Bristol Beaufighter TF Mk.X - Tamiya 1/48

Hello chaps,

after a prolonged absence from my workbench because of my ongoing issues with depression/anxiety etc, culminating recently in a (thankfully brief) hospital admission, I have finally been able to get back to some modelling. Call it therapy of sorts, I suppose. I decided a little while back to just get a kit out and put it together - no paint, no decals, no fancy aftermarket gizzmos! I found it really quite liberating. After testing the water with a few Airfix kits I have gravitated towards some of the Tamiya kits in my stash (and some not), mostly because they generally go together so well.  Anyway, I now have a cabinet full of completed (albeit unpainted) kits and a growing pile of empty boxes in the spare room. I realise some people may view this as a waste of good kits, but I see it as a means to an end, and I have found it very satisfying putting together some superbly engineered kits. I even took the plunge and tackled a couple of my 1/32 kits (F4U & P-51K). Plus I've built more models in the last few weeks than in the last 7-8 years....

I wasn't going to paint this one, but then I thought why not? I'm not a great Beaufighter fan, so if I screw it up then so what, it's all a learning experience. So here it is, unremarkable probably by many standards, but a finished model nonetheless. It's done strictly OOB and for the most part following Tamiya's painting guide. I haven't weathered at all yet, but I may still add a bit of dirt (and armaments) to make it look a bit more interesting. Also, the eagle-eyed amongst  you may notice that the interior is unpainted. I'll save that for the next one.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

33529380266_cc9bf40fd9_b.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter TF Mk.X by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

33570175775_f3eaf54f74_b.jpg

33570178935_6cc9cf2bfb_b.jpg

33529392996_70cf3ed61d_b.jpg

33570183115_fccd2aabdf_b.jpg

• Like 32

Nice clean build of your "Beau" :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

I've got the same issues with you regarding my depression and anxiety, I had a breakdown two years ago due to stress and my modelling helped me big time with it.

That is a fantastic looking beaufighter. Up until my late teens I never painted my kits, Now I take great pride in painting them and now build review samples for a magazine. Btw just wanted to give a little feedback, those collector rings on those engines shouldn't be copper/bronze, the collector rings as they were called were painted in a heat resistance black over the bear metal, and when the engine where running they heated up giving the illusion of them being bronze/copper.

I made the same error on my Tamiya Beaufighter so I repainted them

• Like 1

Hang in there Andrew, you are not alone in dealing with these problems. I have them as well. Friends you can trust can be a big help. As far as the Beaufighter is concerned. I think it looks wonderful! On top of that it is a perfect platform to try future weathering and painting tricks before committing to something that you have put more time into.

Remember, cut yourself some slack. You can't take care of anything if you don't take care of yourself first.

• Like 1