Royal Navy 15in Mk.I Gun Barrel - 1:700 Tetra Model Works

Paul A H

Royal Navy 15in Mk.I Gun Barrel

1:700 Tetra

15inch_01.jpg

The BL 15 inch Naval Gun Mk.I was the most successful of the large guns developed for and used by the Royal Navy. Essentially an enlarged version of the 13.5 inch gun, the 15 inch gun was originally intended for use in the Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, but eventually found its way into the Revenge-class battleships, The Renown-class battlecruisers and HMS Hood, the Courageous-class battlecruisers, HMS Vanguard and various monitors. The gun holds the record for the longest range shell-hit ever scored by one battleship on another in combat when, at the Battle of Calabria in July 1940,HMS Warspite hit the Italian battleship Giulio Cesare with her first salvo at a range of 26,400 yards.

15inch_02.jpg

Tetra are a relatively new name to me. The Korean firm started up in 2013 in order to produce aftermarket  detail parts for aircraft, AFV and naval model kits. These 15 inch guns can be used in a range of kits, including Trumpeter's Queen Elizabeth-class ships, as well as their Renown-class battle cruisers, their HMS Hood and the HMS Hood and HMS Repulse produced by Tamiya. The barrels look excellent, and should be just as easy to use as any others. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo2.jpg