Republic P-47D Thunderbolt - Phyl Darlin 9th AF, 510th FS, 405th FG

Some of you may remember this build from last years STGB, and may also recall that at the time I said that there were plans to pass it to the cousin (Sandra) of a friend whose father Jimmy had served with the USAAF as a Private First Class. Her mother joined the RAF and eventually worked at Bletchley Park in Codes and Cyphers, SECTION X.

Sandra has written a book titled Sugar Plum about her race to see her biological father before his death. The cover has an image of Jimmy stood on the wing of a P-47, and whilst I have no way of knowing the aircraft identity or the location in the shot, I have used some poetic license to recreate a similar view in 1/72nd scale when his unit was serving in France.

Several figures donated body parts to get the right pose for Jimmy -  just call me Dr Frankenstein.

DSC01816_zpsuj3tpvo8.jpg

DSC01817_zpsdn90ft1l.jpg

DSC01818_zps9mo2wxd4.jpg

This will be passed on to Sandra once I can get it down to my friends in Wellingborough..

• Like 22

Hi John,

even all these years later, this is a touching gesture. 

Boy, am I glad to see you posting models, not only beautifully built (as always), but who do not require the use of a microscope in order to be admired.

This P-47 is really outstanding!

Congratulations!!!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Jean, I enjoyed this build probably because of the links with the past.

From Margaret's notes which are included as part of the epilogue in Sandra's book. Jimmy and Margaret met at a dance held on the US Base, Charmy Down. They continued to see each other until Jimmy was about to be posted to France as part of the D-Day preparations. She went AWOL and tried to get to Christchurch to see him before he left, she was unsuccessful in her attempts and when she got back to camp was told that she faced a possible Court Marshall. Jimmy was given special leave and on his return they were married at Bletchley Parish Church by an RAF Padre with a special licence. They shared another spell of leave in November '45 and Sandra was born in August '46. Jimmy returned to the States from France after peace was declared and Margaret had planned to join him later under the GI Bride scheme.

They continued to write and he was working hard with his brother to set up a club. Margaret goes on to say that the GI Bride rules were changed with no infant under 6 months being allowed to travel due to a number of them falling ill on the journey. Jimmy wrote and asked when she was going to arrive and she kept replying and explaining about the new rules. Eventually divorce papers arrived and Margaret tried to find out the reasons why, but no information was forthcoming. It wasn't until Sandra's visit that the facts came to light. Apparently Jimmy's mother had withheld Margaret's letters and this was only discovered by him when he was clearing things after her death. 

I must get back to some micro-scale modelling now though, this gigantic scale hurts my eyes. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...