Mosquito NF Mk.II - Tamiya 1/72 * Now with added PR IV *

CedB

Thanks John :) I'm trying to get a stock of various sizes so that I don't have to do this again in a hurry. Hopefully!

Thanks Jan - good tip, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Giorgio - very kind. I think I need to slow down on the resin 'injection' - perhaps mix smaller batches and make sure I get the bubbles out. I'll see if I can make some more air channels.

• Like 2

Still feeling a bit grot and shaky but time for some more, slower, resin pouring. 

While I was being more careful, look what I noticed:

32835466614_64a609c314_z.jpg

Bubbles in the pipette by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Yep. If using a pipette to 'inject' the resin, make sure you don't let go of the bulb or you'll get a bubble in the resin which you'll then inject (as me how I know, now)

Round 2 PJs:

32866932083_68ca0d539b_z.jpg

Just one missing head. I found a 'replacement' from the round 1 moulding - call me Frankenstein!

Body parts strip:

32837142044_9832e346d4_z.jpg

33296237330_c0674da915_z.jpg

33639577836_ace8ebab72_z.jpg

And the skinnies and Archies:

33296237230_7a1e29975d_z.jpg

Again, a replacement head rescued from the bin.

All in all not bad. So the lesson is, don't rush the pour / injection and watch out for bubbles in the pipette!

That's it for now, back to the Mossie when I'm feeling less wobbly.

• Like 11

What a great idea! I had to hunt through the spares box and struggled to find two suitable crew members for my Mossie. I will bookmark your thread for future reference! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Thanks Keith - I thought I was less wobbly and have actually done some Mossie assembly, which made me wobbly again - rats.

Thanks Jan - very kind.

Thanks PC - which Hammer film do you think? 'The Plague of the Zombies (1966)' perhaps? Hopefully not 'Frankenstein Must be Destroyed (1969)'! You got me going now...

Thanks Stix - very kind. I've had some donations from very kind BMers (thanks again chaps) but these moulds are for 'rare' or discontinued figures... hence all the effort.

The internals have had my usual nonsense with the Pitt pens and Liquidex ink (applied with a tiny brush). 'Quatermass and the Pit (1967)':

33524682632_294c2c2100_z.jpg

33554044551_5dbab6d172_z.jpg

You won't see the back of the radio when it's on the ceiling. Should have covered it with something, perhaps The Mummy's Shroud(1967).

i used the Touch-N-Flow on all this and I'm getting on with it OK. The weld certainly goes off quickly and the resultant seams look nice:

33299475690_048f48072e_z.jpg

33299499520_71005a83bd_z.jpg

That bottom seam has been scraped with a scalpel, as per the videos, but I think I did it too soon. Hopefully it'll sand, I'm sure it will.

I removed the strake as per advice on BM:

32840727024_d63d90e901_z.jpg

Not as perfect as Stew's but OK. Bit wobbly now so the Twins of Evil (1971) will have to wait for a while:

33527232712_00c4638e57_z.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks Giorgio and Stew, very kind :)

I suddenly had a worry that they wouldn't fit so did some tests and before I knew it:

32872303633_c5de8c5d7d_z.jpg

33685507785_bd23aa1b80_z.jpg

The pilot's hands rest nicely on the controls but his feet push the i/p a bit so some clamping needed later. The Nav is obviously enjoying himself - way hey!

All glued now but not the canopy - that's just held there while the rest dries to make sure it goes on later:

32842795054_05cac1d1bd_z.jpg

• Like 13

The cockpit looks very impressive and especially with the crew in place - and well done on getting the fuselage glued together. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 4:47 PM, Leonl said:

Woohoo 5th one through the door....

I've built this kit..... Enjoyed every finger sticking minute!! One of my best I think and I'd do it again in a beat...

I can't recall any issues along the way. I think the worst it got was blanking off the back of the nav's radio equipment as it can be visible through the canopy.

Oo... one issue was some silvering on the decals.... (see the link below).

nice - what im building once im home, did the Xtadecal decals silver or kit?

• Like 2

Great work on the crew Ced. The pit looks very nice indeed, sorry to hear your wobbling maybe the Rioja? :o or maybe some would stop the wobble.  All this talk of Claret reminds me of "The House that bled to death"  nice to see you're a fan of Hammer classics. :thumbsup:

Great bit of progress you have going on. Bravo. 

Johnny

• Like 1

Thanks Stix - I sensed some doubt about the fuselage join in your comment and now I know why - see below!

Hi Tim - one for Leon I guess; I'll be using the kit decals so watch this space.

Thanks Johnny - the wobbly isn't wine induced, sadly, it's an old man thing. Getting better though and I'm expecting 'normal service' tomorrow.

Fuselage fit. Hmmm. Remember this one?

33685523905_eea86a1c5a_z.jpg

See how the bulkhead doesn't meet the fuselage sides? I had some pondering when I fitted the part to the floor but was really concentrating on using the TnF. There's a lug on the bulkhead that may either fit over a step but stop the locating peg going into the part OR it's designed to angle the bulkhead backward. Who knows. By this time the pilot had kicked it out of kilter anyway. It certainly meant that the gun cover on the bottom was going to be a problem:

32844789014_98c14cf9d4_z.jpg

until I poked it all around a bit. This made the gunsight very close to the pilot:

33531212042_57bf354e74_z.jpg

and may have caused problems with the nose:

33533563982_e9e4345341_z.jpg

although I doubt it. Cutting off the locators solved the nose issue, but there something wrong somewhere as the ?bomb bay? didn't fit on this side:

33649172506_cac7f25fd6_z.jpg

Mind you, I'm used to kits where a gap that small would be a win! 

I'll let the glue dry and sand the seams tomorrow.

Seems to be pretty close to the end of the instructions now.

• Like 12

Thanks Benedikt :D Not Arthritis in my case, just clumsy! I was feeling better today and then work got in the way :( 

Keith and John if you're into T-shirts I suggest a quick trip to oldies-club.com and check out their range - my favourite.

Thanks Cookie - I'm very close to adding the wings and things but work has made me grumpy so I'm staying away from the bench until I mellow!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beard said:

When I were a lad...

Aye, we used to 'av tut warm the watter in oor mouths. Tell the kids today, they won't believe you :D 

Thanks Benedikt - those who want one will hunt them down!

Tailplanes attached:

33706839375_f7f3b1f758_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

BluTak under the tail and gently pushed down to get the level. The set square at the back is to make sure the fin was upright as the spars are a bit wobbly.

Rioja is calling!

• Like 11