DH Comet C.Mk.4

On 6/19/2017 at 2:45 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

Sadly, these won't now be finished. :fraidnot:      And it's not "not finished in this GB".  It's "not finished at all".  :(

These two have fought me all the way.  What seemed to be a relatively simple build, turned out to be quite the opposite.  Every single part needed some sort of adjustment, whether it fettling to fit (and not minor fettling) or major reconstruction.  Add to that the fact that the plastic is quite nasty.  It doesn't respond at all to polystyrene cement, so I had to use CA instead.  It also doesn't take paint, putty or even primer well.   Every time I applied masking, some of the paint and/or primer would lift.  Sometimes some of the putty came up with it. 

The undercarriage legs are made up from five very fragile parts, which when completed do not hold the weight of the model.

Last weekend was the final straw.  I was handling one model quite gently but still all the paint on the fuselage top flaked off in one giant piece.

So... rather than failing to complete a model, I am actively abandoning these two. :weep:  Something that is underheard of for me.

I still want to build the collection and it will be perfectly possible for me to do so as I haven't used the decals at all.  I'll just be using the old Airfix kit to do so.

Good luck with the replacements Will be looking out for the builds  

Martin H