Your fluent use of metals has me completely converted now to the notion of replacing plastic kit struts and the like with brass tubing Nigel - generally such structures looks so much 'sharper' at this scale than plastic in my (biased and blasé) opinion. :D

The 'double-cut' technique for those windows masks has been filed away at this end for future use: I've a vacform Airways Dragonfly it might prove a lifesaver on. :thumbsup2:

Lovin' ya work!

Tony

• Like 2

Your fluent use of metals has me completely converted now to the notion of replacing plastic kit struts and the like with brass tubing Nigel - generally such structures looks so much 'sharper' at this scale than plastic in my (biased and blasé) opinion.

Thanks Tony, glad to be of some help. Plastic really isn't the best material for thin struts and what not. I find it's generally easier to replace such items than to even try to clean up the mould seams (which usually ends up as an oval rather than circular cross section) plus with metal there is the advantage of zero chance of the darn thing snapping. I have pretty much the entire range of tubes, rods, angles and channels that Albion Alloys and Eileen's Emporium can provide in brass, aluminium and nickel silver. All come in very handy.

• Like 5

Great stuff Nigel and more material for the student of the Master notes :)

Two weeks... I can wait two weeks... I can.

I hope the drive's not too boring.

• Like 1

I hope the drive's not too boring.

Well it takes about ten hours so I will have to relieve the tedium by thinking of modelling problems to be resolved. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After nearly twenty hours of driving last weekend I think I now have all the tools and materials to complete this build. This morning I have been working on the passenger seats, this excellent photo pasted on page two by NAVY870 as one of my main references:

_4012848_zpsqey1v9qg.jpg

Its quite funny that some one has chucked the tail skid in there.

Now I have all my drills I got to work on assembling the lower seat frames:

P1140605_zpsl0auxs3g.jpg

P1140606_zpsbw7spabt.jpg

I also now have my lead foil with a cunning plan to use this to reproduce the canvas part of the seats. I first cut out a blank:

P1140607_zpsjqxwt0rt.jpg

Next I cut off a length of 0.6mm tube for the top part of the seat frame and using my bending jig wrapped the top part of the seat around some 0.6mm rod:

P1140608_zpsephwgsq9.jpg

With the tube glued in at the top I then wrapped the bottom edge round the rod:

P1140609_zpsqyvrxfvf.jpg

Then I partially unfolded the seam and gave the seat its correct profile:

P1140610_zps2bwbkiyt.jpg

I finally did a check to make sure it looked right in place:

P1140611_zpsir41m0ex.jpg

I'm rather pleased with that, now I just have to make the other two using the first as a master. I think this is the first part that's ready for some paint but I won't mount it up for that until I've made the others.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 14

Here is the second seat, temporarily installed:

P1140612_zpsaayc4qd9.jpg

Here are all three done and mounted up ready for painting:

P1140613_zpszrbqja0h.jpg

Next I did some work on the cockpit controls. I drilled out the bases for the cyclic controls and then made replacements for the kit parts using 0.5mm brass rod and used some 0.7mm tube for the grip with some strategically placed superglue:

P1140614_zpsc9ihpx0p.jpg

I did try drilling out one of the kit grips with a 0.4mm drill but that ended in failure. I had temporarily lost the remaining intact grip when I took the above photo but it turned up later so here is it as a comparison:

P1140618_zpsv4gttfp0.jpg

Next I made what I assume to be the collective using 0.4mm rod and 0.5mm for the grip part:

P1140615_zpslxd3qxlr.jpg

I made the joint quite chunky as I had to sand the end of the handle square and I wanted it to be strong enough to survive:

P1140616_zpsgfvdtbta.jpg

Here its installed along with the other controls:

P1140617_zpsq0somvlb.jpg

I had to sand a little bit of the side of the seat to get it to clear that hand brake like control so I will have to make sure that when it comes to fitting them I remember which one goes where.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 17

On 2017-04-23 at 4:46 PM, Nigel Heath said:

The first job of the day was to clean up the Milliput on the seat squabs. After sanding it flat I mounted it on a blob of Blu Tack and reinstated the seam details using a straight edge and this riffler tool:

P1140510_zpsnuddhdpw.jpg

It was hard to see how good the result was and may need some further work after priming.

Then I cleaned up the filler and uprights on the cabin bulkhead:

P1140511_zpswn5pg7wn.jpg

Next I cut off the cyclic control off its base and cleaned that up while still attached to the sprue:

P1140512_zpsnvw3044b.jpg

They were then glued to the cockpit floor along with the centre console facia:

P1140513_zpstpbwabe0.jpg

I don't have all my tools so will be jumping around a bit, tackling what things I can. The next thing I decided to do was to start on the pilot steps, I selected some thick brass sheet (I don't have my micrometer but it looks to be about 0.4mm thick so quite a bit thicker than normal PE fret). That was marked up ready to make the tread part of the steps:

P1140514_zpsqqhocnpx.jpg

That was then shaped with files into the required elliptical shape:

P1140515_zps1wltyfhu.jpg

Here is the finished item compared to the kit equivalent:

P1140516_zpslrqyvtff.jpg

P1140517_zpsvyd1tmfj.jpg

P1140518_zpshxkk20pg.jpg

P1140519_zpsuepi0ks7.jpg

P1140520_zpsqekymxox.jpg

P1140521_zpsvvoc8gcn.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

Hi Nigel!

For some reason I can't see your pictures - only their names. :(

Do you have any advice? Which site do you use to publish them?

Moggy

• Like 2

Shame about that as Nigels pictures are terrific, I think his is doing a grand job.  One thing that has been brought home to me is what he is having to work with........the kit reminds me of very early limited edition runs, such as pegasus used to make.  The parts basically are templates and research, not impressed with the standard of kit at all...........however, Nigel is really going to town with this kit, most impressed

• Like 1

Do you have any advice? Which site do you use to publish them?

I save my pictures on Photobucket. I have no idea what the problem is with you seeing them. I have made the album for this build public - maybe that will help. The photos start here.

I haven't "chucked" the tail skid inside 592, I placed in gently for safe keeping.

Well thats my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Unfortunately its one of those bits (like pitot tubes or Meteors and Wirraways) that had to come 

off before it got clobbered by those that dont look where they are going.

I'll refit it one day.

• Like 6

More terrific work Nigel, your metalwork is as impressive as ever! I have a stalled OH-6 build as all my attemts at making canvas seats for the rear of the cabin from plastic rod & card failed miserably. I have a plentiful supply of lead foil but had never thought to use that - your method has given me hope that I might now be able to finish the thing!

Great stuff !!

Keith

• Like 1

nice work Nigel. The seats are looking very comfy - well, as far as helichopter seats go.

I do think that brass rod and tube gives a much sharper and more realistic profile for these parts than plastic does.

• Like 1

I haven't "chucked" the tail skid inside 592, I placed in gently for safe keeping.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Not sure I am buying it but I will take your word for this. Still made me laugh though.

• Like 2

Your "cunning plan" for the seats is amazing.  I shall be placing that method in the files for future reference.  It appears the 12 hour supply run was well worth it.   Keep you the great work.

• Like 1

Today I have been mainly working on finishing my Me P1011 night fighter but I have got a little done on this build. Now I had the right razor saw it was easy to remove one of the spare front doors:

P1140641_zpskodhefw2.jpg

The released door was then cleaned up, mainly using a very coarse sanding stick:

P1140642_zpszvenojpe.jpg

I marked the edge to sand to with indelible marker pen so I had something more visible to work to. I think I'll remove the other door before cutting out the unwanted door from the fuselage side. At least we now know open front doors are go!

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10