Coverage from 2ml and 5ml cups

Steve Coombs

I'm finally taking the leap from hairy stick to an airbrush, and have my eye on an H&S Infinity - nothing like going all-in. I've had my feverish hands on one a couple of times at various shows and demos, so have an idea of the feel of the thing.

However, it has dawned on me that there is a question I didn't ask. I see that there are options for 2ml and 5ml paint cups, so what kind of coverage should I expect for each capacity of cup? I typically build in 1/72nd, and am curious if I'd manage, let's say, an entire EE Lightning with 2ml of paint or whether I'd need the larger capacity. Is there any rule of thumb for the volume of paint required to cover a specific area? Spray pressure probably plays a role too.

Any comments or observations most welcome.

Steve

There are so many vairables, type of paint, how much you thin it, how thick you lay it down.

If your going to be priming with the airbrush you may need the bigger capacity cup, it's not essential just saves you topping up the smaller cup so much.

If your doing a lot of small detail spraying like mottling then a small cup may be better as it allows you to see the area your spraying better when your close up, and tends to make the airbrush feel not so bulky in your hand.

Doesn't the Infinity come with 2 cups anyway as their interchangable

• Like 1

Spare cups for H&S are reasonably priced,so not a major issue.  If you are buying the Infinity crplus 0.2, you will get a 2ml cup and lid in the set. I  would get the 5ml cup and possibly lid  as well for large areas and priming. And if you are looking for ultra fine detail the micro cup  can be useful.

Paul

• Like 1