Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat

PlasticSoldier

Hi, 

I've just started a new model which (funnily enough) is the Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat. Problem is, I know literally nothing about this type of boat, so I'm wondering if people could help me with the following...

1) I need some colour pictures of the wheelhouse of a WW2 RN torpedo boat, or at least some good description of one so I can get the colours right

2) Some detailed description of the crew number, roles, ranks and uniform (colour pictures or paint guides would be appreciated)

3) What do all the different types of flags mean? eg: there is a red and white thin stripe one, green and white stripes, white and black cross, and a white square flag with a smaller blue square in it

Links to information websites are helpful, but if you could just explain that'd be fine

Many thanks,

PlasticSoldier

Hi Plastic Soldier

Suggest you get a hold of the Signal Vosper Torpedo Boats book - has all the answers you need. The other option is an of the excellent books by the late John Lambert (Coastal Forces).

Photos and scale drawing for the wheelhouse, crew details and so on are there. Andrew Molo's excellent Uniforms of World War 2 will be the best option for uniform detail. The flags are called pennants and each means either a number, a letter of the alphabet or an "action signal" - Look up "navy signal flags" on google - lots there to give you what you need.

Cheers

Tim H (DBN ZA)

On 22/03/2017 at 2:05 PM, Hardcastle said:

Hi Plastic Soldier

Suggest you get a hold of the Signal Vosper Torpedo Boats book - has all the answers you need. The other option is an of the excellent books by the late John Lambert (Coastal Forces).

Photos and scale drawing for the wheelhouse, crew details and so on are there. Andrew Molo's excellent Uniforms of World War 2 will be the best option for uniform detail. The flags are called pennants and each means either a number, a letter of the alphabet or an "action signal" - Look up "navy signal flags" on google - lots there to give you what you need.

Cheers

Tim H (DBN ZA)

Thank you so much, I'll get looking straight away