F-86F Sabre in 1/32

Drift

Can't speak about accuracy but the Kitty Hawk kit looks great. Problem is tha KH only do the D and the K. If you are fine with any Sabre variant then no problem, if you want the better known day fighter variants, then KH is not making any of these.

The Hasegawa kit is quite old but is also quite good in shape and has decent details for its age. Panel lines are raised. the Kinetic kit is more recent with recessed panel lines but it's one of the very first kits from this company and the mould lacks finesse, the panel lines are heavy and inconsistent and some details are rough. Italeri also reboxed the Kinetic kit.

Drift,

Welcome to the fraternity! If the version doesn't matter, IIRC (1/32 isn't my scale- see my name?) the Hasegawa kit is an F-86F-40, so it has an almost two foot increase in span at the tip and a 6-3 wing with slats. If you want to do a Korean War era F-86F-30, you just need to remove the parallel chord section immediately behind the wingtip and reattach the tip and scribe the aileron hinge line out to the edge of the tip- then fill in all the panel lines associated with the slats. Don't forget the wing fence at about 2/3 span. Our resident Sabre authority will most likely log in and let you know the nations that used F-86's with the F-40 or F-30 wing. (What he doesn't know would fit on the head of a pin!) From everything I have read, the Hasegawa kit, although long in the tooth, is still very accurate, but could probably do with an aftermarket seat and cockpit. Good luck- hope this helps you a little.

Mike

Don't forget to put the proper amount of droop in the speedbrakes if you do them extended- almost forgot that one!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...