1/72 P-51B Hasegawa/KP kitbash: finished

Some BMers may remember that for the last P-51 Group Build I tried to complete the hat-trick of a B-model, a D and an H in 1/72.

resized_d228040e-37d0-4b93-94be-bafd8ee1

The H was finished first:

69e93bfa-fbb4-49e5-9482-3598ec7e8387.jpg

resized_57158c9c-bd0c-4074-97c9-ddfefcf8

Followed after the deadline by the D:

resized_2d9db65d-6aa3-4c0c-9981-95a67ed5

resized_1457a628-6116-445f-95a7-55bd28dd

The B, for which I was using the new-ish KP kit, never made it to the finish-line, and ultimately was ... reduced to spares. Why? Well, I wasn't convinced with the overall shape of the model, and eventually the project ran out of steam. But I still wanted a B to complete my set, so recently I set out to build another. 

Much work ensued to try to correct the KP fuselage: fin/rudder, location of exhaust pipe opening, profile of the nose, the list went on. Kind words of encouragement from BMers kept me going, such as those below.

Edited by Bedders
Typos
  • Like 19

On 25/03/2017 at 11:00 PM, stevehnz said:

Hell Justin, that is some job of work you're doing on that. I'm not sure I like mine anymore :( . I might just go back to making Revell & or Academy ones. :D

Steve.

Steve,

Interestingly the KP fuselage, particularly the nose, is a close copy of the Revell. I think (though haven't checked) that the Academy nose is the better of the two in profile, though the carburettor intake is a bit too smiley. These are the problems we face when trying to do B-model Mustangs. Airfix, please come to the rescue...

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 4

Wow Justin, all of your subtle changes are adding up to a big difference in the final, more accurate and pleasing, look. At the same time, my KP kits are moving further back in the build queue - it's hard to love a Mustang as much as a Spitfire.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow Justin, all of your subtle changes are adding up to a big difference in the final, more accurate and pleasing, look. At the same time, my KP kits are moving further back in the build queue - it's hard to love a Mustang as much as a Spitfire.

I reckon the Mustang vs Spitfire debate will run as long as there are two pronunciations of 'tomato'. I love the Spitfire too. But there are reasons why I have a soft spot for the Mustang. First, for a Brit, there is always going to be a fascination for 'the other': Americans 'over here' doing extraordinary things etc etc. I was born near Debden, home of the Eagle Squadrons when they became the 4th FG, and this model will be a 4th FG machine.

Second, the Merlin Mustang is in some ways the aeronautical counterpart (albeit in reverse) of an AC/Shelby Cobra - a British machine with a corking great US engine, and a combination which guaranteed it a place in the pantheon of motor sport greatness.

And thirdly, an old friend (and ex-RAF chum) of my father's, not long dead, set about building a 1/72 Mustang from each fighter squadron of the 8th AF, and mighty impressive that collection was too. So my P-51s will scratch a few of those itches, and that's why I'm having so much fun with them.

In the meantime I'm learning loads about 1/72 Spitfires from your great builds!

Justin

• Like 3

I was in no way criticizing your love of the Mustang, Justin, merely bemoaning my lack of enthusiasm for cutting a chopping my way to a better version. That being said, Mustangs were my first foray into kit bashing.

I also suppose that it's a bit heartwarming for a Brit to be especially fond of the Mustang, while the the Yank holds the Spitfire nearer and dearer.

I would love to have seen that 8th AF collection. 

• Like 1

Some good work there ,i also have been tinkering to make a better B/C from what's available.It's interesting to see how another modeller approaches the same task differently.Below is a pic of mods i made to the KP kit,i went for a direct graft of the Airfix nose and rudder to correct the major flaws.The wing leading edge+root  is a bugger and i don't think i will ever be happy no matter  how long and how careful i sand it.

All this work lead me to my conclusion that the Hasegawa B/C has the best shape ,just a rework of the wing root (a replacement rudder maybe also) and the rest is internal detailing.

p51ckpconvo_zps8nwftg9l.jpg

She will be a P-51C from the CBI when finished 'Princess'.  (if i ever finish sanding that wing ;) ).

Shane.

• Like 6

V interesting Gwart; when mulling this project earlier I was thinking of slicing it differently, i.e. Complete Airfix D fuselage but grafting in the razorback top bit from KP,  and adding the KP wing to finish. Someone ought to try that approach out and report back on how it went.

In any case I like how you've got the B/C fin fillet built in. 

Justin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I was in no way criticizing your love of the Mustang, Justin, merely bemoaning my lack of enthusiasm for cutting a chopping my way to a better version. That being said, Mustangs were my first foray into kit bashing.

I also suppose that it's a bit heartwarming for a Brit to be especially fond of the Mustang, while the the Yank holds the Spitfire nearer and dearer.

I would love to have seen that 8th AF collection. 

I remember those builds well Cookie, particulartly that NMF machine whose finish I must say was was quite inspirational. 

Justin

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bedders said:

V interesting Gwart; when mulling this project earlier I was thinking of slicing it differently, i.e. Complete Airfix D fuselage but grafting in the razorback top bit from KP,  and adding the KP wing to finish. Someone ought to try that approach out and report back on how it went.

In any case I like how you've got the B/C fin fillet built in. 

Justin

I've done that with the Tamiya and Airfix kit using a Polish copy of the Hase kit and the old Monogram kit. <that experiment lead me to conclude that the Airfix kit is the best shaped D in 1/72.

Shane.

• Like 2

Is there anything wrong with ye olde Monogram kit?  I've a part started one in the stash, along with several other Mustangs, including a Frog P51A that'll end up in whif markings at some point.

• Like 1

p51bcstuff._zpsj78v8cn9.jpg

My rabbit hole of razorback mustangs,from top to bottom:-

Academy

Airfix

Tamiya

Hasegawa,the red lines here show where the fuselage is off by about a mm between the firewall and tail joint,it would need a cut similar to what some do on quarter scale spitfires to fix.It's a tiny amount off though.(the red lines are not where to cut if anyone is wanting to do it ,it just shows the area and  hypothetical cut lines.)

Shane

Edited by Gwart
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Is there anything wrong with ye olde Monogram kit?  I've a part started one in the stash, along with several other Mustangs, including a Frog P51A that'll end up in whif markings at some point.

The nose is quite slim and the lower fuselage intake is slim also,wing is superb though.

Shane.

• Like 3

Fascinating builds Gwart - this thread just gets more and more interesting.

The last time I caught some of Justin's plastic surgery it inspired a year and half (and still counting) of Spitfire cut and pasting. Must resist. I do have the KP and Airfix kits somewhere around...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fascinating builds Gwart - this thread just gets more and more interesting.

The last time I caught some of Justin's plastic surgery it inspired a year and half (and still counting) of Spitfire cut and pasting. Must resist. I do have the KP and Airfix kits somewhere around...

Once I find the envelope I have with your address on there will be something in the post to hopefully inspire you further cookie :) 

Shane and Justin, both your builds and the different ways you are going about the same thing are immensely interesting!

Rob   

• Like 2