Unexplained activity

This is something that has come to my attention in the last few days.There are several different feeds on this, but it looks like we may have company.

There is peer and NASA support for this phenomena.

What do you think?

If the Earth had tilted even by a little, the Sunset/Sunrise and tide times would be different, temperatures would either be much cooler/warmer . Sounds More like  internet junk news .

• Like 1

Internet junk science.

You can get all sorts of atmospheric phenomena that can create "false" celestial objects. These are usually associated with ice crystals high in the atmosphere - which can act as a lens or mirror. These "false" images are known as "dog suns" or "dog moons".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

its the end of the world , didn't you see the red streak from Mars last night ?????  

The chance of anything coming from Mars are a million to one.......................

• Like 3

Back to the OP

The tilt of the Earth's axis is always changing; Thats why magnetic north is never the same as 'true' north

If you look at OS map issues for several years they indicate the difference of magnetic to true north and can show you the difference from year to year

When I set a certain type of car rally, which requires competitors to use a compass on their maps I have to specify which series of OS map I'm basing the instructions on.

26 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Back to the OP

The tilt of the Earth's axis is always changing; Thats why magnetic north is never the same as 'true' north.

Sorry but that's not right. There's a good basic explanation of the moving magnetic poles here.

• Like 1

Without wishing to get too pedantic, a little clarity is required.

The plane of axial rotation of the Earth, which is at present bisected by a line drawn between the North and South poles does not change and as far as can be determined has not changes since the formation of the Earth 4.6 billion years ago.

The plane of axial rotation is not perpendicular to the plane of orbit around the Sun, but is inclined and is referred to as Axial Tilt. This angle is not constant and varies between 24.50 and 21.50, at present it is at 23.50. A single Axial Tilt cycle takes around 40,000 years.

In addition to this and caused by gravitational pull from both the Sun and Earth, is a wobble on the axial rotation, referred to as Precession. This has a cycle life of approximately 23,000 years and is literally a small wandering variation in the Axial Tilt.

Axial Tilt, Precession and a third factor Eccentricity, governed by the elliptical nature of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, were recognised by a Serbian physicist by the name of Milankovitch in 1917 as controlling heat flow around the Earth, i.e. in certain combinations the Earth will be warmer, others cooler. Interestingly Milankovitch predicted that the Late 20th Century and 21st Century would be a period of climatic instability as the cycles change from one dominant cycle to another. An elegantly simple and accurate prognosis for the present global warming. 

Magnetic North is indicated by liquid silicon/iron flow in the Earth's core and although it is coupled to the plane of axial rotation, by centripetal forcing, it does not have and is strongly considered never to have had a direct correlation to the plane of axial rotation. It should be noted that the polarity generated by the Magnetic field does change every 10,000 to 20,000 years.

Best start digging the tunnels...

Christian, Britmodeller's tame(ish) geologist and Palaeontologist

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Internet junk science.

You can get all sorts of atmospheric phenomena that can create "false" celestial objects. These are usually associated with ice crystals high in the atmosphere - which can act as a lens or mirror. These "false" images are known as "dog suns" or "dog moons".

Of course you can. The title on the video says the Earth has tilted...It hasn't , not since Leicester won the league anyway

Edited by bzn20

Many years ago I drew several lines on an upstairs windowsill of my parents' house to correspond with the location of sunrise at the times of the winter solstice, the vernal and autumnal equinoxes and the summer solstice.  This morning I called on what little of Druid there might be in my Scottish heritage and stationed myself at the window to await sunrise. I'm happy to report that the sun rose exactly in line with the equinox indicator that I drew so many years ago.  Apparently all is right with the World for at least another year!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

Many years ago I drew several lines on an upstairs windowsill of my parents' house to correspond with the location of sunrise at the times of the winter solstice, the vernal and autumnal equinoxes and the summer solstice.  This morning I called on what little of Druid there might be in my Scottish heritage and stationed myself at the window to await sunrise. I'm happy to report that the sun rose exactly in line with the equinox indicator that I drew so many years ago.  Apparently all is right with the World for at least another year!

You could be burned at the Stake for such blasphemy or whatever 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bzn20 said:

If the Earth had tilted even by a little, the Sunset/Sunrise and tide times would be different, temperatures would either be much cooler/warmer . Sounds More like  internet junk news .

well, tonight's sunset was a little different from last nights and it's going to get colder towards the end of the week, so maybe some truth in it

..oh and it rained today

• Like 1

Yes it was vertical too we usually get Horizontal rain on the East Coast. Todays Top  Tip.......I checked the Arcades on the Sea front and sure enough.. Tilts were going on all the machines, Bar none !