DH Comet C.Mk.4

Using the Amodel Comet 4C kit.

C001.jpg

I will use the 26 Declas sheet to build an RAF Air Support Command Comet C.Mk.4

C002.jpg

Let's have a look at the sprues:

These are the same as the Comet 4 kit I almost completed last year

C003.jpg

The wings are different in this boxing though.

C004.jpg

Maybe the BEA Comet from last year will end up photobombing this thread...  :D

• Like 6

Funnily,most if not all the C.Mk.4s ended up at Dans , Lasham for spares or put in to service. Spares actually ended up being sold back to the RAF for the Nimrod fleet

• Like 2

On 20/03/2017 at 22:03, Irish 251 said:

All five of the C.4s entered Dan-Air service, as G-BDIT-X.

That's a very interesting snippet of information. :thumbsup:  The declas for G-BDIT are in the box, so I could build the same aircraft in two different liveries.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

All five of the C.4s entered Dan-Air service, as G-BDIT-X. I assume they had low airframe hours compared to Comets that had spent 15 or more years in airline use.

I worked on ex RAF  'IT and 'IW and a few 4Bs and 4Cs.  Working on Comets was  walking back in time, the manuals were the old system, nuts and bolts (AGS) were old English BA,BS,BSF, Whitworth threads and a mass of spanner sizes. Not the universal UNF, UNC threads  and A/F spanners we were , I was  used to. Hydraulic Fluid was evil, worse than Skydrol.

On the plus side the wings were so low, could reach quite a bit of it but only just made it over the offices in Bay 2, Lasham. Had to watch the wings on the tow in and out.. I did manage to get on the Boscombe Comet in the Weigh Bridge Hangar, Boscombe Down when working on a VC10 K2 in 1989

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bzn20 said:

I worked on ex RAF  'IT and 'IW and a few 4Bs and 4Cs.  Working on Comets was  walking back in time, the manuals were the old system, nuts and bolts (AGS) were old English BA,BS,BSF, Whitworth threads and a mass of spanner sizes. Not the universal UNF, UNC threads  and A/F spanners we were , I was  used to. Hydraulic Fluid was evil, worse than Skydrol.

On the plus side the wings were so low, could reach quite a bit of it but only just made it over the offices in Bay 2, Lasham. Had to watch the wings on the tow in and out.. I did manage to get on the Boscombe Comet in the Weigh Bridge Hangar, Boscombe Down when working on a VC10 K2 in 1989

Would this mean the same problems for Nimrods then? 

I don't know about the Nim's systems and AGS used. It isn't really a problem . Its was an old system I wasn't used to. I preferred what I knew, the American way of doing things.

The Dans guys in didn't like working on the VC10..Too much wire locking !

Edited by bzn20

23 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That's a very interesting snippet of information. :thumbsup:  The declas for G-BDIT are in the box, so I could build the same aircraft in two different liveries.

Oh bum!  I really should stop thinking stuff like that.  I've just ordered another kit and so it looks like this could turn into a double build.

That means I have a ludicrous 15 projects in four GBs...  :mental: 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That means I have a ludicrous 15 projects in four GBs...  :mental: 

I thought that was the norm for you matey. :winkgrin: Looking forward to seeing these (now) come together.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DAG058 said:

how many more GBs have you signed up for since your last update? Don't forget about this one! 

All of em!  :lol: 

But this one is definitely not forgotten.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

All of em!  :lol: 

But this one is definitely not forgotten.

:rofl: I know the feeling! I had every intention to enter a 70s NATO build, but that is a write off. Fingers crossed for the Made In GB GB. 

Anyways, waiting and watching with much anticipation! 

3 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

Anyways, waiting and watching with much anticipation! 

You don't have to wait too long.

The nose gear bay is built up as a box and inserted into the fuselage halves. The problem is that there is no clear location for it, so I braces it with Milliput.  This won't be a problem as I intend to paint over the cockpit windscreen and use decals instead.  In the event, this was a good choice and the carpet monster claimed the transparent piece!

C005.jpg

The intakes have a couple of crude blanking pieces.

C006.jpg

Once the wings were assembled, these were smoothed with Milliput applied using the handling of a paintbrush.

Next step - wings and fuselage assembled.  You can see the huge chunk of Milliput which fills the space where the transparency would go.  This helps immensely with the nose ballast! :)

The wings and fuselage fit together where they touch...   So al lot of filler and sanding is required.

C007.jpg

But in the end it starts to come together.

C008.jpg

Amodel kits are by no means cutting edge technology.  I can compare them to the old FROG Sea Venom.  But if you persevere with them they tend to turn out okay.

At this point I decided to go for the second build, so had to play a bit of catchup.

C009.jpg

And now they are both primed, ready for the final paint scheme.

C010.jpg

• Like 3

Well it was worth the wait, They are looking great. The Comet is so sleek and futuristic looking, with the grey primer it could almost be a new RAF aircraft in low vis barley grey! 

Looking forward to to the next instalment! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG058 said:

The Comet is so sleek and futuristic looking, with the grey primer it could almost be a new RAF aircraft in low vis barley grey!

Don't give me ideas like that!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sadly, these won't now be finished. :fraidnot:      And it's not "not finished in this GB".  It's "not finished at all".  :(

These two have fought me all the way.  What seemed to be a relatively simple build, turned out to be quite the opposite.  Every single part needed some sort of adjustment, whether it fettling to fit (and not minor fettling) or major reconstruction.  Add to that the fact that the plastic is quite nasty.  It doesn't respond at all to polystyrene cement, so I had to use CA instead.  It also doesn't take paint, putty or even primer well.   Every time I applied masking, some of the paint and/or primer would lift.  Sometimes some of the putty came up with it. 

The undercarriage legs are made up from five very fragile parts, which when completed do not hold the weight of the model.

Last weekend was the final straw.  I was handling one model quite gently but still all the paint on the fuselage top flaked off in one giant piece.

So... rather than failing to complete a model, I am actively abandoning these two. :weep:  Something that is underheard of for me.

I still want to build the collection and it will be perfectly possible for me to do so as I haven't used the decals at all.  I'll just be using the old Airfix kit to do so.

That's sad news. Sometimes it's best to just walk away from a build rather than battling with it. No point in getting annoyed or stressed over a kit. 

What about out your twin builds in the other thread?