This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Help For Heroes Needs Your Help

96 posts in this topic

You may remember that we once did a "Kits for Kandahar" campaign to keep the squaddies entertained during those long hot stints out in the sandier areas of Afghanistan.  That was a very successful and fun way of giving a little back to our boys in MTP, but this time  we're trying to raise some supplies for those that have done their stint, and come home with injuries of one sort or another due to their time there.  Malcolm Childs has been in touch asking if we can be of assistance as follows:

The Help for Heroes Tedworth House Recovery Centre near Salisbury provides occupational therapy to veterans and injured service men and women.  The residents can be suffering from a range of injuries from PTSD to Brain and Spinal Injury.  The goal at Tedworth House is to support their treatment and help them back into employment.

Art Therapy is used to introduce the residents to new activities through a communicative outlet encouraging focus, patience and fine motor skills.  Scale Modelling is one of the courses that is offered and Malcolm volunteers, running the sessions supported by the Occupational Therapist team.

The sessions are 1 hour with approximately 10 people. It gives the residents an opportunity to start a kit and experience the hobby, many possibly for the very first time.  Following that a voluntary evening session is offered for residents to finish their models and to discuss how they can continue the hobby at home through online forums, magazines, IPMS branches etc. 

The Recovery Centre is entirely charity driven and so to offer the best experience they need donations of model kits and making materials.  For example:cutting mats, glues, clippers, paints, brushes, and model making magazines.  We need donations of small simple model kits (preferably not current military vehicles).  Following the sessions the kits and materials may be taken home by residents for completion.

During the session Malcolm will endeavour to photograph some builds and post them up for our enjoyment.

Any questions: malcchilds.jpg   You can also contact him here under the username Malcchilds.

I've put the email address in as a graphic to stop him getting spammed, so if you're emailing him, transcribe the address carefully.

You can also now contact them by the delights of Social Media http://www.facebook.com/modelsforheroes/ and Twitter @modelsforheroes

Donations should be sent to:

(Models for Heroes)

Malcolm Childs

1 Harrier Road

Bishops Green

NEWBURY

RG20 4AB

We've ordered a bunch of A4 cutting mats for the lads & lasses, and we're going to have a look in our collective stashes for some simple kits to bump start the campaign.  If you've got anything that you can spare and think it might be suitable, Malcolm with be very happy to hear from you.

13 people like this

Great Idea that. Will put some bits together on the weekend and post it off 👍🏿

2 people like this

Thanks Mike and the team for getting Britmodeller involved.  Were looking forward to the donations and as Mike says you can get in contact with me at the email address above or PM me on this site.

3 people like this

What a great idea, and I must say a very worthy cause to help our brave servicemen and women.

Will post out on Monday,1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero and a North American Mustang P51D/K.

Let's get behind our heroes after all they fought up front for us!

4 people like this

As promised some stuff being sent today. Had a good dig out and its all stuff that I'm not likely to use or going to be replaced. 

3 kits, they are 1/72 tomcats, different boxes but all italeri plastic. Some spare/AM decals as most were all gash. 

Some tools, glue, brushes, cutting mat and thinner/paints too 👍🏿

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 people like this

The cutting mats have arrived, so now I need to get up into the loft to see what else I can send.  Aren't cutting mats heavy? :lol: I almost collapsed under the weight when the postie handed them to me :owww:

2 people like this

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:34, allyby said:

What a great idea, and I must say a very worthy cause to help our brave servicemen and women.

Will post out on Monday,1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero and a North American Mustang P51D/K.

Sorry but I've been ill the last couple of day's, posted out today with my Hermes.

This is a great idea, I'll have a look through the stash and send Malc a couple of kits, and maybe a few bits of "modelling supplies".

1 person likes this

Nice one guys - the more the merrier.  We should be alright for mats now though, but knives, files, adhesives and paint as well as kits should still be needed :)

Great stuff Mike,I,ll get a collection of kit's put together over the weekend got a half dozen going nowhere.

1 person likes this

This is a super response, thank you fellas. I will let you know as each parcel arrives. Allyby, I received your email notification today from My Hermes ta!

1 person likes this

Great idea! I am back in the UK next week so I will have a sort through and bring back what I can and post on.

Christian, exiled to africa

1 person likes this

Bump for visibility :)

1 person likes this

On 24/03/2017 at 10:34, allyby said:

Your donation arrived this morning!!  I will be honest with you, im over-joyed to see those kits. They're in storage now ready to bring some therapy and respite to our wounded.

Thank you.

1 person likes this

Quick update on Models for Heroes.  We now have a Facebook and Twitter presence. If you use social media it will great to see you on there and you can keep up to date with our news.

Http://www.facebook.com/modelsforheroes/

Twitter @modelsforheroes

Like, subscribe, follow, sign up or whatever. :)

Pretty sure I can raid the stash and send something your way. Give me a couple of days to sort myself out.

Cheers

1 person likes this

I'm going into the loft... wish me luck! :unsure:

3 people like this

Ok - I survived, and I've come back down with an eclectic mixture of former review samples and personal stuff, plus of course the oft mentioned cutting mats.  Here's the stack:

modelsforheroes.jpg

I just need a little daylight to find a box big enough.  I've swept the boxes for aftermarket, as we don't want to freak the poor folks out, but I'll have another squint in the Foxbat box shoirtly, as I'm sure there was a Neomega cockpit in there.  Probably not suitable for novices :hmmm:

4 people like this

I think Airfix starter kits will be ideal for this. I'll pick up a couple of car kits.

3 people like this

That's a good plan Smudge... not everyone likes wings either :)

I've decided I'm not going to build my Hobbycraft Ju88G I picked up recently so that can be sent next week once I get a box to send it in.

2 people like this

Good on ya :clap2:

On 01/04/2017 at 21:37, Smudge said:

I think Airfix starter kits will be ideal for this. I'll pick up a couple of car kits.

Absolutely they are!  Thank you Smudge

On 01/04/2017 at 22:34, Darby said:

I've decided I'm not going to build my Hobbycraft Ju88G I picked up recently so that can be sent next week once I get a box to send it in.

Thank you Darby, thats kind of you.