B-17 odd markings

JohnT

Having caught flu I felt entitled to the afternoon off and am plonked on the couch watching an episode of Al Murray's War Walk Road to Berlin programme.  It's about the bombing of Essen.  Anyway one of the stock shots is a colour overhead of 3 B-17s.  The one nearest the camera has some markings I have not seen before.  I can't say what the fuselage sides are like but the plan view is interesting.

The aircraft is mostly in natural metal finish

First the starboard wing has a large letter K in a red or black triangle with possibly yellow surround to it. I think it's black but the colour film is affected by sunshine as you can see in places on the .real airframe.

The two furthest away fortresses appear to have the usual green anti glare panel before the cockpit glazing but the one nearest looks almost pink.

Possible sun effects on the triangle and panel?

The port wing outer panel where the national us insignia is located is in scruffy  and worn through to the metal green camouflage paint but the wing tip panel is still unpainted.  

The wing panels roughly above where the flaps would be are also in a dark colour different to the green panel.  Sort of chocolate brown.  

The upper starboard horizontal stabiliser is painted red but not the port side which is in nm. 

Looks like a Cheyenne tail turret but not 100% certain.  Again not certain but think the waist windows are not staggered.

Interesting and shows what I am guessing would be patching up in the field?

John

Triangle K was the 379th B.G., with a black triangle outlined in yellow.

B-17_Flying_Fortress_43-38237_379th_BG.j

The video is available here to see online. Looks like the B-17 in question has made use of a few 'spare parts' salvaged from other B-17s, to say the least! I think the anti-dazzle panel is just faded O.D.

Simon

• Like 2