WNW Albatros DV 1/32 'Wooden Wonder'

Hi All, 

Thought I'd offer a few WIPs of my Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros DV that I wanted to present using their 'Wooden Wonders' decal sheet markings. 

Here the fuselage is together and Pheon Models beautiful lozenge decals have gone on with no problems with the help of a little Micro Set and my wife's hair dryer!

650E7378-93FE-4468-9681-B1C8CF69A39D.jpg

The wings are now taped in readiness for some Tamiya Smoke to highlight the rib shadings.

B34F136A-DAAD-4D70-BCB0-F4E6B9AA7A85.jpg

Now the fuselage will be prepared for my first plunge into Uschi Van Der Rosten's Woodgrain Decals, which have attracted me for a while. These decals are transparent, so I'll highlight and preshade the individual panels with Gunze Radome and Tamiya Desert Sand that will show through them.

C3582C72-5B8B-46A2-9381-961DD0C4AD45.jpg

That's all for now. More soon.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Rafbanter
Can't spell
  • Like 4

Looks great! I'd love to do a Wingnuts model but the constraints of space and, er, marital bliss dictate that the Edward 1/72 DV will do for me!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Woodgrain decals are on the wing roots as well now.

F3138928-1E53-438A-A5BB-E3587C0414DD.jpg

I've certainly learned a lot using these. They are by far the thinnest decals I've ever used. Also, they don't behave like most decals I've used before.

I've noted that:

1. The need to be in warm water for no longer than around 6 seconds.

2. If they are in water too long & float off the backing paper you will NEVER be able to coax them back on to it.  

3. They LOVE to double back & stick to themselves. Again separating the sides that have adhered to each other is impossible. Give up & cut out another panel. 

Uschi recommends you measure each panel using masking tape, score the recess with your fingernail, then draw the panel lines with a pencil. So far, so good.

The instructions then say to remove most of the tack from the tape on the back of your hand before you apply the tape lightly to the decal surface and cut around it with a new blade.

I had disastrous results with this as the tape always removed some of the decal no matter how much tack I took off. These decal sheets are not huge, and I didn't have a lot to waste.

I further found that applying the tape to the back of the decal paper left me blind to the patterns of the woodgrain that I wanted to feature so I abandoned that idea as well.

in the end I applied the tape with the panel cut out onto a piece of clean A4 paper and cut out templates from this. 

Here is what I was left with in the end.

502D52D6-1C9D-4679-AD27-F2098A844A90.jpg

• Like 3

I've seen a lot of modellers more skilled than myself drill out their own nail heads but I knew I'd probably make a hash of that. So I thought I'd try HGW nail head decals. These come in lines you cut out & apply as normal except they are reversed on the sheet so that when you remove the decal backing only the printed nail head remains. Ingenious really. Not too intrusive either I thought.

2D4C3415-B0EA-45E4-9701-8DA669B0ADFD.jpg

• Like 7

Time to have a crack at the laminated wood propeller. I'm a bit nervous about this as these parts are not large even in 1/32 scale & I want to get the curves looking right. How those talented modellers do them in 1/48 and 1/72 is beyond me. I've seen some brilliant hand brushed jobs too but I don't have that skill level.

So I've started by spraying a base coat of Desert Sand and placed thin cut strips of Tamiya Masking tape over that to separate the Red Brown stripes. Here is the result with the tape removed.

79409719-20FC-4360-AA9C-ACDC4D4390FB.jpg

One good thing about Wingnut Wings kits is that the give you four propellers to choose from so you have plenty to practice with. This will be my fifth attempt in all (!) on 2 aircraft and I've decided to try artists oils this time.

But first a sealing gloss acrylic coat of clear orange & clear yellow      mixed (Just a few drops of each in thinner) 

676236AA-B58D-4118-BD5F-6D9D5E557D47_1.j

When dry I've brush painted the hub with Citadel Boltgun Metal. I don't know why I've done this really as the whole thing will be covered by the spinner but I quite like that you can see the 'wood' through the holes.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Time for a shot at the woodgrain now. I've decided to try artist's oils for the first time. I've chosen the Griffin Alklyd range from W&N for their fast drying properties. These paints are not cheap but are touch dry in one hour (!) rather than days for most oil paints.

0163066A-1C7A-4D98-8EA6-E3F31E61BF92.jpg

• Like 2

The colours are Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber & Yellow Ochre. Small amounts are squeezed out onto cardboard to absorb most of the oil, then each colour dabbed at random onto the propeller with a toothpick

9B01BCBA-98D3-432F-80EF-499A2F3B1126.jpg

• Like 1

Now out with my very worst paintbrush. This poor old fella has been bashed, hacked at & hammered for around a decade now through all paint media and has never been cleaned with anything but a crusty dry cloth. The bristles are like needles, ideal for dragging through oil paint.

6409A9D1-5F82-4E6E-9B3F-C8507E84761A.jpg

• Like 1

The next day I can airbrush a light coat of clear yellow & orange mixed together. Tried on 4 propellers before I was happy with  2 of the results. Hope you like 'em 😊

E1FD3C62-11D6-43CC-B275-508C8B637CE6.png

086F041F-C1D5-4056-97D9-BAAEE14A5DCE.png

Oops! Axial logo is upside down! Lucky I've hot spares in another kit 😝

• Like 6

Very very nice work and may I say that is a really nice workshop you appear to have :D. I have never tried the Uschi wood decals but they look very effective. Might I suggest 'Frisket' matt airbrush masking film for marking out/cutting out your wood decals. Very low tack and transparent, should solve the problem of damaging the decals and will let you see the woodgrain orientation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

Very very nice work and may I say that is a really nice workshop you appear to have :D. I have never tried the Uschi wood decals but they look very effective. Might I suggest 'Frisket' matt airbrush masking film for marking out/cutting out your wood decals. Very low tack and transparent, should solve the problem of damaging the decals and will let you see the woodgrain orientation.

Cheers & thanks for the tip 😊

Actually thanks for making me think of this. I had been trying to think of a way to accurately cut lozenge decal to size for application and it now occurs to me that frisket cut into strips the same width as the lozenge decal and a silver pen (I reckon other colours will work as well as long as they can be seen once the frisket is placed on the lozenge) to mark where it needs to be cut might well be the answer. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

This is great stuff!

Thanks for sharing your techniques and experiences here :).

I have a number of e.g. Oeffag Albatros (what's the plural of Albatros; 'Albatri'? 'Albatroses'?) and e.g. Halberstadt, other early Polish aircraft in the smaller scale that need wood effects, lozenge decals, sometimes both.

I have Techmod lozenge decal sheets, also I think maybe 'Leading Edge' wood grain sets for 1/72 Albatros(i, es), but the Uschi stuff also looks superb.

I have their rigging thread; have used it on just one model (Letov S-16). It's the best rigging solution I've tried yet. Tried fishing line, EZ - it snaps in harsh climates over time, stretched sprues, I'm not a good and steady/consistent enough 'stretcher' for the latter :confused: .

Im interested to see how you rig with the decals already on; it's something I've probably been overthinking. I made a big mess with CA and fishing line and lozenge decals a few years ago and think it's given me a phobia of rigging with decals applied :frantic: .

The propellers look great; top tip on the fast drying oil paints :)

Good tip on the Frisket too Beardie, I'll go and look for a supplier :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On 7 June 2017 at 11:45 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

This is great stuff!

Thanks for sharing your techniques and experiences here :).

I have a number of e.g. Oeffag Albatros (what's the plural of Albatros; 'Albatri'? 'Albatroses'?) and e.g. Halberstadt, other early Polish aircraft in the smaller scale that need wood effects, lozenge decals, sometimes both.

I have Techmod lozenge decal sheets, also I think maybe 'Leading Edge' wood grain sets for 1/72 Albatros(i, es), but the Uschi stuff also looks superb.

I have their rigging thread; have used it on just one model (Letov S-16). It's the best rigging solution I've tried yet. Tried fishing line, EZ - it snaps in harsh climates over time, stretched sprues, I'm not a good and steady/consistent enough 'stretcher' for the latter :confused: .

Im interested to see how you rig with the decals already on; it's something I've probably been overthinking. I made a big mess with CA and fishing line and lozenge decals a few years ago and think it's given me a phobia of rigging with decals applied :frantic: .

The propellers look great; top tip on the fast drying oil paints :)

Good tip on the Frisket too Beardie, I'll go and look for a supplier :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

Haven't forgotten you, Tony. Been thinking of quite a lot to say. Get back to you soon 😊