Mosquito NF Mk.II - Tamiya 1/72 * Now with added PR IV *

CedB

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

Aye, we used to 'av tut warm the watter in oor mouths. Tell the kids today, they won't believe you :D 

Thanks Benedikt - those who want one will hunt them down!

Tailplanes attached:

33706839375_f7f3b1f758_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

BluTak under the tail and gently pushed down to get the level. The set square at the back is to make sure the fin was upright as the spars are a bit wobbly.

Rioja is calling!

Oh coming in right in for the marriage.

Just a link for the T-Shirt I found on the webfail site:

http://www.sonsofarthritis.de/

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

More great progress. Couldn't like the comment about work making you grumpy. No one likes a grumpy Ced. Hope the Rioja helps you out kid.

Johnny

ooh wings look awsome! :guitar::lol:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Your moulding goes from strength to strength Ced whilst the paintwork on those internals is most handsome! You should feel well pleased with progress on this.

Tony 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

No one likes a grumpy Ced. Hope the Rioja helps you out kid.

Thanks Johnny - the Rioja helped, thanks, but for some reason my eyes are a bit fuzzy this morning. Could be the Rioja, or my weekly weep at 'This Is Us'. That's going to divide opinion I know, but I really like the schmultz (yes, I had to look that up... not to be confused with Schmaltz which is, apparently, goose fat).  I like to 'keep in touch with my feminine side' but only at the weekends (joke, no it's a joke, honestly).

6 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Ced, it's reached that point where it suddenly goes all Mosquito

Thanks Stew :) I'm still using yours as a reference (they're both beautiful) but bottling out at drilling out the lights... too lazy, even if it would mean I could finally use those Tamiya clears I bought ages ago. Ho hum.

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

+1

John

Thanks John :) 

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work on the pilot moulding experiment Ced. Think we're all learning things from that.

Thanks Col - kind of you to say so :) 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Your moulding goes from strength to strength Ced whilst the paintwork on those internals is most handsome! You should feel well pleased with progress on this.

Tony 

Thanks Tony - it does seem to be dragging along a bit (for me) but getting close now :) 

1 hour ago, DAG058 said:

Looking good Ced.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Sweet looking with wings on :clap: 

Ciao

38 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Once again - wot they all said...!! :thumbsup:

K

33 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Yes, it looks obviously like a nice Mossie!

Thanks DAG, Giorgio, Keith and Benedikt - getting even closer with the wingtips on, props assembled and a start on the canopy masking:

33716051795_8e21fca6be_z.jpg

What's our view on the transfers for some of the internal canopy framing? Bit of a weird idea if you ask me... worth the bother do you think?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CedB said:

bottling out at drilling out the lights

Ced to be honest I could probably have got almost exactly the same result simply by painting the engraved light discs silver and then applying the relevant Tamiya clear colour over the top of that - that might be an easier approach.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

What's our view on the transfers for some of the internal canopy framing? Bit of a weird idea if you ask me... worth the bother do you think?

Transfers on transparents? Just thinking of it scares the h.ll out of me :frantic: (bit I must remind you that I'm very biased when talking about transfers/decals :winkgrin:  :whistle: )

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Missed that bit, sorry Ced - I didn't bother with it, but it is supposed to represent the internally-framed part of the canopy toward the rear, the front part was conventionally framed on the outside.

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Transfers on transparents? Just thinking of it scares the h.ll out of me

That's mostly why I didn't bother with it :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Thanks Patrice and Stix :)

Stew thanks for the tips - I've left off the 'internal transfers' as I'm with Giorgio; weird and a bit scary. I might have a go at silvered and painted ident lights though...

The prop tips have been painted:

32875322284_483bd954be_z.jpg

You can see I did the PR's at the same time. Nice to note that there are little lines where the tip should be painted to hopefully I'll get a nice clean line.

Canopy masking complete and glued on with Gator's Grip;

33592612211_46e45a423a_z.jpg

It's a really good fit. You can see in that shot the tiny amount of filler required in one wing root (Vallejo, I like the nozzle) probably because I glued them on late at night and let the model rest on its nacelles. Hmmm.

I think I'll let that canopy dry overnight and prime tomorrow. Maybe.

• Like 14

Thanks Giorgio - wait no longer; I couldn't!

32911370913_2af3c2ae8f_z.jpg

Note that the prop blades haven't been sprayed - yet. My plan is to spray them Vallejo Air NATO black and see what the tonal difference is and then maybe do some variation of the black with black and maybe a bit of brushed black. The Stynylrez is sooooo nice though:

32911380323_ece2ed8ca8_z.jpg

• Like 13

What a beauty simply in black!! Like it very much! Cheers from a now divorced one. :whistle: Now we will see, what turns into what or not. Seen things like this so often. Cheers again from Germany (as usual)!

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt, Giorgio and Keith :) 

I've put, er, Gunmetal on the guns:

33571155372_69ff089d89_z.jpg

and tried Stew's idea of silvering the ident lights - I'll put some colour on last:

32914081783_3f3ec0a8d3_z.jpg

The slightly different coloured mount rings are Sharpie to cover up the oops applying the AK True Metal but I'll call them 'detailing'. It'll tone down under the matt coat.

Prop blades and possible variation, then transfers next... dare I try them without a gloss coat? Spray with Klear first? Puddle them with Klear?

Thoughts?

• Like 12

Looking nice Ced B)

I would use whatever method you usually use for transfers; I know it would save time to just apply them straight onto the paint, but I used the puddle of Klear method and still got a bit of silvering aft of the portside tail flash and round the edge of one of those 'trestle here' stencils under the fuselage - incidentally, while it is of course completely up to you, the red stencils effectively dissapear once applied on the black paint and I gave up on them about half-way through... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4