This is a recent purchase which I'm going to make a start on:

P1140422_zps0xxnriqm.jpg

This kit is short run in nature - no location features, no numbering of parts on the sprues etc. but the panel lines are finely engraved and the surface detail is very good. There are two grey sprues:

P1140423_zpsgz19oudq.jpg

The clear sprue is extensive and on first inspection looks pretty good although there are a few scratches which will need polishing out and possibly a coat of Klear. The decal sheet is reasonably well printed and very comprehensive, right down to all the stencils (nice):

P1140424_zpsc5wlptfa.jpg

There are two scheme options, nicely illustrated in colour. First Royal Navy SAR in overall yellow:

P1140425_zpstrppmkn1.jpg

Then a two tone Royal Australian Navy scheme:

P1140428_zpso3ynkhbc.jpg

Although the yellow is colourful, I think I prefer the RAN option.

Here are the rest of the instructions:

P1140429_zps8eip2deq.jpg

P1140430_zpsglh8cjks.jpg

Basic but perfectly adequate I'm sure.

Unfortunately I am working away from my main home and don't have the right tools (no airbrush, no plastic glue etc.) to get much further than removing a few parts from the runners and giving them a clean up. I can also get started on researching some reference pictures.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 26

I was contemplating picking one of these up at the Peterborough show a few weeks ago but settled for a pair of Provosts instead.  The yellow one's RAF, not Navy, and the squadron emblem looks like 202 Squadron's mallard (but I could be wrong) rather than 275's, unless 275 re numbered as, or was absorbed into, 202.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

Thanks Perdue.  According to Wikipaedia 275 Squadron was re numbered as 228 Squadron late n 1959.  As I entered this world very late that year I might find a 228 Squadron Shackleton to finish my second Airfix Shackleton as.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, its great to have such a fine crew of men on board.

Have been missing your presence of late so looking forward to the build.

Did you miss my Jasmine Horten build then?

Of course the SAR was RAF, silly me. :blush:

I am pleased to report there are a wealth of good walkarounds on this type out there. I was particularly pleased to find one on a RAN example:

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/BRISTOL_Sycamore_Walkaround_XD653_Nowra_2014/content/index.html

• Like 2

Poor little thing. You should throw it back and wait a while until it grows up!

I'll watch. Early herriclopters have a fascination that's logarithmically inverse to their actual utility.

• Like 5

Oh, my. I hadn't known about that one! I though that the only available Seventy-twoth Sycamore was the Czechmaster resin kit, or the not-quite-to-scale Glencoe monster I failed at building a few (cough) years back.

I think that I might need to get one, and put the BEA decals I have in the stash on it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

I was contemplating picking one of these up at the Peterborough show a few weeks ago but settled for a pair of Provosts instead.  The yellow one's RAF, not Navy, and the squadron emblem looks like 202 Squadron's mallard (but I could be wrong) rather than 275's, unless 275 re numbered as, or was absorbed into, 202.

The problem being that 202 never operated the Sycamore. S&M got the scheme from a well-photographed display airframe that was hauled around airshows in the late sixties, which prominently displayed the 202 emblem. I'd be curious to know why, if anyone here should know.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Jessica! Its great to have a lovely lady amongst my mainly (and frankly quite swarthy) male crew. Its a good looking kit which was newly tooled last year. I recommend your purchase.

Are you planning an out of the box build or are we going to see some of your extra detail work?

This will not be an OOB build, just the cursory scans of the walkarounds shows there are a few areas in need of extra detailing: some steps, a pitot tube and rudder pedals. There will probably be quite a few more bits and bobs...

my build of a Leuchars based one

I didn't know these flew out of Leuchars. Perhaps we could get Duncan B to build one as part of his ongoing build tributes to that base.

The problem being that 202 never operated the Sycamore. S&M got the scheme from a well-photographed display airframe that was hauled around airshows in the late sixties, which prominently displayed the 202 emblem. I'd be curious to know why, if anyone here should know.

Interesting, I would also like to know.

• Like 4

"This will not be an OOB build...There will probably be quite a few more bits and bobs..."

... and fire extinguishers- mustn't forget the fire extinguishers.

Looking forward to yet another how-to by one of the masters.

Lou

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing this kit built up, especially with some detailing add ons!

I'm hoping that a HR.12 will be released one day, so that I can portray an ASWDU Sycamore.

Just picking up on the earlier bit about 275 squadron, they did eventually become 202 Sqn, but four years after the Sycamore period and via 228 sqn numbering.  

202 with the duck were a Hastings operator at the time.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Nice choice Nigel, pity it's never been kitted in 48th scale...

Colin

I couldn't agree more!

Martian

• Like 1