West Malling Show 1983.

Paul J

Some more West Malling GWAD pics of September 18th 1983.

20161230224621_01_zps4mqzkkt6.jpg

20161230224248_09_zpsud0hbfwe.jpg

Beech C-45 G-BKGL

20161230224248_11_zpsuwgaxykh.jpg

Spitfire XIV G-MXIV/NH749

20161230224248_08_zpsuiyw0szc.jpg

Bu 131.

20161230224248_02_zpsoi9cuosp.jpg

Note how low to the ground its belly is!!! reg: N500LN

20161230224248_03_zps4ssrcpks.jpg

20161230224025_10_zpstgurnhij.jpg

CASA 352 N9012P

20161230224025_09_zpsag0gcaeg.jpg

20161230224025_08_zpsa6e9pytc.jpg

20161230224025_07_zpssoolchdw.jpg

MH- Broussard

20161230224025_06_zps6pvb7xzp.jpg

Pilatus P-2

20161230224025_01_zpsetndjbwz.jpg

B-17 "Sally B" wearing TV film markings for We'll meet Again".

20161230223632_11_zpsyvyivdey.jpg

20161230224025_02_zpslojqahob.jpg

20161230223632_12_zpsfx93600q.jpg

Note that all the main aircraft wearing a yellow Teddy bear sticker in tribute to  the loss of A warbird pilot. Very sorry but the name escapes me.

• Like 5

The pilot was Ted White, who was instrumental in establishing the Great Warbird shows at West Malling. 

He owned the B-17 and was tragically killed in a Harvard in Malta in 1982. As Sally B is also in her "We'll Meet Again" scheme, which was also filmed in 1982, that'd be my guess as to the year. 

Notice the yellow and black chequered cowl on the B-17's number three engine - this was in tribute to Ted White as it was the same as the Harvard cowling in which he died. Sally B carries it to this day, as Elly Sallingboe who now operates the Fortress was Ted's partner and keeps the cowl as a tribute to him. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. I had a feeling about the name but didn't want to get it wrong. Have found my records and the year was 1983.  So my main post has been updated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I was at that show!!!  

Didn't they have ply mock ups of B17s on the far side of the airfield that had been set up for the filming?  I think most of my pictures were B&W...

I think I was too.  I certainly remember being allowed into the cockpit of the '352.  Living in Dover at the time GWAD was one of our local shows and one year we were treated to fly-bys by G-BJHS, the last airworthy Sunderland.  I really do miss that show, and hope that those who demanded the closure of West Malling as an airfield have really enjoyed having all the heavy lorries thundering past their doors servicing the industrial estate that was built all over it.

• Like 3

Found some more pics of the 83 show and will sort them out to add here later in week. And some from August 1985 with formation of two B-17!!

Hi Paul!

Thanks ever so much for posting these up. This is my favourite show and your photos will be really helpful for the modelling project I have on the go at the moment...namely all the aircraft that were there that day. Hope you don't mind me having a "right click and save" frenzy with your photos...they're perfect!

Seems as though you were there the same day as me...chucked it down with rain most of the morning if I remember rightly. Also remember those mock up B-17s on the far side of the airfield. I think they managed to fool my mate and I for a few minutes at least! Seem to recall the stars from We'll Meet Again being paraded up and down the crowdline in the military vehicles in the pouring rain.

Despite the weather, the display was pretty good, with Stefan Karwowski's Bearcat display being pretty darn blistering, and Barry Tempest's "crazy flying" routine in Tiger Moth G-AYDI was a lot of fun and it must have been the first time I saw Sally B fly, so a pretty special day. I also liked G-FIRE with the flashing lights in the gun barrels...probably why Spitfire XIV low backs are my favourite warbird now!

I re-watched the video last night and had to chuckle when it showed a load of cars turning up at the gate, and I thought, "I don't remember a classic car display being there that day?" Then it hit me those were the cars we were driving back then...made me feel a bit old!

Anyhoo....I'm rambling and getting all nostalgic! Thanks again for posting these and look forward to the possible few more 83 photos!

Best regards;

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve. been busy building scale stuff of late but will resume my slide selection

On 4/12/2017 at 16:13, fightersweep said:

Hi Paul!

Bumpity Bump....

Did you manage to find any more 83 West Malling photos?

Sorry to be a nag!

Best regards;

Steve

postings again soon. Have so many to share.

Hi Paul;

Appreciate that! Thanks for remembering. 

I'm just about to ramp into my 83 West Malling build as I've been rounding up the necessary kits. Got Piston Provost G-AWPH built and I think the only kits I can't source are a Fiat G.46 and Max Holste Broussard (both of which I know are out there but hen's teeth to find) and a Howard 500 (which I know hasn't existed in kit form) Not sure what to start on next, but I'm considering Piper Navajo G-NMAN which I know didn't display, but was there as Gary was the sponsor. 

Just another quick thanks for the first batch of photos...they've been really helpful so far for the little details. I did have a camera myself that day, but it was a crappy little 110 (all I could afford...I was only 13) and only one snap has survived!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep