Mosquito NF Mk.II - Tamiya 1/72 * Now with added PR IV *

CedB

I'd like to build this as my next entry:

121606-11185-50-pristine.jpg

I'm looking forward to this, OOB, after my recent kit bashing on the Hornet and Seafire. I need a rest and mojo boost, which is also why I've chosen the NF version - easier. And aerials, obviously, it's the aerials.

• Like 10

Blimey! A seat in the front row, unusual for me.

A mosquito story for you before the masses arrive. About 25 years ago I went to see the De Havilland collection at Salisbury hall, where amongst other things resides the prototype Mosquito.

being called for lunch so I'll continue this later, I hope I've whetted your appetite.

John

• Like 1

Good afternoon Ced

Very nice choice you will appreciate the difference with the Hornet and Seafire ..If only all plastic models were as easy to build as Tamiya kits ..

Regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

Back again ( we're an hour ahead of you ) after home made chicken soup with croutons.

So there I was at Salisbury Hall wandering around taking pictures. I started outside and eventually wandered into the hangar, and there resplendent in it's yellow paint was the prototype. There was no-one else around and  I got chatting to the attendant, then noticed that the hatch under the nose was open so asked if I could stand underneath and take some photos up into the cockpit. The attendant said " I can do better than that " and produced the boarding ladder and invited me to climb up and take my photos from inside with the proviso that I didn't touch anything, so up I went and snapped away, I couldn't believe my luck.

Now that I have the equipment to scan negatives into my computer, I'll try to find them and post some photos, but don't hold your breath.

Cheers

John

• Like 6

Welcome Patrice, Giorgio and Keith - pleased to have you along :)

Great story John - you're a lucky chap. Just goes to show that it pays to be nice to people; "Proper Chaps will out!". I've saved the De Havilland Museum and the close-by heritage centre (which I think is the same organisation and may be a Google error) in my Google maps for a visit. Their website has some interesting stuff and the video on the Tsetse is playing as I type. Somehow I don't think this will be my last Mossie build...

• Like 3

Woohoo 5th one through the door....

I've built this kit..... Enjoyed every finger sticking minute!! One of my best I think and I'd do it again in a beat...

I can't recall any issues along the way. I think the worst it got was blanking off the back of the nav's radio equipment as it can be visible through the canopy.

Oo... one issue was some silvering on the decals.... (see the link below).

Edited by Leonl
added text
  • Like 1

Hi Ced,

Well there is no stopping you!  I'll nab a seat, if that's OK and bring some caramel:popcorn:.

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Welcome Johnny - camo, what camo? Night fighter black this one. Take a seat :)

Nice to see you John - I hope the police don't catch you with those snoopers! :)

Hi Christian - caramel will be great (but no chomping) :)

I've been distracted today by new shelves in an airing cupboard (boring) and thinking about molding / moulding some pilots. I have a painted one picked out for this build but I'll run the molding in parallel if that's OK with you guys?

33534972416_c10e79eaeb_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

On the left, the 'old molds' that I want to try again and decide if they're good enough. On the right and at the front the new victims.

These three, excitingly small ones and part of the collection kindly donated by Keith, have been placed in the frame with pour rods up their, er, lower regions:

32761099563_7baab03643_z.jpg

The Touch-n-Flow (which I want to try on this kit) has also arrived so no excuse... I'll get started tomorrow.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice to see you John - I hope the police don't catch you with those snoopers!

You too, Ced! I'm fine... there appears to be a mandate for that sort of thing around here these days ;).

Looking forward to seeing how the moulding goes, too.

• Like 1

No need to apologise Simon - you're very busy! Pop, fizz, take a horse's douvres :)

Hi Benedikt. :rofl: I know nothing about Sport... is that what Footballers call 'The Wall'?

Jont I have bought the white wash, and black and 'Dark Dirt'. But on black? Takes a brave man...

Thanks John - the moulding will be interesting... how to mould resin without bubbles... it's a dark art!

Just watched 633 Squadron on Amazon... it was only £2 odd but I should have looked on YouTube first. Idiot. Although I'm always a bit guilty about pirating... except when I dress up at the weekend. Why are Pirates pirates? Because they arrrrrrrrgh!

The box is open, the instructions are out. Hopefully I'll actually do something on the kit before page 2.

• Like 4

Feeling guilty about lack of progress, I drilled the holes for the NF:

32735364314_8a8042b788_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Probably best NOT to do this after a couple of glasses of Rioja:

33578426865_29aa407ec4_z.jpg

Who said you don't need filler on a Tamiya kit? Doesn't apply to idiots, obviously.

(Flickr's 'Aviary' editor is apparently broken at the moment. Please imagine a red arrow on the 'dent' in the right hand part and the word 'Oops')

• Like 11

Hello Ced. It's morning here. Therefore I'll grab a seat at the back, for this matinee performance.

I'll just be sipping Alka-Seltzer and water. Got a banana and a boiled egg too. Not that I've got a hangover or anything :hungover:.

Mosquitoes are sublimely beautiful aircraft. Great choice for the GB :)

Rioja? Me too; last night with a couple of hours on a Tamiya Spitfire. I daren't look at what I've done to the cowl :facepalm:.

That little drill dent will fill in fine Ced, it might be the only filler you'll need on the kit :thumbsup2: .

Looking forward to this.

All the best

TonyT

PS: I'm glad you're doing the nightfighter, I couldn't have stood anything too bright today. I've brought my pillow, this nice blanket and..... :sleep_1:

• Like 4

Hello Ced :) I thihk that you will find this a pleasant surprise after your recent tribulations, but I don't want to oversell it and inflate your expectations too much so that you end up disappointed... the only thing I would recommend in addition is the canopy mask set, if you haven't already weakened accordingly? :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Just a thought about casting those figures. When you pour the resin, (?), into them you might find that air is trapped in the legs, resulting in short shots. Might be an idea to attach some fine rod/wire to their feet to allow any trapped air to escape.

Nice ding there! Great to see that others do it as well and that I am not alone...

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1