Revell Type 143 Albatross Class Fast Attack Craft

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the canopy. It is far better than my previous attempt and I am very happy with the outcome. :thanks:

I am back to the fitting of the photo-etch railings again. It is a long and slow process  :hourglass:but it does pay dividends in the end. I think the pictures are relatively self-explanatory although they are repetition on the same theme.

34804205505_ab8356e2a6_k.jpg

34671713411_1d21f0c80a_k.jpg

34787586866_1100377610_k.jpg

34478104820_2a7ada41c6_k.jpg

34077123264_fccb08f22d_k.jpg

34182422413_40e088ce0c_k.jpg

The forward guard rails are collapsible and to achieve a more representative effect I decided to use thinner 32 AWG pencil wire with a black varnish finish. 

34349696793_575d7c2c6a_k.jpg

34349701233_f59e27300e_k.jpg

That’s it for now. Next up is glazing the superstructure before gluing it to the hull.

Thank you for looking. :thanks:

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Those railings certainly do make a big difference to the overall look of the ship very neat  :yes:

beefy

I would say they completely transform the model. I can't believe how well they have turned out.

This has progressed really well, and looks great. As mentioned before, the level of detail achievable at this scale is very impressive, and has been well applied on this one.

• Like 1

I'm liking the look of this being somewhat of a sucker for any sort of FAB. Looking at your detail shots above of the railings etc, that sea scape looks highly impressive, I swear I saw that foaming wake slipping along the hull. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, stevehnz said:

I'm liking the look of this being somewhat of a sucker for any sort of FAB. Looking at your detail shots above of the railings etc, that sea scape looks highly impressive, I swear I saw that foaming wake slipping along the hull. :)

Steve.

Thank you Steve, the effect in the wake is down to the transparent nature of the cling film which hadn't been plastered in paint or texture paste. It's occurrence is purely accidental and not by design. 

8 minutes ago, Paul E said:

Thank you Steve, the effect in the wake is down to the transparent nature of the cling film which hadn't been plastered in paint or texture paste. It's occurrence is purely accidental and not by design. 

It works for me Paul, not sure how it looks in the flesh as it were but the effect in the photo is excellent. You might just have stumbled over something new. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Rob 1 said:

This has progressed really well, and looks great. As mentioned before, the level of detail achievable at this scale is very impressive, and has been well applied on this one.

Thank you Rob,

This model kit already has a nice amount of detail, what it really lacked was a decent set of railings and I happy to say that looking at the end result the investment in designing and having the railings manufactured has really paid dividends.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:12 AM, Martian Hale said:

I don't find the rails repetitive. Its nice to see the model develop.

Martian

Thank you Martian,

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

It works for me Paul, not sure how it looks in the flesh as it were but the effect in the photo is excellent. You might just have stumbled over something new. :)

Steve.

Like many things much depends on the light conditions but you can see variations in the colour of the wake. It is a technique I have used before, the advantage of using cling film is that it protects the hull when forming the sea scape, but instead of cutting it all off afterwards I unfold it from the model and use it to form the bow wave, fixing the cling film in place with PVA glue.  

Now I have completed the railings it is onto the glazing  starting with part 30 and the windscreen on the flying bridge which I had previously modified.

34829322672_4b18bfcf73_k.jpg

This was fiddly job but the results I think are worth it.

I also had a look at the windscreen wipers on the front windows of the bridge. These are the circular type and the kit provides decals to represent these. However I felt that the model deserved something more.  So I dug out some thin walled brass tubing and cut off some thin rings and I used some of the 28 SWG wire that were off cuts from the railings:

34298877933_98b47026c0_k.jpg

I then painted them and glued the windscreen wipers into the bridge window openings. Once fixed in place I applied Humbrol Clear to fill in the gaps and make the glazing with the following result:

34998773832_cf7d8866d1_k.jpg

Now the glazing is done I can fit the superstructure to the hull.

I am now on the home straight woohoo! :yahoo:

Thank you for looking.

• Like 5

Excellent work! The rails and the glazing look spot on, really help in  set this ship apart.

Keep up the great work!

Geoff 

Edited by Bugle07
spelling...
  • Like 1

Like the idea for the wipers might just have to give that one a try along with all the other great tips I pick up during your builds Paul  :book:

beefy

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments they are very much appreciated.

I am now at the end of the build of my Type 143 Fast Attack Craft. I have attached the hull to its base and fitted the superstructure and the masts and the weapons. I have elected to apply the decals for S61 Albatross the lead ship of the class.

So down to adding those few final touches; the eagle eyed amongst you might have noticed that there is a gap in the railings on the main deck just aft of the superstructure. The reason for this is that there are scrambling nets fitted as can be seen in this photo:

Schnellboote_Albatros-Klasse.jpg

Unfortunately the kit does not provide for these so I have delved back into my box of bits and pieces and scratch built my own:

35432805415_77c0dcf863_k.jpg

35045801900_81880780de_k.jpg

35432792555_8af41fde9d_k.jpg

35045819490_6a92d1b89d_k.jpg

35432805145_18427b9d68_k.jpg

The frame is made from Evergreen or Plastruct rod and I have used PE for the netting  and hand  wheels which came from generic sets by Scale Link I had lying around from previous builds.

And that’s it, finished! Although I am toying with scratch building a portable gangway which is stored on the maindeck on the starboard side under the bridge.

Anyway here are a few pictures of the finished model with and without its display case. I will post more pictures in the Ready For Inspection part of the forum in due course.

35045830630_fa57175733_k.jpg

34632370643_5d068cc8dc_k.jpg

35402554136_73a0b59488_k.jpg

Finally if anybody wants the Photo-Etch stanchions at 1:144 scale to accompany this kit please let me know by PM.

Thank you for following this build and your kind comments of support.

I will be back soon with another build.

Paul.

• Like 6

Thank you very much for the comments and support. :thanks:

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, beefy66 said:

Another fine build Paul

Could you tell us what PE mesh you used for the netting  :book:

beefy

In answer to your question Beefy the PE mesh is 1mm fine and comes from scale link: http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Meshes___Mailles.html

I hope this helps.

• Like 1