1/48 Kittyhawk SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1

Now we're getting somewhere!
However......the KH kit has the wrong pylons for the RAF versions. Only the French ones provided!! So a bit trimming, and sanding, and they are now more representative of the RAF pylons.
Another issue, I've discovered, is that there's no provision for the upper wing-fences, should you decide not to attach the over-wing sidewinders and pylons. With a little bit of scratch building, using some sprue tab/labels, I now have wing-fences.
ANOTHER issue!....KH only provides the fuselage drop-tank, and not the wing drop-tanks too. Managed to source a pair (from the Revell GR.1 kit I think).
Last couple of photos show everything dry fitted.
Now we REALLY are getting somewhere! :)

33851931195_a4508325f7.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33038477223_b614bcf3d9.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33008577034_149474898b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33038478473_a463cdf7e3.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33008577934_3e1940845e.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 5

11 hours ago, buccymad said:

are there not some etched wing fences supplied?:hmmm:

starting to look the part now :coolio: ,can't understand why they didnt give you two gasbags as this was way more common than the single tank?:confused:

2 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

The PE wing fences are only included in the French boxing. In this one, the expect you to use the overwing pylons :/

Nope, no wing fences, or underwing tanks, or ECM pod, or RAF pylons (they're slightly different to the French versions), or GR.3 instrument panel (apparently it's different to the GR.1's).

So, all in all, a bit of a muck-up! :(

Edited by Wee Beastie

I think there are PE wing fences in the T-bird version. The kit is wrong not to include them as the 54 Sqn option pre-dates overwing pylons.

Yep all in all Kittyhawk mucked up many a part of this kit. The 1200 litre drop tanks were the same type fitted to the inboards or centreline, KH just totally got the shape wrong.

Most of the weapons included are French & never used by the RAF.

GR3 instrument panels varied by aircraft role. The recce jets still had the round moving map display from the GR1a. The bombers had the MMD replaced with a square MPD TV screen for viewing TIALD pod video.

Commonality only appeared when the jets got to GR3a standard and they were all fitted with the rectangular AMLCD display.

Rob.

• Like 2

That's the camo on.  Used Ammo Mig paints, from their Modern RAF camouflage set.
However, the green looks too light, so I'm not convinced they've got that colour right. 
I shall either add some black to the Ammo green, or I'll look and see else what I've go that's a better match.

33759446651_e907d3872c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33759446491_af743188f6.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 2

I wasn't happy with the Ammo green, it's a bit lighter than I thought.
So I've resprayed it with Vallejo Model Air 71.019 Dark Green, which seems closer to the RAF green.
I have also started the winter camo, on parts that aren't going to have decals on them.

33913008135_e2ab50f858.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33872213916_c7b5013eeb.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33785858301_9e3b754f51.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Well that's the winter camouflage applied.  I think it's turned out okay, certainly has that "hand-painted" look of the real thing.
I'll let that dry completely, then apply some Alclad Aqua Gloss, then get cracking with the washes and weathering. :)

33999672665_063b61d58e.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33186777793_94b0cc17aa.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33869969741_62377729b0.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33156347144_0e7885fdcf.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

A REMINDER:-

33382585425_ac1b444797.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

On 13/04/2017 at 10:32 PM, Hewy said:

That is a very good depiction ian, i agree the green did look too light,, good work on the winter camo though 

Glynn

Thank you Glynn.

Edited by Wee Beastie

That's it, I'm done!
Not then best of builds, just needed some TLC, and lots of dry fitting.
If I were to do this scheme again, I'd use a wider brush for the winter camo, the brush I used was the widest I had, and the result is what it is, but I think it's turned out okay.

RFI photo's here 

33904777091_79e433721d.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 4

Very Nice. The Jag is not an easy build (based on my experience) and you overcame the faults with your skill. Smash 'em up job on the paint scheme Beastie! How much time did you spend hand painting the white?

• Like 1

On 16 April 2017 at 0:26 PM, Blue_Centurion said:

Very Nice. The Jag is not an easy build (based on my experience) and you overcame the faults with your skill. Smash 'em up job on the paint scheme Beastie! How much time did you spend hand painting the white?

Thank you.  I spend about 2 hours, I think, didn't really time tbh. I thought it would take longer, but as it was just painted randomly, I painted where I wanted..... :)

Edited by Wee Beastie