Best 1/72 harriers, all marques?

Michael51

Do the wings differ from GR1/3 to SHAR2? As the horrible trenches on the Airfix SHAR2 could be replaced by attaching the newer wings to the SHAR2 fuselage and avoid any tricky fuselage surgery.

22 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Do the wings differ from GR1/3 to SHAR2? As the horrible trenches on the Airfix SHAR2 could be replaced by attaching the newer wings to the SHAR2 fuselage and avoid any tricky fuselage surgery.

Yes, there are some differences in the leading edge at the wing root

3 hours ago, JamesP said:

Waste of time.  Neither of the Airfix 1/72 Sea Harriers correctly depict the raised cockpit of the Sea Harrier and to me look like Harrier GR.1s with radar.  Best not mentioned in polite company.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Just out of interest how does the Xtrakit Sea Harrier FA.2 rate, build and accuracy wise?

It seems to be based on the Hasegawa FRS.1 kit, in my opinion. Many of the parts are interchangeable. I plan on using the Hasegawa wings on the Xtrakit fuselage since they have the vortex generators (although I have to remove a couple of them in addition to modifying the leading edge a bit). The intakes on the Xtrakit FA.2 are apparently an exercise in putty and sanding, if build threads are to be believed. I haven't put my finger on it yet, but the nose and radome look a bit weird. I think it's because the forward fuselage follows Hasegawa, and therefore the underside turns up too much towards the front, and is a tad short.

However...

I think Xtrakit can be the basis of a good model. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Better than Airfix, which in addition to the points mentioned has too skinny a rear fuselage, tanks that are the wrong shape and strange missile rails ( two different sizes when they should be the same)

The Sea Harriers were one of the last kits designed under Trever Snowden's watch and displayed all the slapdash approach to 1/72 that characterised those days. The GR7/9 and Gr1/3/AV8A  were designed by the current team and it shows.

The best conversion set was one produced by a company called I think Scalecast (Based in Derbyshire IIRC). What they did differently was supply the parts for the whole rear fuselage including the extension, which meant you only had one join to line up. You could even fit the new pieces to the fuselage halves before joining. I may still have one somewhere,

Havent seen the Whirlybirds conversion, but the Heritage one involved a lot of sanding and filling and swearing!

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2

Wot is wrong with the Hasegawa Frs.1 and Gr 3 ? They are not mentioned at all...

What drives me nuts is the lack of det chord on the Airfix canopies Gr1/3/AV-8A cannot remember whether Hasegawa have det chord in their AV-8B and more modern marks...

Edited by Uncle Dick

1 hour ago, Uncle Dick said:

Wot is wrong with the Hasegawa Frs.1 and Gr 3 ? They are not mentioned at all...

What drives me nuts is the lack of det chord on the Airfix canopies Gr1/3/AV-8A cannot remember whether Hasegawa have det chord in their AV-8B and more modern marks...

Nose is too short on the FRS1 and too long on the GR 3