Best 1/48 and 1/72 kits of….

DaveJL

I think the JU87 "Kanonenvogel" was only seen on the eastern front but I may be wrong.  There are at least 3 different kits covering this although you can buy the Bordkanone as after market but would need a "G" mark to hang them from.

As for the Typhoon I built the Hase one and the hardest part was getting the fuselage inserts to sit right (which I didn't manage!).  One of the 2 options for the decals includes invasion stripes......

37 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Troy, food for thought.

Re the Ju-87, i'd like to do either a desert version, or one armed with the 2 cannons under the wings - not sure if this was seen in the desert.

Typhoon would probably be a bubble top, around the D-Day timescale. 

As for the rest, i'm not sure yet, as i say, WWII, although of great interest to me in literature, my modelling of the period is somewhat lacking in knowledge. 

It's unlikely you'll see a Ju87G in desert colours as it entered production as the desert war was ending. I think they were just mostly used on the Eastern Front. I did build a 1/48 Hasegawa Ju87B for somebody and I don't recall it being a bad kit, I used an Eduard Zoom etch set for the instrument panels and seatbelts and Eduard Mask for canopy painting.

thanks

Mike

48 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

It's unlikely you'll see a Ju87G in desert colours as it entered production as the desert war was ending. I think they were just mostly used on the Eastern Front. I did build a 1/48 Hasegawa Ju87B for somebody and I don't recall it being a bad kit, I used an Eduard Zoom etch set for the instrument panels and seatbelts and Eduard Mask for canopy painting.

thanks

Mike

I'd agree with that Mike. I built the Revell boxing of it recently and it went together fine with little drama. The worst part of it was it somehow falling 1 storey out of a window part way through construction, but even then the cowling parts simply rekitted themselves and it was otherwise unharmed :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SovereignHobbies said:

I'd agree with that Mike. I built the Revell boxing of it recently and it went together fine with little drama. The worst part of it was it somehow falling 1 storey out of a window part way through construction, but even then the cowling parts simply rekitted themselves and it was otherwise unharmed :D

Post maintenance test flight ;)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Your not supposed to throw them out of  a window to see if they fly! :P I do like Revell reboxings of Hasegawa kits, it's so much cheaper than buying the Hasegawa boxing.

36 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

B or D.

Maybe an R too but I wouldn't like to say for sure without looking into that.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Your not supposed to throw them out of  a window to see if they fly! :P I do like Revell reboxings of Hasegawa kits, it's so much cheaper than buying the Hasegawa boxing.

Maybe an R too but I wouldn't like to say for sure without looking into that.

Thanks

Mike

Indeed you are correct - the old aifrfix kit I did recently was an Italian aircraft (can't remember where it was based exactly but certainly Med or north Africa) and it had "R" the wing tanks

19 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks again for the input folks, very helpful.

On a side note, i'd like to avoid any disagreements or arguments about individual kits.

May I ask why? You started this thread by requesting people's opinions of the "best" kits of a bunch of subjects. It's hardly surprising that there are differences of opinion among the respondants. IMHO the exchanges in this thread about some of the kits have been respectful and (probably) helpful for someone trying to make choices.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

May I ask why? You started this thread by requesting people's opinions of the "best" kits of a bunch of subjects. It's hardly surprising that there are differences of opinion among the respondants. IMHO the exchanges in this thread about some of the kits have been respectful and (probably) helpful for someone trying to make choices.

Appreciate that and I take on board all opinions, just don't want the thread to descend into agruements.

Hi Dave

if  you just want a bubble top D-Day Tiffie, the Italeri rebox of  the Hase maybe your best bet,  

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/italeri2734reviewbg_1.htm

It only has the 3 blade prop, but should  have reasonable decals, and can be picked up at a reasonable price, given the overprice nature of Hase kits  these days

I wouldn't be surprised if Eduard do a 'late Typhoon' boxing at  some point.

Regarding desert Stukas, AFAIK the only version used in the desert was the B-2,  the R was used in the med, but it's the same as a B-2  with the addition of long range wing tanks.  

The Revell rebox of  the  Hase B-2 has the famous 'desert snake' option.

If you have not seen them, the Hasegawa kit version tables on Modeling Madness are very useful

this is the Britsh/US types, which as the various Typhoon boxings

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48b.htm

HASEGAWA 1/48 TYPHOON

JT59

Typhoon Ib

(early canopy)

A,B,C,E,F,J,K,M,N,P,Qx2,R,Ux2

JT60

Typhoon Ib

‘W/Tear Drop Canopy’

A,B,C,E,F,G,L,M,N,P,Qx2,S,Tx2

JT183

Typhoon Ib

‘Early Version’

none

Typhoon Ib

No. 181 Squadron

A,B,D,E,F,G,L,M,N,P,Qx2,S,Tx2,Ux2

none

Typhoon Ib

‘No. 137 Squadron’

none

Typhoon Ib

‘No. 193 Squadron’

none

Typhoon Ib

‘Early Version, No. 56 Squadron’

none

Typhoon Ib

‘No. 198 Squadron’

A,B,C,D,E,F,G,L,M,N,P,Qx2,S,Tx2, Ux2

none

Typhoon Ib

‘Shark Teeth’

A,B,D,E,F,G,L,M,N,P,Qx2,S,Tx2,Ux2, UR*

CH40

Typhoon Ib

‘Super Detail’

A,B,C,E,F,J,K,M,N,P,Qx2,R,Ux2,MA,UA,UR

Typhoon Mk Ib Tree Letter Descriptions:

A

6 parts, left fuselage, gear doors, other details

B

6 parts, right fuselage, gear doors, other details

C

2 parts, 3 blade propeller and spinner

D

2 parts, 4 blade propeller and spinner

E

8 parts, upper wings, shrouded exhausts, bomb pylons

F

1 part, lower wing

G

2 parts, teardrop canopy fuselage inserts

J

4 parts, early canopy fuselage inserts

K

5 clear parts, early canopy, open or closed car door

L

2 clear parts, canopy

M

7 clear parts, gun sight, landing light covers, identification lights

N

15 parts, cockpit parts, other airframe details

P

4 poly caps

Q

16 parts, horizontal stabilizer, main wheel, unshrouded exhaust, 3 types cannon barrels, other details

R

3 parts, early canopy seat back armor, other details

S

3 parts, teardrop canopy seat back cockpit armor, other details

T

16 parts, 4 sets of rockets and rails

U

3 parts, 500 lb bomb

UR

29 resin parts, cockpit details, exhausts, main wheels, radiator, other details

UR*

3 resin parts, Tempest tailplanes, radiator with added dust filter

MA

36 etched parts, cockpit details, instrument panel, plus film instruments

UA

1 piece film, instrument panel detail

The family includes three nice variations of this big fighter bomber.  This is one of the few Hasegawa kits using inserts; the same fuselage is used to do car door or bubbletop versions via inserts, which can be hard to fit.  Experienced modelers’ advice is to glue each insert to the respective fuselage half first.

09059, 09283, and 09548 are identical kits for early or late “car door” Typhoons with 500 lb Bombs.

51040 is identical to 09059/09283 with inclusion of a Jaguar detail set that includes resin and etch cockpit w/film instruments, resin radiator, wheels and both types of exhausts. 09978 is identical and also includes resin Tempest tailplanes and a resin radiator with dust filter.

09060 builds a later “bubbletop” Typhoon with a three blade prop and rockets.  09311, 09379, and 09464 are bubbletops” with a four blade prop (only), bombs, and rockets.  09862 is a bubbletop kit which includes both types of propellers, rockets, and 500 lb bombs.

NEED INFO: None.

doesn't list Italeri boxing, details in the link above.

Here are the German tables

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48c.htm

Regarding the Ju-87, if you want something different, they were used by the Italians,

Regia-Aeronautica-Junkers-Ju-87.jpg

Romanians,

ju87d-5.jpg

Hungarians

Hungarian-Ju-87-4.jpg

the Hungarian B's had 3 tone uppers and red/white /green tail stripes

13_1_b1.jpg

and Bulgarians

30-13.jpg (1145×667)

the only other 'interesting'  Ju-87 scheme are some factory   desert finished one that ended up in Finland, so the uppers were repainted in dark green, but kept the RLM 78 desert blue undersides, pics in Stuka in Action book IIRC.

HTH

T

PS forgot one

Slovakia

83_1.jpg

Aeromaster did a sheet  of these

http://ultracast.ca/products/Limited Stock/AeroMaster/48-Scale/48-140/default.htm

has a few glitches, they were not called Errormaster for nothing. ...   

• Like 1

I have to say, this post and the replies, shows just how helpful a forum can be. All the helpful replies, like Troy Smith's for example, is brilliant stuff and must be encouraging to many forum users.

• Like 1

Thanks again Troy, very helpful!

1 hour ago, markg said:

I have to say, this post and the replies, shows just how helpful a forum can be. All the helpful replies, like Troy Smith's for example, is brilliant stuff and must be encouraging to many forum users.

I certainly agree!

Think my first purchase will be a Me-262 and Ju-87, but I'll likely start a 'wanted' thread at some point!

Along with the 1/48 kits, could anyone help me with the following:

1/72 B-17G - Revell or Airfix?

1/72 B-24J - Available kits?

1/72 B-29 - How is the Academy kit?

1/72 Lancaster -  Revell or Airfix?

Thanks again!

Dave

Airfix

Hasegawa - I built the Academy one and it fought me every step of the way.  Vile kit.

Better then the antideluvian Airfix B29!

Airfix, better shape and detail but the build is more challenging due to the incomprehensibly stupid way Airfix designed the kit and build sequence.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Airfix

Hasegawa - I built the Academy one and it fought me every step of the way.  Vile kit.

Better then the antideluvian Airfix B29!

Airfix, better shape and detail but the build is more challenging due to the incomprehensibly stupid way Airfix designed the kit and build sequence.

Cheers! Was looking at the Revell Dambuster variant, but if you say Airfix is better :lol:

7 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Dave, can't help but notice there's no bf110 on the list ;)

Maybe in time!

The internet will help you with your choice of kits, lot on your list have new tools, so your going to get a good kit most of the time.

1/72 or 1/48, there's a hidden question of preference on scale to chose.

That's harder to answer, as great kits in both scales, depends on how much room you have, 1/48 kit, with a base, takes up a lot of shelf space, but show of the subject better.

1/48, for fighter's 1/72, for bombers 😊

A good resource is www.scalemates.com which often has links to reviews as well as what AM is available. It also allows you to catalogue your stash and make you mourn the fact that you have so much to do and so little time to do it...:hourglass::blink:

1/72 B-17G - Revell or Airfix? The newest Airfix beats out the Revell kit.

1/72 B-24J - Available kits? The Academy kits are best, but I don't know how available they are. There's one on Oldmodelkits.com for not a bad price.

1/72 B-29 - How is the Academy kit? It's the only one to get. The ancient Airfix kit is a poor second.

1/72 Lancaster -  Revell or Airfix? Airfix. The Revell is nice and easy to build, but they stuffed up the dihedral on the outer wing panels for some strange reason.