1/48 Kittyhawk SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1

For my sins, this will be my next build, Kittyhawk's Jaguar GR.1. 
It has it's issues, so lets see what happens. What's the worst that could happen?! :)
I am going to build a "wheels-up" example of a 41 Sqn aircraft, in a winter camouflage. This was used when on Arctic Warfare exercise in Norway. 
Extra's include Aires resin cockpit set, Kits World decals, Master Models pitot, and a PJ Production resin RAF pilot.

33254905341_3a52d66167.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33382585425_ac1b444797.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33254908351_a7a7473321.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Made a start on the cockpit. 
The Aires resin set is very good, with nice detailing, PE instrument panel, and seat. I haven't fitted the belts to the seat, as I will be installing a pilot figure.
Regarding the fuselage. The instructions show assembling the front and rear sections separately, then joining them at a later stage of the build. I've decided to join the front and rear sections together now, so there just the 2 halves to assemble in the "normal" manner.
Lastly, on a spare fuselage piece, I've experimented with the painting of the winter camo scheme. I've done this using a narrow flat brush, and hand painted the white on. Best result was with Akan Faded White, onto a matt varnished surface. It will take a while to paint the whole fuselage, but I think it reflects the haphazard way in which the camo was originally hand painted onto the airframes.

32751200324_a1577afb32.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32751199824_dece98a7fc.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33593693545_17cb623680.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33593695445_0c319d214e.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32751202024_e9cb25f50c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33445271781_e5962f1259.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 8

Good luck with buttoning it up. The panels seem to be made for posing open and don't fit too good when closed.

Watch the intakes for fit aswell. I made the mistake of assembling them before checking against the fuselage. Ended up sanding all the aux air door details off to get them flush.

Will be watching with interest.

Rob.

• Like 2

Hi 

I did the same scheme on a Hasegawa 1/72 Jag, to do the winter camo I painted the normal scheme then applied random spots of Maskol, oversprayed (I guess you could brush paint too) the white then picked off the masking- worked pretty good and you also got some chipped/worn effects to the "blobs".

Might be worth a try

Rob

• Like 2

On 24/03/2017 at 0:06 AM, Phone Phixer said:

Good luck with buttoning it up. The panels seem to be made for posing open and don't fit too good when closed.

Watch the intakes for fit aswell. I made the mistake of assembling them before checking against the fuselage. Ended up sanding all the aux air door details off to get them flush.

Will be watching with interest.

Rob.

Thanks for the tips Rob :)

On 24/03/2017 at 10:11 AM, Plasticbasher said:

Hi 

I did the same scheme on a Hasegawa 1/72 Jag, to do the winter camo I painted the normal scheme then applied random spots of Maskol, oversprayed (I guess you could brush paint too) the white then picked off the masking- worked pretty good and you also got some chipped/worn effects to the "blobs".

Might be worth a try

Rob

On 24/03/2017 at 10:13 AM, Plasticbasher said:

Oh, and good luck with the build, my Kittyhawk Jag fought like a tiger. Fit is approximate in several places but it looks like it should when finished.

Rob

Thanks Rob.  

I've experimented with handpainting the winter camo, as seen in the last photo of Post 1.  Seems to work best on a matt finish.  The only for trying this method is because I've read that the camo was brushed, roller, or mopped on, with anything that came to hand at the time.  Looks closely at the Jaguar photos, and you'll see how rough the camo was applied. :D

Edited by Wee Beastie
  • Like 1

Nice start there and a challenging scheme you've chosen.  I've built this kit and I can echo the others who say you need to dry fit every piece - twice. But it can be built into a good model

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice start! Going  to watch this unfold:)

9 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

Lovely cockpit! That IP looks great. Same can be said for the pilot. He's well painted. 

9 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I'm still working up the courage to do mine, so watching the interest.

Trevor

8 hours ago, Calum said:

Nice start there and a challenging scheme you've chosen.  I've built this kit and I can echo the others who say you need to dry fit every piece - twice. But it can be built into a good model

Thank you guys.

As you can see, the fuselage is doing its best to look like a bunch of Fyffes bananas!
So, starting from the rear, I've glued it in stages, and "teased" it all together.  
Cockpit tub needed a fair bit of sanding, in order to get a reasonable fit, but it's in there!
Now it's all held in place with lots of Tamiya tape and clamps.......and I have stood well back!!

33404296990_233904aee9.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33659348591_b784380b0d.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32975827033_ac88e2954d.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33632446102_944cf343b2.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33632446422_a014eedf78.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 2

Fuselage has held together, and most gaps filled.
This kit is clearly meant to be build with all panels, gun bays, undercarriage bays, engine bays, and airbrakes open. None of these panels fit properly, and not by a small amount, I mean a massive amount. The last photo shows some of this...notice the gap in front wheel bay doors, and the airbrakes at the rear.
The wings are assembled and fitted to the fuselage. Again, they are designed to have all flaps and leading edge control surfaces extended. You cannot make the wings with surfaces positioned for level flight, without a lot of cutting, and removing of locating points. The separate leading edge is too thick, so has had the upper surface sanded back to lessen the "step". You can see a before and after from photos 2 & 3.
Tail fin is 4 pieces. Why? A single piece, or 2 pieces, would've have been sufficient. 
The pilot is now sat in his office, and the canopy is fitted (without issue too!)
Progress is being made, and that's a good thing. :)

33644234902_b3bbccbd38.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33644233602_7b44ebd0d7.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33644235072_f572643153.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33644238352_fcf70bbe84.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33644236472_798b6c5af4.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 3

Hello Wee,

Nice job on this one !

And pretty good music to go with her !

Mine is still on the attic, interesting when I'll start her.

Congrats.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Wee,

Nice job on this one !

And pretty good music to go with her !

Mine is still on the attic, interesting when I'll start her.

Congrats.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you corsaircorp.  The music helps t relieve the pain of dealing with rubbish kits!! :wtf: :lol: 

9 hours ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

Useful information thanks, I'll build mine with everything hanging out then.

Nice pilot, like the contraposto.

Thank you Don.  I think that's how Kittyhawk want you to build it...trust me to be different :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, buccymad said:

iv'e got the twinstick,sitting on the shelf,quietly mocking me!!

might have to resurect it after seeing your build:yes:

I know the kit has its quirks, but I think the secret has been taking my time, with lots of dry fitting. I knew the kit I was going to be bad, so was prepared from the start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wee Beastie said:

I know the kit has its quirks, but I think the secret has been taking my time, with lots of dry fitting. I knew the kit I was going to be bad, so was prepared from the start.

Are you saying that through gritted teeth?

:rage:

Trevor

• Like 2