Airfix Stirling Cockpit Floor Height

FZ6

I've noticed when people have built the Airfix 1:72 they have raised the new cockpit floor so it sits higher than the bomb bay.

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly how much should the cockpit floor be raised so it is correct?

Secondly is the cockpit floor sitting too low in the fuselage because the bomb bay is too shallow?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

9 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I've noticed when people have built the Airfix 1:72 they have raised the new cockpit floor so it sits higher than the bomb bay.

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly how much should the cockpit floor be raised so it is correct?

Secondly is the cockpit floor sitting too low in the fuselage because the bomb bay is too shallow?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I recall reading something about this a while ago and I think you are correct - I think someone mentioned that the Airfix kit bomb bay is too shallow which results in the cockpit floor being too low otherwise.

On 21/03/2017 at 0:10 PM, Lawzer said:

If you google short stirling cutaway diagram there may be some things on there that'll help?

Good idea Lawzer. I had a quick look but most cutaways I found were too low res. That has just reminded me. Last year I bought this book from the works and it has a cutaway drawing of a Stirling which is a decent size and originally appeared in the Aeroplane spotter magazine on 27 February 1942 so the artist would have had plenty of reference material available to work from and looks like it will be a good data source going forward. 

Looking at the cutaway and comparing it with the Airfix kit and the Warpaint drawings, it looks like top of the bomb bay comes up to horizontal panel line above the bomb bay which with my crude measurements makes it only a couple of mm too shallow  by my crude initial measurements. Of course making the bomb bay deeper is easier said than done. As the wing location tabs are recessed deeply into the fuselage they prevent making a deeper bomb bay without cutting into them and potentially affecting the structural integrity of the wing-fuselage join.

On 21/03/2017 at 5:59 PM, woody37 said:

John (Jaguar12) should be able to help with this Mark, they have now done 3d cad drawings for their Stirling project.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Neil, I'll have to get in touch with John.

On 21/03/2017 at 6:07 PM, dogsbody said:

A good place to ask Stirling questions:

http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/index.php?sid=784ac58bc20a9d41255266873b2a0882

Chris

Thanks for the link Chris, It looks to be a great site. I have noticed someone is doing some CAD Drawings in the modelling section which will be a great reference. I don't know if this is the same thing Neil is referring to.

Thanks for your help so far everyone.

Mark

• Like 1