Mosquito NF Mk.II - Tamiya 1/72 * Now with added PR IV *

CedB

Thanks Stew, me too! :) 

Thanks Keith, very kind - they may look OK but the proof is in the molding!

The moulds are out:

32776232884_a9e94631ec_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The resin has been mixed. I'd forgotten just how quickly this stuff goes off:

33462267952_0882b0c7af_z.jpg

so for further attempts I mixed less - a lot less - somewhere around 20ml. I used a pipette to pre-coat the moulds and to 'inject' the resin. I also used my nail file sander to vibrate the moulds a bit (the blue thing):

33618916635_22b6c1cb0c_z.jpg

I'd also forgotten that the moulds leak:

33235697920_5f2c5087e6_z.jpg

must think of a way of holding the halves together. We'll see in a while how they come out. I'm not confident; prepare for skeletons!

• Like 6

Look, I sprayed some Mosquito bits:

32805907413_0ea2cc8725_z.jpg

having realised I could just paint the PR's bits on the sprue. I think I'll do them separately as I'm not very good at juggling...

• Like 9

Pilot moulding results. I suggest you 'have a visit' now or the laughter may cause an accident.

Silicon putty mould - the hole should have been filled:

33578729356_0575f642d8_n.jpg 33236427820_4ef33e92b2_n.jpg

PR (no longer available) copy mould which needs to be held together as it leaked:

33490513961_cbb980dfbe_z.jpg

I have no need for a skeleton crew :coat:

New mould on the three small pilots. I thought I'd squirted resin in the legs but...

33578803856_9c5520bb68_z.jpg

There's also a problem with the 'pour tube and reservoir' - you get a molding that can't be removed without attacking it with edge cutters:

33490569961_582eba43a6_n.jpg 33578813026_7422e46f16_n.jpg

Duh :doh: That said, and ignoring the lack of legs, they're usable:

33236600440_dba9ea7bf9_z.jpg

especially for this really tight cockpits. I'll try again sometime, they're certainly worth the effort, but the mould has been binned.

Next one was a leaker too:

33490681571_6fefbae876_n.jpg 33463203912_b4708b3b14_n.jpg

but only the left one suffered. The other three are OK (even though the iPhone won't focus on their features):

32777350494_08df3eef17_z.jpg

and finally the 'Defiant crew':

33490782291_8156067566_z.jpg

another problem with the mould not being held together. This guy seems to have been shocked by something:

33619958495_2884e06cdd_z.jpg

and, again, the pour tube idea is not perfect. Does my bum look big in this?

33490819521_1984f3bebb_z.jpg

Yes. nano-saw required. That said, another four usable figures, toes or no toes:

33490971541_a5d870f235_z.jpg

So the results of this round - say "Cheese" guys:

32806452523_7a89c663b5_z.jpg

In summary then, in comparison to the chubby 'Archies' in some old Airfix kits they're great. The process is reasonable straightforward, if somewhat messy, but worth it especially for the rare figures. Probably.

Why doesn't someone make some to buy though? Limited market I guess. I don't like the new PJ Production RAF ones (see them painted above) but I'm beginning to realise that the reduced detail on this version may be the result of problems molding the old, more detailed ones. Hmmm.

The other thing of course is that the materials have a shelf life - 6 months unopened for the resin I bought and Keith says about a year for the rubber? Better do some more molding soon then. Maybe.

• Like 6

Hello. You should make a diorama with a hospital and sctratch some wheel chairs. Otherwise they look good. Perfect for bomber turrets. By the way, you have an electrical nail sander? Sure? Could be also anther thing that vibrates. Lol :winkgrin:

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, bbudde said:

..............Could be also anther thing that vibrates. Lol :winkgrin:

For my sins I was thinking the same thing...…!

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - turret gunners! Brilliant idea! Hospital diorama not so much :D 

Yes, I'm sure it's a nail file (thanks Tony):

33241834200_a19fa3e9dc_z.jpg

It even has a safety feature - you can't turn it on without removing the top, presumably to avoid, er, abuse.

Last round of moulding, promise. I have a cunning plan that cannot fail. Remember I had to pull the legless pilots from the mould? That made me think I could do a 'body parts strip' from the great sprue @keefr22 sent me. If I put the parts near the top with pour holes straight onto the part then do a two-part mould BUT with no release agent on the bottom half I SHOULD be able to sort of peel the top of the mould open. Body part strip prepared:

33495243491_b876301e5e_z.jpg

and a similar technique for four skinnies and the two 'non worn' Archies:

33495443461_e4345d38af_z.jpg

Just 50ml of rubber was enough:

32782277814_115e1f346c_z.jpg

De-mould time is 8-24 hours so I'll check it in the morning.

• Like 9

The first picture shows, that I explained to you some time ago to cut the moulds (people) horizontal, because of the wider opening to fill without a fuss. So we shall see, what will be there after it is finished. Cheers

Hope your thing don't vibrate on the back :whistle:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Why doesn't someone make some to buy though? Limited market I guess.

Or it could be that you're achieving an industry standard reject rate Ced - maybe as you suggest with PJ, they're just too difficult to mould succesfully on a consistent basis? 

As to shelf life, I've used rubber over a year after I've opened it, but that certainly wasn't under measured conditions so it may just be a fluke! I don't throw stuff away until it's proved to be completely useless, so I just try using stuff to see if it still works!!

I did mean to send you the following link, (forgot!) to see if the type of mould might be useful, but I think you've already come up with your own variation, in your latest design.

https://www.alumilite.com/PDFs/Printables/How to make molds/Split-Glove-Mold.pdf

Fingers crossed for the latest attempt!

Keith

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Why doesn't someone make some to buy though?

Because, although most of my income comes from owning the copyright to the words 'Spitfire' and 'Seafire', I have a lucrative income from the sale of spare Airfix pilots. 

Interesting progress with the moulding though, I think I might give it a try sometime

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CedB said:

I'd also forgotten that the moulds leak:

33235697920_5f2c5087e6_z.jpg

must think of a way of holding the halves together. We'll see in a while how they come out. I'm not confident; prepare for skeletons!

What I do for two-part moulds; get two small boards of thin material; MDF, plywood or plasticard. Each the same size, both the size of the mould or slightly larger, but not less than. Place on either side of mould and hold there using small ratchet clamps. Elastic bands sometimes work too. But not regular spring clamps. With a ratchet clamp you can apply a measured force to hold the mould halves together without squashing them. Place the ratchet clamps just to the inside of the edge of the mould, the boards will help spread the clamping force equally across the moulds

• Like 3

Ah, here's you Ced - I might have guessed from the Body Farm!:D

I found this such a great read with a Sunday morning cuppa - so much so that my tea went cold as I forgot to drink it. You have great perseverance with a tricky process and I'm glad to see it's producing results - Keith's dead right about how much better this gets each time for you.

NF and PR Mosquitos? Consider me hooked. :clap2:

Good luck with this endeavour.

Tony

Ps. Have you thought of doing chocolate pilots for Easter? :whistle:

• Like 1

Thanks Gents :)

Benedikt, BK and Keith thanks for the tips.

Second pour curing, feeling a bit grot and today is Mothering Sunday AND our wedding anniversary...

Hopefully more later :) 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Gents :)

Benedikt, BK and Keith thanks for the tips.

Second pour curing, feeling a bit grot and today is Mothering Sunday AND our wedding anniversary...

Hopefully more later :) 

Always a good idea not to upset the important women in our lives!

Hope you start feeling better soon. After-effects of too much rubber/resin casting?:hmmm:

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Thanks Gents - very kind of you... 34 years, where did they go :)

Still too shaky to attempt the Mossie interior but shaky is good for resin pouring so I got the moulds out. The body parts strip:

33532084851_2a979a0e36_z.jpg

Which row of dents is the one with the parts under? No problem, the mould split nicely. As did the 'skinnies and original Archies' one:

33532344171_31a1e5cd77_z.jpg

Both needed cutting at the top of the pour slots. The theory with both is that I can hold the moulds open, fill the heads and bits with resin using a pipette, then close up, clamp the mould and top up the resin. Also, the skinnies mould has a leg in each reservoir so I could squirt resin in one side and watch it come up the other. Very satisfying (especially if it works). Done now:

32852663603_1c7639ff98_z.jpg

Thanks to Black Knight for the clamping tip - these are those cheap plastic ones with elastic bands so they grip, just not too much.

Fingers crossed for the de-mould later.

• Like 7

Thanks Benedikt and John :) 

Well, there has been wine and 'Line of Duty' (OMG! Another gripper!) tonight and there were two options; leave the mould until the morning and have a restless sleep with an early, but excited, early morning experience or de-mould after the Rioja. Guess what won.

Again I need to suggest 'a visit' to avoid accidents whilst laughing.

PJ copy:

33284824250_6d0026bb6b_z.jpg

Two arms and one body. Just not an arm on each side.

Skinnies and Archies:

33669139605_f0225468e0_z.jpg

32855759883_8181966847_z.jpg

A couple usable.

And now, dah dah dah, the body parts strip:

32855821373_ce4605890e_z.jpg

I wish Flickr would get their editor sorted but hey ho. I was going to do a 'head, shoulders, knees and toes' shot but it's too awful:

33284929090_7ec6156ca7_z.jpg

33628219106_6eba42cbe7_z.jpg

32825924394_3555640410_z.jpg

I'll clean them up tomorrow but I think I'll be lucky to get a whole body. Rats.

• Like 3

I like your efforts as i just stumbled in into your thread.

What you should do is make an airchannel to the other side of your subject in that way trapped air will be forced out ..

So make a channel at every end of the arms and legs and your succes rate will be higher.

I did that once with a nine cilinder engin and it worked great..

Best regards, Jan

• Like 3