I have got a bit more done before finishing for the day. The connection between the main rotor hub and its drive shaft is very weak so I decided it would be prudent to reinforce it with a collar made from snugly fitting plastic tube:

P1140688_zps9za3ehgd.jpg

With similar thoughts on structural integrity I also cut of the plastic mounting pin for the fin and replaced it with 0.4mm rod:

P1140689_zpsdzixzauj.jpg

The final job of the day was to make a new leg for the nose gear using 0.8mm rod and 1mm tube:

P1140690_zpserxnpqst.jpg

I now have a whole heap of parts ready for some paint so will be breaking out the airbrush next weekend.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Wow, you certainly have gone to town on the details with this Nigel;  but I wouldn't expect anything less :D  Hope your'e having fun with the kit?  I certainly am.

Can't wait to see all those details under some primer and paint.  Looking forward to the next installment

cheers

• Like 1

In readiness for some painting I masked up the joint between the bulkhead and cockpit floor. I have also added a small piece of PE to the facia but here it's way out of focus:

P1140697_zpscib0schw.jpg

Most of the joint lines on the fuselage were similarly masked with 1mm tape:

P1140698_zpsxeei81oj.jpg

The first painting job was to apply some clear metal primer to the metally bits:

P1140699_zpsrcagj9lp.jpg

Next I broke out the airbrush and applied some Tamiya clear orange to the roof lights. Here is under its own bespoke dust deflection system:

P1140701_zpsotlrsow8.jpg

Then, without using any primer, I applied matt black to the other cockpit parts as well as the wipers:

P1140700_zps3roj92mj.jpg

My thinking of not using primer was that on the clear parts it should leave a slight black outline around the windows to simulate the rubber weather seals.

I was then going to apply some grey primer to the remaining parts but my airbrush started playing up. I tried cleaning the nozzle umpteen times but was still getting bubbles in the paint cup. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm going to soak the nozzle overnight in cellulose thinner to see if that helps. Looking closely at my brush I realised that it must have been knocked heavily during transportation from Aberdeen. The stand off on the nozzle had a big ding right on the tip (which I filed away the worst of) and then I spotted the the button on the trigger was at a slight angle. This is what happened when I tried to straighten it:

P1140702_zpswqffs6vf.jpg

So the first modelling in the morning is to try to mend the trigger. I'm not sure my soldering iron will be powerful enough to solder it so there may be a problem there.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

If you are really pushed I have an old Badger brush you can have, it was left to me by a friend who said to pass it on to a modeller in need and this would be a deserving case as far as I can see.

Martian

• Like 3

Thanks Martin, very kind of you. I have an old Badger brush myself - but I'm sure I can fix this one. It really needs a small blow torch and possibly some silver solder. I'll see if my local Maplins can supply such items in the morning.

• Like 2

I've just caught up on four pages Nigel.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience; what a great build :).

I feel sure I'll never get to grips with soldering, but your step by steps are a fantastic guide. One day I'll give it a try.

The replacement parts you've made look *so* much better. I also like your use of rod in making stronger joins for fins etc.

That's really useful advice and technique for the sort of short run kits I often (try) to make.

I hope you can get the airbrush back shipshape; fingers crossed :thumbsup2: 

Best regsrds

TonyT

• Like 2

With your soldering abilities Nigel I'm sure you will have that one back in the saddle very swiftly

The other work you've done

fairly standard ... brilliant ... Nigelllery

Loving this, you are making MY next year or two into very interesting 'days to come'

• Like 1

I gave your post a like Nigel, but it wasn't for your broken airbrush! Good luck with mending it....

Thanks Keith, I know ending a post with bad news tends to stop people liking the whole post but its much appreciated that you liked the earlier work.

• Like 2

Commiserations on the airbrush - but a stunning Sycamore.  Those reference shots in the cockpit are amazing; I am struggling to work out which lever is for which purpose [and thank the gods that I only flew helos of a much later design - especially in the engine department!]

• Like 1

In the end I didn't go to Maplins as I had the idea of using some of my low melting point solder plus my 25W iron to mend the trigger. After a few iterations I arrived at a satisfactory result:

P1140704_zps4m5guevh.jpg

However when I tried to reassemble my airbrush I realised this part should have been included so it was back out with the iron and I redid it:

P1140705_zpsir45zt26.jpg

It seems nice and strong so no need for a new trigger. I still had the bubbling problem though, I repeatedly cleaned out the nozzle and I could not see anything thing in there but the problem persisted. Fortunately I had a spare 0.4mm nozzle so I fitted that and all was then fine.

I did not however use my airbrush instead I decided to work on other areas. In preparation for some detail painting in the cockpit I applied a coat of Alclad white primer to the relevant areas:

P1140706_zpsugxrmiv3.jpg

While that was drying I started to mask up the bulkhead headrests using U shaped pieces of tape made using a 3mm punch:

P1140707_zps13ocexkr.jpg

I was not the easiest of masking jobs but eventually got it finished:

P1140708_zpstdvupi4k.jpg

It would have been much better if the headrests had been separate mouldings but there you go.

I then finished off the detail painting in the cockpit:

P1140709_zpsxldzqnyv.jpg

These are the paints I used including a venerable tin of ancient Airfix green for the control grips:

P1140710_zpscoaxfsuk.jpg

The cabin sides look much better under a coat of paint:

P1140712_zps2xwjbkzw.jpg

I need to order some more matt black as I've virtually run out. I think I will be getting some more airbrushing done tomorrow.

Bye for now

Nigel

• Like 11

I've been trying to think of something more intelligent to say, but just love the detail and finishing work on this kit, especially good to see the Sycamore realised this way.

In general, how do you find the kit to build?

• Like 1

Top maskery and pigmentification Nigel.:thumbsup2:

à propos of nothing, I was wondering how this aircraft came by the name 'Sycamore'? Something to do with the way the seeds of this particular tree fall?

Tony

• Like 1

Good job on v2 airbrush fixing - just the sort of thing I'd do; happy with that and then find the extra part... :D

Nice internals Nigel, especially at that size!

That fixed part looks as though it has some paint build up on it. Could the 'O' ring be going? Something I've heard about but have zero experience of... one of life's worries.

What black are you using? It looks really smooth.

• Like 1

In general, how do you find the kit to build?

It's good. There are no location pins but the instructions are straightforward and the surface detailing is very good.

I was wondering how this aircraft came by the name 'Sycamore'? Something to do with the way the seeds of this particular tree fall?

Yup, that's it.

What black are you using? It looks really smooth.

It's a mix of Mr Color lacquer and Aqueous Hobby Color (both of which I treat the same, thinned with cellulose thinners). I am slightly embarrassed about all the paint build up on the trigger but it has no effect on performance - of course it looks much worse in those macro shots. Funny you mention O rings as the one on the nozzle disintegrated today but again I don't think it's strictly necessary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Top maskery and pigmentification Nigel.:thumbsup2:

à propos of nothing, I was wondering how this aircraft came by the name 'Sycamore'? Something to do with the way the seeds of this particular tree fall?

Tony

Have a look at one side on, the fuselage and tail look just like a Sycamore seed.

• Like 3