The Chrome Plating Thread.

krow113

I know this idea has been discussed , but did anyone ever post such a thread?

I got a shipment from Caswell Canada today , ordered on monday last week and arriving on my island paradise on Friday! I'll delve into that later today.

Here are the contents of Caswell's Cobalt Plating Kit , which I felt was a good way to get into plating and will fit my needs , I think.

:IMG_2257.jpg

Nice and tidy , well packaged.

I would like to start by asking if any members here have heard of  , or tried , an old model RR trick. The trick is thus:

The part , some solder and an amount of Cream of Tartar is placed in a pan with some water and boiled. For how long I dont know , but the solder through some chemical/physical/chemical/witchcraft is 'plated ' onto the part.

Anyone tried this?

Please feel free to add your experiences' and info here.

Thank you ,Steve

Edited by krow113

Sorry no help with your initial question.

But a friend has the Caswell kit for nickel plating and did some brass parts for me. They came out very well. A 'softer' shine than chrome and very in scale for real nickel in 1/8.

• Like 2

Akshully...not!

I got the Cobalt Plating kit from Caswell, it is NOT electroplating .

I got it because it was the cheapest set with the very good instruction manual for all of the plating kits and supplies they handle.

It is the procedure I was wondering about , bringing the mixture to just under a boil to apply the plating to the parts.

When I'm ready I'll show the work.

This sounds interesting. Keep us update on progress.

The only Caswell product I have heard of is their Resin sealer for petrol tanks. This was a supposed cure to leakproof the infamous expanding tank on Ducati's Gen 1 Multistrada. The weak point was directly over the exhaust :yikes:

• 9 months later...