Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Tamiya 1/35

On 3/20/2017 at 6:33 PM, Mattlow said:

Well, I really like that.

The camo looks great and the weathering not overdone. Very tidy build. 

Matt

Thank you very much Matt. It's the first time I've done any weathering over camo in this scale so a bit of a trial and error was involved. The two previous 1/35 tanks I build were just the base colour. It think a lot of my weathering was helped by the amount of lovely surface texture Tamiya have provided on this kit.

On 3/20/2017 at 6:48 PM, Stu said:

Excellent work.

Stu

Thank you very much Stu - most kind!

On 3/20/2017 at 6:57 PM, Ozzy said:

The weathering has really brought it all to life, :goodjob: Stix.

Hi Ozzy and thank you very much. When will we be seeing your rather lovely zimmerited version in the RFI section?

On 3/20/2017 at 6:59 PM, Vince1159 said:

She's a beauty Stix,lovely job :thumbsup2:...

Hi Vince and thank you very much too! :thumbsup:

On 3/20/2017 at 7:16 PM, rob85 said:

That is a very realistic looking weathering job, can't believe the texture you have achieved on the paint it really looks like the finish you find on a tank. So many little details to pic up on! Tell the the camo panther is a transfer and not hand painted :) 

Rob

Hi Rob. The lovely texture finish is all down to Tamiya - the dry-brushing just managed to show off the effect they have provided. Yeah the Panther decal was a pain. It went on really well and looked great until the matt varnish went on and then they silvered big time  - hence the heavy weathering in those areas!

I am intending to reply to everyone but I'm going to do them in blocks of five rather than in one big reply.

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 20/03/2017 at 7:23 PM, giemme said:

Stix, you know I know nothing about tanks and AFV in general, and they aren't really my thing - but one thing I know: this is a most excellent paint job, unbelievably realistic :worthy: It really shows all your talent (the same can be said about your pics, of course) :clap::clap::clap:

Ciao

Thank you very much Giemme. You are very (too) kind as usual.:blush:

On 20/03/2017 at 7:49 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

Best looking Panther for a long time, very nice Tamiya kit, Great painting and detail.

Thank you very much Gerrard. I think you are correct about the Tamiya Panther. They have done a really excellent job with it and I would recommend it to anyone interested in Panther tanks.

On 20/03/2017 at 8:27 PM, BerndM said:

Excellent build and presentaion !

It comes also with a short but well written and informative text about the tank and the kit.

Well done :worthy:!

Beside the great paint job the weathering, especially the used look of the engine louvers caught my eye.:goodjob:

Viele Grüße

Bernd

He Bernd and thank you very much for your very kind comments. :blush:

On 20/03/2017 at 8:28 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Stix,

What a great Panther you have there. It really does look the part. Great weathering and paint work make the beast appear as weighty as the real thing. 

Well done! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Cheers 

Greg

Hi Greg. Nice to see you here and thank you very much for your kind comments. Hope you are keeping well.

On 20/03/2017 at 8:43 PM, Buzby061 said:

In the words of Churchill (the dog, that is) "Oh Yes!!"

Pete

Cheers Pete! Most kind! :thumbsup:

Thank you again to anyone who has taken the time to comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy and thank you very much. When will we be seeing your rather lovely zimmerited version in the RFI section?

Hopefully this weekend, I've got some straw substitute to add then she'll be finished.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2017 at 8:50 PM, PattheCat said:

The Brushman masters the Panther. Exceptional paint/weathering  job (should I say "as usual"?).

Hi PatteCat. You are way too kind but thank you! :thumbsup:

On 20/03/2017 at 11:58 PM, Carius said:

Excellent job in all aspects :clap2:

Thank you very much Carius - most kind! :cheers:

On 21/03/2017 at 10:58 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Outstanding as usual Stix. The model looks good enough on it's own but again your photography takes it up another level (if that's possible)!!  :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hi Nigel and thank you very much for your too kind comments! :blush:

On 21/03/2017 at 0:07 PM, Watcher said:

When you produce something as nice as that it deserves a good few photos! How did you do the grass? Also I'm not sure about the aerial. I've looked to see if they were definitely fitted and some were and some weren't. I haven't decided whether I'll fit one to mine.

M

Hi Matthew. Thank you for your kind comments and your suggestions during the build. With regards the aerials - yes you are quite correct - some photos show there were not always fitted. I had already drilled out the support so I have now fitted one in place.

On 21/03/2017 at 4:23 PM, Bullbasket said:

The hairy stick strikes again! Nice job on this Stix.

John.

Thank you very much John - most kind! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix , superb job on this big cat .

the weathering is very nicely balanced noticeable and realistic but not over done .

I love the camo and the final presentation and photography too .

Fantastic.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2017 at 7:53 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I like that that a lot Stix. I enjoy learning about AFV's, the introduction is really good.

I always like it when you take pictures on your Spitfire shelf :).

Great figures, they really add life, everything beautifully painted.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Hi TonyT. Hope you are well. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. I think finding the photo I used for my Spitfire display shelf was really lucky. When I found it I'd only finished a few 1/72 Spitfires and thought it would be a long time before I had enough Spitfires to fill it. However I soon got into 1/48 Spitfires and it quickly filled up! I also realised that taking photos of the Spitfires against the photo gave them a sort of 'real' appearance. So I tried my other builds against it with similar effects. The poor Spitfires, that I have on display, spend a lot of time being removed from it so I can take my photos. I have other backgrounds that I use for some photos but I think the angle of the Spitfire shelf photo, it's composition and colouring are a good match for a real landscape.

On 21/03/2017 at 7:53 PM, FrancisGL said:

Fantastic result, and also, brush, that great mastery of the brush ...The base is very "succored", everything you put on it, comes alive ...

:goodjob:

Cheers Stix :cheers:

Hi Francis and thank you very much too. Yes Tamiya have produced a very nicely textured kit with this one and it does show up nicely under paint!

On 21/03/2017 at 8:16 PM, HL-10 said:

Superb!

Wonderful looking  Panther, great weathering!

Thank you very much for your kind comments. :thumbsup:

On 21/03/2017 at 11:06 PM, Badder said:

It's all been said above.... I will just add that you were right about the dry brushing. It looks fantastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you Badder. Most kind. And thank you for your suggestion and comments about the dry-brushing - I will have a go at using a lighter version of the camo colours at some point to find out the effect. :cheers:

On 22/03/2017 at 6:16 AM, Ripaman said:

Brilliant Stix, just brilliant weathering looks great.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard and thank you very much. Most kind! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you Badder. Most kind. And thank you for your suggestion and comments about the dry-brushing - I will have a go at using a lighter version of the camo colours at some point to find out the effect. :cheers:

Having thought about it, I think dry-brushing with the dark yellow was correct. After all, the tanks came off the production line painted dark yellow and the camo was added later. So the red/brown and dark green, when worn away, were going to show the underlying dark yellow. Your dry brushing replicates this.

I still think there might be a place for dry brushing over some of the camo with the lighter red/brown and dark green though.  A less weathered tank might benefit from it? It's hard to say. It might just look odd?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Another fantastic model. The level of weathering looks spot on. As I have said before I always marvel at the finish you achieve with the brush. 

Andy

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 7:30 AM, longshanks said:

Superb Work !!!

:clap2:

Kev

Thank you very much Kev! :thumbsup:

On 3/22/2017 at 2:03 PM, Wolwe82 said:

very nice work Stix as always! :) cheers!

Hi Wolwe and thank you very much! :cheers:

On 3/22/2017 at 8:42 PM, Hewy said:

Great stuff, who needs an airbrush eh stix, very nicely finished

Glynn

Hi Glynn. That is very kind of you to say.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, Carius said:

Excellent job indeed.

Thank you Carius. Most Kind!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 3/23/2017 at 1:50 PM, Carius said:

Excellent work my friend with amazing weathering effects.

Hi Carius. That is very kind of you to say, thank you.

On 3/23/2017 at 6:09 PM, Ozzy said:

Hopefully this weekend, I've got some straw substitute to add then she'll be finished.

Hi Ozzy. It does look really excellent in the RFI section. Very well done!

On 3/23/2017 at 6:32 PM, mick said:

excellent work

Thank you Mick, most kind.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:47 PM, sonofjim said:

Stix , superb job on this big cat .

the weathering is very nicely balanced noticeable and realistic but not over done .

I love the camo and the final presentation and photography too .

Fantastic.

Hi Jim. Hope you are well and thank you very much for your most kind comments.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:52 AM, Badder said:

Having thought about it, I think dry-brushing with the dark yellow was correct. After all, the tanks came off the production line painted dark yellow and the camo was added later. So the red/brown and dark green, when worn away, were going to show the underlying dark yellow. Your dry brushing replicates this.

I still think there might be a place for dry brushing over some of the camo with the lighter red/brown and dark green though.  A less weathered tank might benefit from it? It's hard to say. It might just look odd?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. I must admit when you mentioned it it did make sense. I will still have an experiment as I think it's an interesting idea. I'm planning on having a go at a 1/35 Dragon Panther Ausf.D with Zimmerit in the near future. I will have a play with the colours. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. I must admit when you mentioned it it did make sense. I will still have an experiment as I think it's an interesting idea. I'm planning on having a go at a 1/35 Dragon Panther Ausf.D with Zimmerit in the near future. I will have a play with the colours. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Well, as I said, it's something I have wondered about. It does seem logical, but I don't recall seeing it being done, ever; If anyone can pull it off though, it's you Stix; You are the master of dry brushing in my humble opinion! If you do experiment, even if only on a small 'spare' piece of armour, a 'scrapped' AFV, etc, please do exhibit it on BM, because I would love to see how it turns out. I'm thinking that a wash over the 'multi-colour' dry brushing might help to bring everything together?

Rearguards,

Badder

On 3/25/2017 at 8:39 AM, sanfrandragon said:

Who needs an airbrush, when you can get results as good as this with a hairy stick!  Wonderful finish, the weathering looks just right.  I like the overall faded paint affect, was that from using the matt varnish?

Hi Sanfrandragon. Thank you very much for your kind comments. On armour builds I don't tend to do an overall varnish layer at the end. I kind of like all the different effects from the paint washes, dry-brushing and any metallic paints to be on show. On aircraft builds I always do give everything a coat of rattlecan matt varnish. On this Panther I think the overall faded paint effect is mostly due to the overall dry-brushing I did with a lighted version of Humbrol's Desert Yellow - which I applied over all the camo colours. My thinking - as Badder suggests above - was that the field applied camo would wear quicker than the factory applied finish and the base colour would end up showing through the camo colours.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:04 AM, coolhand said:

Hi Stix,

Another fantastic model. The level of weathering looks spot on. As I have said before I always marvel at the finish you achieve with the brush. 

Andy

Hi Andy and thank you very much for your very kind comments! :thumbsup:

On 3/26/2017 at 4:32 PM, Gremlin56 said:

Impressive build Stix, your style of build gets stronger and stronger. 

cheers

Julian

Hi Julian and thank you too for your, as always, very kind comments.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:44 PM, Badder said:

Well, as I said, it's something I have wondered about. It does seem logical, but I don't recall seeing it being done, ever; If anyone can pull it off though, it's you Stix; You are the master of dry brushing in my humble opinion! If you do experiment, even if only on a small 'spare' piece of armour, a 'scrapped' AFV, etc, please do exhibit it on BM, because I would love to see how it turns out. I'm thinking that a wash over the 'multi-colour' dry brushing might help to bring everything together?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Thank you again for your comments and suggestions. I am definitely going to try experimenting with the colours and yes I will try it on some scrap and post any photos of the results on here. I've got some GB builds in progress and coming up but after that I am keen to try a zimeritted Panther D so I will try experimenting then. A wash may be the way to pull the experiments together.

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Another excellent build Stix,love the weathering over the beautiful brush painting.great stuff!

Hi Steve. Thank you very much for your very kind comments.

Thank you again to everyone who has kindly taken the time to comment. I haven't had chance to properly play with the photos in Photoshop yet but when I get chance I will post them here.

Kind regards,

Stix