On 02/07/2017 at 6:33 AM, Nigel Heath said:

That was nice but the highlight of this week's meals was a sirloin steak with buttermilk crispy fried onions:

:o

:eat:

Buttermilk crispy fried onions .........

:Tasty:

This concept should not have been missing from my life for so long. 

The Sycamore looks marvellous Nigel. If you write to the manufacturer; I think that they might send you another decal sheet for free to compensate. Most manufacturers are ok like that.

The satin finish looks very good indeed.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Excellent work and you're approaching the end of the home strech.  Great save on the rotorhead.  

Lou in Utah

• Like 1

If you write to the manufacturer; I think that they might send you another decal sheet for free to compensate. Most manufacturers are ok like that.

Good idea Tony, your prompting got me to get in touch with S & M Models. They were very accomdating and said that if I just returned the remaining decals they would be happy to send me a replacment. I got that plus a covering letter in the post today.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2017 at 3:52 AM, Martian Hale said:

Quite possibly your best chopper yet, it certainly has the most visual impact.

Martian

Martian,

I agree, with one caveat- Best chopper yet- without a fire extinguisher... 😀

Lou in Utah

• Like 4

No fire extinguisher?  Say it ain't so.

I do like the Nigel tease, here is almost everything, just a couple bits more, see you next week.

Lou, another Salt Laker on Brit, small world.

• Like 3

Beautiful Nigel!  Will this be making an appearance in the Aberdeen September show?  Bring on the weekend for the final taster.

Good point about the fire extinguisher by Louiex & Philp.   I take it back... RE-BUILD IT!  :P

• Like 3

Great work there Nige. If I may, I think your airbrush needs a tweak, lots of spatter on the preshading pics, and lots of grain in your colour coats. I think your problem might be that you are not thinning your paint sufficiently. 70% thinners, 30% paint and you must filter it too. Lots of thin coats rathe rthan one heavy coat. Re the preshading, I also think you need to use dark-ish gray rather than black even on cars the sghut lines are rearly solid black.

JMTPW.

Colin

• Like 1

Will this be making an appearance in the Aberdeen September show?

I hope so, see you there. I would have included a fire extinguisher but none of my reference photos show one. Maybe helicopters were less flamable back then.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I  would have included a fire extinguisher but none of my reference photos show one. Maybe helicopters were less flamable back then.

Or, perhaps they caught on fire and burned so quickly, a fire extinguisher was pretty much useless. 🤔  

Lou in Utah

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I hope so, see you there. I would have included a fire extinguisher but none of my reference photos show one. Maybe helicopters were less flamable back then.

The old Choppers had a large % of Magnesium Alloy for lightness. down side was they using stuff you find in Fireworks.

Aircraft Wheels were Mag Alloys too. We had flight safety films on the helicopter phase in training showing burnt out Whirlwinds, Sycamores etc. and the stories how it happened and how fast you should run ! F1 cars had Mag Alloys and that spread to the sports car makers, reducing  unsuspended weight. Got even lighter after a visit from the nearest dog, it eats Magnesium.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 4

Only just caught up with this Nigel, looking fantastic. Now how do you keep the yeast and the salt seperate in the pizza dough mix?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, abat said:

Now how do you keep the yeast and the salt seperate in the pizza dough mix?

By this I mean they are kept apart until the mixing starts. Yeast does not like salt and its presence does inhibit the yeast's growth but it is of course necessary for flavour.

• Like 1

Fire extinguisher = weight.

If it catches fire on start up, the chappie

standing outside will have one.

If it catches fire in the air, get it down,

get out, If possible, retire to the nearest pub.

If it catches fire after the crash, if possible,

retire to the nearest pub. Await transport.

• Like 8

On opening my post box this morning I found that S & M Models had sent me not one but two replacement decal sheets:

P1150002_zpstgu5jkdy.jpg

Excellent customer service there I think.

The first thing I tackled today was finishing off the brake lines and wires to the navigation lights that I had started on last weekend:

P1150003_zpszvbqlx6u.jpg

P1150004_zpsylfmns4v.jpg

Next I used the new decals to finish off the serial number:

P1150005_zpsfzpfh53v.jpg

Then I glued on the wipers with some thinned Gator Grip:

P1150006_zpsbwoueawn.jpg

I know they are a bit asymmetric but so are the real things (to my eyes anyway):

sycamore6.jpg

Then it was the turn of the side doors again using more Gator Grip:

P1150007_zps4vfhvigm.jpg

I have given the navigation lights four coats of clear and by now they were dry so I knifed off the first of them:

P1150008_zpscmhoubga.jpg

Here they are installed with yet more Gator Grip:

P1150009_zpshaxdwv5n.jpg

P1150011_zpscfkclbqw.jpg

I tried to glue the pitot tube on with Gator Grip but ended up using superglue:

P1150010_zpseuctozu8.jpg

Then on went the tail rotor:

P1150012_zpsrcrxrekk.jpg

The final thing to add was an aerial under the tail boom using a length of 0.2mm nickel silver rod:

P1150014_zpshtpmrdvq.jpg

Apart from a few paint and varnish touch ups here and there I think I can call this little bird finished:

P1150013_zps8rjeutj0.jpg

I'll try to get the RFI done tomorrow as the sun will be in the right place in the morning.

The highlight of this weeks dinners was slow cooked Hung Shao pork belly with stir-fried greens from Delia Smith's Winter Collection:

P1140999_zpsjybyowbi.jpg

Delish.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

The highlight of this weeks dinners was slow cooked Hung Shao pork belly with stir-fried green from Delia Smith's Winter Collection:

P1140999_zpsjybyowbi.jpg

Delish.

My wife is very fond of Delia's recipes, but that one I don't think has graced our dining table - so a definite recommend for that one!

The Sycamore looks good, too ;- )

Incidentally, do you know how Delia Smith and the Rolling Stones are connected?

• Like 2

@Whofan

She did the cover cake on Let it Bleed !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

@Whofan

She did the cover cake on Let it Bleed !

Spot on! It's one of those odd little occurrences that you find out about and have to smile at, I think.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing this Nigel. As usual I'm amazed by the micro-engineering and I've learned a lot, again. :D 

• Like 1