Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

Switched Identities   18/06/17

If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
Bedders

A better 1/72 P-51B?

34 posts in this topic
On 3/23/2017 at 9:54 PM, limeypilot said:

I'm always interested to see how inaccurate kits can be corrected 

Ian 

..don't want to start an argument ..but it's not. It really is not. As the man said he's correcting 'niggles' ...yes,the lower cowl and the rear canopy are a little irritating but I thought the wing was quite good. Obviously all the mods will improve the 'look' but no reason to put this kit to the  back of the stash/build queue..

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi folks, I had an update ready to go yesterday when I pressed the wrong button and lost it all. Boy was I mad. Anyway here's a rerun:

Shane I must say your collection of attempts was really interesting food for thought on how to crack this particular nut. Amazing that there isn't a decently-shaped B model out there but hopefully it won't be long before someone comes to the rescue. 

Anyway after this build I think it'll be back to Spitfires for a bit. Cookie's latest builds have got me needing to finish a 21 or a XIV or something...

On the Mustang I've been tinkering with the wing-roots which I think should be similar to the D model, i.e. slightly curved towards the rear. But KP give you a straight line so I've been blending in some small pieces of plastic card:

IMG_2744_zpsp6ubv4m8.jpg

IMG_2745_zps7tdxmqfi.jpg

At this point, and having filled in the appropriate panel lines on the wings, I could find no reason not to fit them on:

IMG_2746_zps0h5i1egl.jpg

IMG_2748_zpsll8msaet.jpg

IMG_2749_zpsdpfnr0bc.jpg

I think it's looking alright - still quite a bit to do around the cockpit area (rear windows and windscreen), but broadly I'm happy with where I've got to. 

Justin

Edited by Bedders
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nice.

And I blame you entirely for me currently fighting two Frog/Novo P51As, the Monogram P51B and the Hobbyboss P51C!  I hate the Frog kit so much now that the third one has been despatched to ebay.  The Hobbyboss one is basic but it looks okay.

TBH, they were all part started anyway and I wanted them out of the way and done.  Currently clearing out the shelving cabinets of doom.

Edited by The Wooksta!
Joyless fascism
2 people like this

All of your improvements are adding up to a noticeably better P-51B Justin. I'm especially impressed with the rear canopy fairing. What are you planning on using for the rear windows?

This is the area that just defeated my latest Spitfire 21 attempt (and the Spitfire is much simpler), but I haven't worked up the composure to chronicle the whole sorted failure yet.

1 person likes this

On 03/04/2017 at 11:49 PM, Cookenbacher said:

All of your improvements are adding up to a noticeably better P-51B Justin. I'm especially impressed with the rear canopy fairing. What are you planning on using for the rear windows?

This is the area that just defeated my latest Spitfire 21 attempt (and the Spitfire is much simpler), but I haven't worked up the composure to chronicle the whole sorted failure yet.

Hi Cookie,

Don't give up on the 21. Its a rae beast and will look good when it's done. On mine I was going to use either a piece of acetate sheet which I had rolled and cut into more or less the right shape. If that didn't work the faalback was a Falcon canopy section. I still hope to finish it but I was defeated by my cack-handedness with the airbrush.

I say all the above but tonight for the first time I asked myself if this B model was worth all the effort! I noticed I had put the ailerons on the wrong wings and had to take them off. And then I noticed that the horizontal stabilizers weren't symmetrical so had to pull one off and reattach it. After that I couldn't face rescribing the remaining panel lines on the cowlings so I'll leave it for tonight.

Incidentally does anyone know if the radiator rear door on the B and the D are the same size? The KP one is miles smaller than the Airfix D.

Justin 

2 people like this

Let me return the favor and encourage you to keep going, a proper 1/72 P-51B is rarer than a Spitfire 21!

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer regarding the radiator door.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well its been a while since my last update on this, mostly because I had a bit of a disaster, dropped the model and cracked the nose. This led to reappraisal of the situation, and I decided that if this was going to get finished I would need to replace a couple of parts with new ones, namely:

IMG_2949_zpsfx1eocrn.jpg

a new fuselage from Hasegawa! I reckoned I could get the KP wing (which I think is very good) to fit so decided to give it a try. So step 1 was to use plastic card to replicate the nice detail of the KP cockpit walls in the rather sparse Hasegawa fuselage, fit the KP floor and seat, add a fuel tank/radio from a broken Airfix D model, add the KP tailwheel well and radiator, and stitch the whole thing up. 

Step 2 was to fettle the KP wings so they fitted the Hasegawa fuselage, trim back the incorrect Hasegawa leading edge wingroot extensions, and put it all together. 

The Hasegawa fuselage it a bit short in the tail department, but everything else looks OK. So step 3 was to remove the Hasegawa rudder, then remove the fin and move it back about 1-1.5 mm, fill the gap with plastic card, and refit the rudder.

So here's where I am today. I put some card behind the exhaust openings to avoid having to glue the exhausts in before closing up the fuselage, as Hasegawa would have one do. The prop is from that broken Airfix D model I mentioned above, but it dry-fits beautifully.

IMG_2963_zpsn474lpn0.jpg

IMG_2964_zps5ly2beuq.jpg

IMG_2965_zpsxcc8hqux.jpg

IMG_2969_zpsazjz3wqs.jpg

IMG_2967_zpsfiyf452a.jpg

My mojo is more or less restored on this: just a bit of rescribing to do around the lower cowling, do some rails for the Malcolm hood (though I'm still undecided on whether to use the original framed canopy or the Malcolm hood) and it should be ready for priming soon.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
6 people like this

More spectacular scratch work Justin, the tail does look better with your modifications. I think this will look much better than the Hasegawa/Academy combo.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hee hee! Got the primer on just now and it's looking OK. This is Mr Surfacer 1200 out of the rattle can. The spinner is the Airfix one which I'm using for good luck. The 75 gal teardrop tanks are from the kit, and the 108 gal paper ones are Freightdog. The pylons are modified from the kit items with added sway bars as correct for the B model. Still a bit of tidying up to do but the shape looks right and overall I'm pleased.

IMG_2982_zpsg4296bj6.jpg

IMG_2983_zps02copxhu.jpg

I'm still mulling over what finish to give this, either Olive Drab/Neutral Grey (for Howard Hively's aircraft) or natural metal (for Jim Goodson's last B model before he got a new D). Either way I want it to be 4th FG with Malcolm Hood and I'm avoiding Hofer's machine as it's been done too often (and too well) by others.  

More good news is we have the Monaco Grand Prix and Indianapolis this afternoon. And nice weather to boot!

Justin

Edited by Bedders
2 people like this