo electronic wire cutters from china; they're fine for plastic but not so great for brass wire.

I have some on order, to send on to this when I get them.

It takes a few weeks for them to arrive

I can send two pair now if you need them?

Just now, Black Knight said:

I use the cheapo electronic wire cutters from china; they're fine for plastic but not so great for brass wire.

I have some on order, to send on to this when I get them.

It takes a few weeks for them to arrive

I can send two pair now if you need them?

Hi Black Kinight.  If you send them all at once that will save you on postage. I have a few spare currently.  Thanks mate!!  Are these the ones that Mike is talking about?

They might be - see below

I just checked; usually I get stuff from China in about 10 - 14 days, but I only ordered these recently so it might be a few weeks yet till they arrive

Postage - so what; if you require them you can have them.

PS; for the reason of not knowing; I am getting you 5 pairs

like these uns

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Electrical-Wire-Cable-Cutter-Cutting-Plier-Side-Snips-Flush-Pliers-Tool-/121664053208?hash=item1c53be1fd8

2 people like this

10 hours ago, malcchilds said:

Id echo your words, it was a massive success. Plus It was great to meet you Ozzy.

:ditto: already looking forward to next months session, thanks for coming up with idea for such a worthwhile cause.