1/48 Ki-46 Dinah

Well, here she is all done and looking a little roughed, but still dang pretty! The final job to do was a the EZ line to the mast and tail, but that went a hella lot easier than I thought it would! A little dab of CA, a touch of accelerator and it was done faster than I could worry about doing it!

GKCUVUv.jpg

pDGkBlb.jpg+AZDrZ0q.jpg+

AvkmjYi.jpg+

k9BbwGJ.jpg

ol9MfUa.jpg

YtRN9vb.jpg

RfVwwlT.jpg

ZdRCSz9.jpg

HOiKfmC.jpg

XXDrW4P.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with how she turned out. There are a w niggling things, such as some silvering on the upper wing hinomaru, a few mold lines I forgot to scrape off from the gear legs - and somehow the mast ended up too far back... Don't know how that happened, but the canopy should be almost touching it in the open position. Oh well! I Iike how she looks. She won't win any medals, but she's a great shelf-sitter!

And here she is with an unlikely friend from a shelf or two above...

cRdBrxR.jpg

3L2SvH6.jpg

4dXAvFW.jpg

UTAOWwO.jpg

cXkFhuo.jpg

So that's it for the Dinah and the Corsair!

Next up for aircraft is a Tamiya 1/48 Do335A, but I need to get a battlestar out of the way first!;)

• Like 26

Great couple of builds you have there .

Guy

I like that a lot Thom, I built the 1/72 Hasgawa Dinahs (-II and -III) last year, they're very beautiful aircraft and yours has captured that. Your Corsair is lovely too, but the Corsair's looks are more distinctive than elegant :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Real nice job Thom, I like it ! :yes:

First time I saw the Dinah, I've been puzzled by her tiny size :huh:

And the bent wing bird show it all the best way possible !

Congratulations, nice weathering too !

Thank for sharing.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi Thom,

That is a nicely finished model. Do you mind me asking what paints you used? I have just ordered the Arii 1/72 Hasgawa Dinah III (and I know it won't turn out as nice as yours, regardless of how good, bad or indifferent the Arii kit is).

Regards,

David

Thank you very much guys! I could point out a number of things that didn't turn out quite right - but I won't!!:lalala:

I too was a little thrown by the disparate sizes. Those huge nacelles and the streamlined profile make one think of a far larger plane.

Here she is besides a same scale Tigercat that I built about a decade ago.

5DlWDFt.jpg

MGaqV3l.jpg

Looks a lot smaller now!

As for paints, I used Tamiya and Model Master, and not exactly the colors suggested by the instructions. I didn't have any Tamiya spray can colors and there are no bottled versions of the same from that manufacturer, so I matched as best I could. The top color is straight XF-70 Dark Green 2. The bottom color is straight Model Master Light Ghost Gray 4762. The yellow on the wings is a mix of Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow and XF-26 Clear Orange. The props are the recommended Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown.

Good luck with the build Dazey, and post pics!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Good luck with the build Dazey, and post pics!

Hi Thom,

Thanks for the information – it's very useful as I've got a few IJN and IJA kits I'm looking forward to building.

Hopefully the Arii Ki-46 will be worthy of an RFI!

Regards,

David

• Like 1

that came out really nicely Thom! Great to see the end result after an interesting WIP. I'd never heard of this aircraft until your build, so thanks for bringing me something new :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Nice Dinah.  I'm surprised at the size as well, but I still think that was a 1/32 Corsair!

Ha! Unless Tamiya miss-scaled their planes!;)

16 hours ago, Madhatter said:

that came out really nicely Thom! Great to see the end result after an interesting WIP. I'd never heard of this aircraft until your build, so thanks for bringing me something new :) 

Thanks a lot! I recommend it. Even if you just build it OOB, it is a sweet little kit.