Phantom & Eurofighter

Kits – 1:72  Fujimi FG1 Phantom (original issue) & Revell Eurofighter.

Paint – All enamels.

Decals – Modeldecal 097 (Phantom) & Xtradecal 72230 (Eurofighter)

Extras – None, both models are completely from the box.

McDD Phantom FG.1                                      

43 Squadron                                                    

RAF Leuchars                                                 

Mid 1988                                                       

two%202_zpsns6bssqx.jpg

1a_zpsgw1abyaz.jpg

1b_zpsfzr8qc3w.jpg

1c_zpsqz2ajiar.jpg

2_zpszl1qw8t9.jpg

3_zpsge1mzszv.jpg

4_zpsi0qfpdt9.jpg

5_zpstlgpaiqv.jpg

6_zpsn1eijbzp.jpg

Built for the ‘Micro Modelling Month’ Campaign (GB) over at Modellers Alliance, Exactly three weeks from opening the boxes until finishing today – well I say finished, both models have a little ‘tidying-up’ still to do. The Phantom needs its ECM aerials on the top of the fin painted, blue 'concrete Sparrows' in the forward bays and the nav lights on the wing-tips. The Typhoon needs the IR sensor painted and again the nav lights on the wingtip pods.

The Phantom is the last one in my stash and was bought with around five or six others when they first came-out in 1987 – yes they are thirty years old this year – the others were all built and enjoyed but are no-longer with us. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of this build and after five previous attempts at building one these things, this is the first time I think I got it right !! – that said a MASSIVE amount of credit must go to Modeldecal, Dick Ward really knew what he was doing back in the day, the decals are around twenty-five years old and behaved flawlessly.

Stay tuned more in a min...

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 27

Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4

11 Squadron '100 Years Anniversary'

RAF Coningsby

a_zpsvwnwbdfg.jpg

a2_zpslblujlsx.jpg

a1_zpsmaeye1mr.jpg

b_zpsnftc9mfv.jpg

c_zpsyr9eihea.jpg

d_zpsdajkondg.jpg

e_zpsrtfeh1zz.jpg

two%201_zps4atfmrwp.jpg

The Revell Typhoon on the other hand was a massive disappointment. Yes I know it’s easy to find and relatively inexpensive but it’s a very poor kit, some poor fit issues, some dismal and some just plain unforgivable. Yes they can all be fixed or repaired but definitely a 6.5-out-of-10 for RoG. I’ve not built the HB kit and can’t afford a Hasegawa one so I’ve nothing to directly compare it to, perhaps folks here could advise as I really want to build a German 'Taifun' also in anniversary colours soon !!

Please feel free to make any criticism, ask any questions or make any comments. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 24

Both superb looker's Ian,weathering just right too,I quite like the Hobbyboss kit it's cheap easy to assemble(it's classed as an easy-kit

one piece fuselage and wing's etc) and looks like a Typhoon when complete great for anyone wanting to try a host of schemes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian said:

The Revell Typhoon on the other hand was a massive disappointment. Yes I know it’s easy to find and relatively inexpensive but it’s a very poor kit, some poor fit issues, some dismal and some just plain unforgivable. Yes they can all be fixed or repaired but definitely a 6.5-out-of-10 for RoG. I’ve not built the HB kit and can’t afford a Hasegawa one so I’ve nothing to directly compare it to, perhaps folks here could advise as I really want to build a German 'Taifun' also in anniversary colours soon !!

Hasegawa fits better and has a full set of weapons pylons, but the seat is rubbish and the exhausts are only accurate if you're modelling an aircraft in flight. A replacement seat can, I believe, be found in Pavla's resin cockpit set. Olimp's replacement resin nozzles look lovely but are too large and don't fit.

Revell's seat is pretty much spot on and the overall shape is very good, but as you found it takes a lot of work because the fit is poor in a lot of places.

Hobbyboss is the least accurate of the three. It looks like a Typhoon but that's about it. I've heard it goes together reasonably well, but it's got too many errors for me.

Italeri's old kit is based on the original Development Aircraft and is OK, but not brilliant and not very representative of a production jet.

• Like 2

Hello,Ian - Greetings from across the miles! Your Phantom and Typhoon are fine looking builds and both are beautifully finished.The degree of weathering is realistic and not overdone.43Sqn. and 11 Sqn. are well represented here.

However,you may be surprised by this,because the Phantom is my phavourite!

Great work.

😉👍All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Two impressive examples of "power modelling" three weeks for those is a great effort & they look terrific. The Phantom is a class effort all around but my favourite has to be the 11 Sqn Typhoon, in spite of your trials with the kit, hard to go wrong with an 11 Sqn machine. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, glad you like the builds:

Bobski - I wasn't aware of the probs with the Hasegawa seat, but as you say that's easily solved. The biggest problem with that kit of course is the high price, I'm seeing around £20-£25.00, I know we should pay for quality, however, can I justify paying that much especially when I've just seen another RoG one on eBAy for £9.00 - I just don't know.

Next, I'll take a wee break before coming back with something a wee bit bigger...

...and this time, I'll finish it !!

AFN

Ian.

Edited by Ian

59 minutes ago, Ian said:

Thanks everyone, glad you like the builds:

Bobski - I wasn't aware of the probs with the Hasegawa seat, but as you say that's easily solved. The biggest problem with that kit of course is the high price, I'm seeing around £20-£25.00, I know we should pay for quality, however, can I justify paying that much especially when I've just seen another RoG one on eBAy for £9.00 - I just don't know.

Next, I'll take a wee break before coming back with something a wee bit bigger...

...and this time, I'll finish it !!

AFN

Ian.

For reference the new Revell tool i mentioned is a bit cheaper than the Hasegawa, can be had for 15.79 on eBay at the moment..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Revell have a new tool now out which Ive heard fits as good as the hasegawa. Great result on both builds anyway 

It doesn't. They haven't fixed any of the fit issues with the previous kit, they've removed most of the stores and they've upped the RRP.