**Finished**Airfix Lightning Pair

Well seems I fudged up, I don't have the full decal sheet for the F2A and I'm missing one of the fin flash for the 92Sqn from the partial sheet so that options off the table. still gives me the 19sqn option to redo or to do 1 of 4 from the xtradecal sheet. Or perhaps Ill do the 92sqn anyway and hope the wanted section will do its job. Also seems the boxes are still turning up with the orignal incorrect artwork on them.....would think most would have been sold by now

edit: just realised I have decal paper, going to try to print it 

1726F43B-10D3-48E8-99E8-752A1343E96F_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Always room for another Lightning in the GB. You going to post a photo of the potential options? :heart:

Image result for airfix lightning f2a

E0488B4D-1318-484E-82C5-E7388093E533_zps

6 options to choose from......tricky....also started it using what I learned the hard way and sanding the sink marks off the fuselage insides 

D09BEC64-B9B7-4B9F-9F59-62CA47CCFE07_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Oh no, just got back from priming it and noticed which bits are spare, and it seems I've assembled it as a f2a with the f6 central pack, a combo which despite one of the xtradecal options appearing as such didn't exist. Will have do some surgery in the morning. Silly me

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh no, just got back from priming it and noticed which bits are spare, and it seems I've assembled it as a f2a with the f6 central pack, a combo which despite one of the xtradecal options appearing as such didn't exist. Will have do some surgery in the morning. Silly me

Oops. At least it's correctable and only plastic. You can always buy another and What-if this one if that's easier ;) 

On the other hand, you now know how to make a home made wash. Clean the excess off with a piece of cloth damp with thinner, and you're ready to rock and roll. 

Do make sure there is a well cured layer of Klear between the wash and any enamel paints you may have used to paint your camo. 

Edited by SoftScience

16 hours ago, Rob G said:

Noice. That rotary tool bit looks fairly serious.

nah thats just an old screwdriver thats past its best for screwdrving.....

anyway even more progress funny how much one can do even with limited time if ones sticks to just one subject at a time. Very real chance it will be ready for decals tonight....

EDA92262-274A-4DD4-A058-2E4B56BC6597_zps

Well just went to cut up the decals ready for application tonight, andtnoticed not only is the stencil guid for the F2A missing, looking online the stenicls are slightly different for the F2A than for the F6. So I've ordered an F2A, which of course I have no excuse to not build next. 

Well I'm a little cheesed off, ordered the F2A via amazon rather than the much cheaper JADLAM price, as I have free next day delivery with amazon, and would mean I could of started decalling last night, of course for only the 2nd time ever, amazon let me down and sent the parcel to the wrong place so I didn't get it till today, good chance Jadlam would have go it to me today as well. Still I shall send a moan to amazons customer services depart, see if i can worm a few quid gift card credit as is the norm in such cases. Now whether I shall start tonight is another matter, big game my team (Chelsea) tonight so the beer may take the option. Also now to decide what scheme I shall do the F6 in, I actually want most to do a grey one and replace the ropey one I have on display, but grey is not a 1970's scheme I shall have too look elsewhere. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Not been able to do my new routine of late evening decalling but managed to get some on after dinner last night, which included carefully cutting the stencil off the 19sqn roundel as xtradecal missed it on their sheet and its present in photos of the real thing.

5607601A-AE54-496D-BD96-9A8CA5B59598_zps

• Like 1

Well finally finished the first lightning, here it is next to the fisrt green one I did in 2015, which will be retired (though I'm not ruling out redoing it soon) 

35C7AE51-E444-4099-8EE2-32307942576A_zps

As for the silver one, had some problems, had to a bit of sanding and respraying which has lost some of the panel detail in places, hoping the next coat will be the last one, then Ill be able to sort the pit out, put the canopy on ready for decalling. 

• Like 1