Pocher F40 with Autograph transkit upgrade challenge build

On 10/9/2017 at 4:40 AM, larchiefeng said:

After doing some experimenting, I decided to use a concoction I put together for the area instead of the material supplied in the transkit from Autograph. I think they give you stockings like pantie hose!

IMG_7014.jpg

Looks great Wayne. What exactly is that concoction ? And how did you get it to stick to the surface ?

Sincerely

Pascal

On 10/9/2017 at 10:40 AM, larchiefeng said:

I really expected to have some engine assembly done by now but, a while back I had asked for some recommendations for a good adhesive to glue white metal parts together and one of the suggestions was Loctite 324. I found it on eBay and it was kind of pricey for a small bottle but, I ordered it. The seller was in China and after waiting about two weeks, I received a refund saying that, they could not fill the order. So, I re-ordered it from another seller in India; that, was over 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting!

In the meantime I have continued to work on the paint and to date I probably have something like 8-10 coats of gloss black enamel on all of the metal body parts. I have been color sanding in between each coat and that's after waiting any where from 3-7 days between each coat. I have been working on the car but, I said a while back that, I wouldn't continue to bore you guys with picture after picture of paint in progress work. i have been working on the paint for going on two months now and, I'm almost about done so, I will show a few of the last color sanded pieces and then a few of the last almost final coats of black. I just painted these pieces on Saturday evening so, I haven't really picked them up or examined them too closely. I'm sure that some will be fine for the final stages but, some will require just a bit more work. You will see that, the black is very shiny as is but, I have had a few issues with an occasional chip in the paint and with the number of coats on the panels any chip is almost catastrophic! So, even though the black really doesn't need a clear coat, I'm going to shoot a couple of coats of clear as a small bit of protection.

So, these first few pictures are the color sanded pieces prior to final color coats. I tried to get the it down so, that there's no orange peel or runs and each piece after being sanded flat still had color completely covering it.

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

Then, I heated up the paint cans by letting them sit out in the sun for a while until the cans were warm and shaken well. Since the parts are fairly large, I used coffee cans to set the pieces on and used a turn table under the coffee can and rotated the parts and tried to get a good even coat on each piece without overdoing it. That's something that, I had done more than once on prior sessions. Black is a hard color to see when you start getting too much paint down especially when it isn't well lit. The turn table really made a big difference in keeping everything even as well.

IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7026.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

IMG_7033.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

So, that's where I'm at with the paint for the moment. Like I said, it really doesn't need a clear coat for shine but, it will help protect it a little.

In the meantime, since I'm waiting on the glue for the engine parts, I decided to start on the interior. I have the Tremonia transkit for the LM version of the interior and I started with some of the PE after I stripped out all the old stickers that were used for the rear firewall. Here's the interior that I started with and the transkit.

The stickers were kind of a mess

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7010.jpg

Cleaned and masked off

IMG_7012.jpg

After doing some experimenting, I decided to use a concoction I put together for the area instead of the material supplied in the transkit from Autograph. I think they give you stockings like pantie hose!

IMG_7014.jpg

After application

IMG_7041.jpg

The Tremonia transkit PE. Like I didn't have enough PE in the Autograph transkit to begin with! The Autograph has 8 large sheets of PE and this one has 2 smaller ones plus bags of nuts, bolts, ferules, rod and decals shown in the following pictures.

IMG_7021.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

I started with the first set of boxes that go on the passenger side of the rear firewall. This is the printed circuit board that goes inside one of the boxes.

IMG_7036.jpg

The box it goes inside of

IMG_7037.jpg

Needless to say there's a few more electronic boxes and radio with lots of wiring to be added. There's also a roll bar and extra bracing that go from the rear wall to the floor and a tank that goes on the passenger side floor area along with quite a few other things. I will continue to make the PE boxes and as soon as the rear area is dry, I'll start adding the carbon fiber decals to the floor. So, it will be adding decals and while they are drying work on the PE etc etc. More later as I make some progress. As soon as all of the body parts are completely finished I will take some pictures before I wrap them up until each is needed for assembly. 

Wow, i didn't know there is another transkit for the F40! Nice!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been reading this for a bit. Took a while to get accepted to group so I could chime in. I am also building this transkit and have some questions and maybe some answers. Biggest question is regarding instructions on brake disc/ hub/ lugs. Instructions seem to say don’t use the parts that they are showing in pics. When I look at different peoples builds, I see it done different ways? Help!

Welcome aboard and feel free to post whatever you like here. Give me the step number and I will explain what I can for you. I think that what you're referring to is the nylon plastic hub pieces that are used for the regular kit on the rotors. I think that they are still used but cut down.

I'm still working on mine but I haven't posted for a while due to lack of progress on anything but the paint work. I've also had some other outside issues to deal with and it has taken me away from the bench for a while. I'm hoping for a resolution to these issues soon and then I can get back on the build without any further distractions. 

Anyway, let me know what your specific question is and I will give you a more complete answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still here but, only in the last week have I done anything with it. A quick rewind back a couple of months ago; I had shot more black and I was thinking about doing some clear coats on the black mainly, for protection. I let the parts sit for over a month and then I started inspecting the paint really closely and I found a number of runs and heavy and thin spots. So, I sat down and color sanded the parts for what seemed like the tenth time and added more black on the thin spots. Again, I let it sit while I procrastinated what to do about shooting a clear coat or just polish it out.  I wasn't happy with the looks of the polished parts which, looked real but, also a bit scratched. It just didn't look like I spent the amount of time on the body that, I had. So, this last weekend I decided to bite the bullet and go for the clear coat. As of right now, I have all but two parts cleared. I'm going to finish those tomorrow and I will post the pictures of the final finished paint work tomorrow or Wednesday. Once this monkey is off my back I will not bore you any more with paint on the body. The body parts will then get put up and away in a safe place for a couple more months until I'm ready to add the carbon fiber decals and all the various parts that go inside each body panel. This was something that really bothered me and I really had to completely finish it before I could really concentrate on the next part of the build. The rest of the build doesn't make any sense unless you have a perfect body in and around all of the details. Now, with the perfect body it's going to inspire me to get the rest of it done with hopefully the same level of detail. Thanks for bearing with me on this and I will explain more about the pieces when I post the pictures.

• Like 1

These are not the final pictures that I wanted to post but, I said that I would post some pictures so here they are for now. Once I get a pace cleared off and some good lighting I will show the car somewhat assembled in order to get the full effect. In the meantime here you go.

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_7163.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7174.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I still have three more pieces to clear coat and that should do it. I will probably have some very light sanding here and there and one or two pieces will need another coat of clear. The fron bonnet for sure will need it just because I have to add the center hood emblem that, I forgot. Oops!

• Like 3

Really nice paint work Larchiefeng!  I agree, the shell is the most important, it's what we all see first!  I am lucky that Pocher did a good job on my blue Aventador, so I don't have to sweat this detail.  Hats off to you for taking this on!

Thanks DF, your Lamborghini is coming along nicely and the engine details are starting to make it come to life.

It's funny that, when this build started it was intended to be two F40's being built more or less side by side. Our friend Mr. C made the comment that he thought that it would be more interesting if both of them were not red. He thought that one should be a different color. I knew that Rich's was brand new in the box and he wasn't going to do a color change so, I was game to take it on. There's just not many color choices that would look good on an F40 and I knew that I wasn't going to paint it yellow. There was at least one F40 that came from the factory in black so, I decided black it would be. 

In retrospect, I'm not sure that doing the color change was a great idea just because of all the issues I ran into. But, now months later with it being 95% done with the paint, I'm pretty happy with the results. I just wish that these pictures really showed just how great it looks in person but, once everything is hardened up and I can handle the parts without worrying about leaving fingerprints I will partially assemble the body and put it on a background that is plain and uncluttered and take better pictures with decent light and hopefully be able to really highlight how nice it's going to look when the whole thing is done. I think another couple of weeks and then I will be able to try for better pictures. 

• Like 1

I think that getting outside pictures will really show how good that gloss black looks.  Perhaps prepare a sort of diorama like Codger did for his Pocher classic, that makes it look scale.  Kudos to you for doing the work of stripping and painting this bad boy :)

Looking good. I’ll be painting mine as well. Currently working on the task of opening up the vents. What a major pain in the bottom. I’m thinking black as well, but maybe metallic blue.

Edited by BigN69
Spelling

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind comments. 

Big, on the color, I would just go with what you like. You're building it for yourself and you will be the one looking at it so, you might as well be happy with it. When I chose black, I was already wanting to paint it black and I did some research to see if there were ever any from the factory in black. I did it mainly just to satisfy myself that, because it's not red, it's not really a pure F-40. Also, I'm building mine as a quasi LM version so, it's not going to be a strictly stock version anyway. I can really sympathize with you on the opening up of all the vents on the rear end.  I had a heck of a time trying to make the cuts without overdoing it. I was also pretty surprised at how hard the metal was to cut and after going through about 30 carbide discs I finally made it.

So, I was sitting around yesterday and I was looking for some inspiration. I decided to do a quick little mockup in order to see some of the body parts together rather than as individual pieces. Here was my little Christmas present to my self.

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

Today, I did a light color sand on the front bonnet to get rid of a couple of dust specks and while I was at it, I added the Ferrari emblem on the nose. When the decal sets up later today, I'll shoot another clear coat. I'm cleaning off the bench today and deciding on just one sub assembly to concentrate on moving forward. I had too many things started and every time I sat down I didn't know what to work on so, if I put everything away but one then, problem solved.

IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

• Like 2

I managed to shoot another coat of clear on the front bonnet to further seal the side emblems and put a coat of clear on the front emblem. 

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

I also have the front lower valance attached now as well. I will continue to get the rest of the body parts another coat of clear one at a time. I am cleaning off the bench and putting everything away that doesn't have to do with the rear frame and suspension. I'm going back to where I left off when I started the summer painting work. The other things like the engine and interior were just small diversions until I could get back to bigger work of the frame and suspension. When I was mocking up the body it became clear that, I need this part done before I can move on to the engine etc. I will also need both the front and rear frames completed to continue to mocking up the rest of the car if it's going to do any good.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've already removed a lot of pieces from most of my PE sheets but I think that there's some scans on the instructions of each sheet. I'll take a look and let you know. 

Try this link to the instructions: It has everything that's included plus the copies of each PE sheet.

file:///D:/Modeling-%20All%20Folders/Car%20Reference%20and%20Pictures%20by%20Car%20Type/a-F40/Autograph%20Instructions/TK08-F400-SSO%20Autogaph%20F40%20SSO%20Bauanleitung%20english.pdf

Edited by larchiefeng

17 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

I've already removed a lot of pieces from most of my PE sheets but I think that there's some scans on the instructions of each sheet. I'll take a look and let you know. 

Try this link to the instructions: It has everything that's included plus the copies of each PE sheet.

file:///D:/Modeling-%20All%20Folders/Car%20Reference%20and%20Pictures%20by%20Car%20Type/a-F40/Autograph%20Instructions/TK08-F400-SSO%20Autogaph%20F40%20SSO%20Bauanleitung%20english.pdf

8-)

This link is to Your D-drive @larchiefeng!

I do not hope we have access to that drive from here!

Try to uplode it to google-drive, or similar!

(Thanks for pictures etc!)

8-) 

Oops! Try going to their website and downloading the instructions .pdf.  here. I know that Rich should still have his transkit intact but, this will give you most of what you need plus the corresponding key sheet to tell you what each part is. There's eight large PE sheets with some in brass and some in stainless steel; lots of PE!!

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for in the PE?

https://shop.autographmodel.com/Autograph-1-8-Transkit-Ferrari-F40-Pocher-based

• Like 1

I finally sat down today and started going over what I've already done to the rear frame and PE. It's always a problem for me to get back to something that I worked on months ago and to try and get familiarized with where I am in the process. This is especially true when you are dealing with a transkit that has as many different parts as this one and the actual instructions leave a lot to be desired. To that end, I had to spend quite a bit of time going through all my references and the instructions. I also had to take a quick inventory of what PE parts that I had already removed from the sheet and identify where they need to go and in what order. I wound up writing my own instructions for myself as to how I need to start and proceed. The first thing that I realized is that I have to remove more of the plastic rear framework. I took a couple of pictures and tomorrow when I actually start working on it and soldering some of the PE brackets together and then gluing them to the framework I'll post them to show the before and after along with progress made. I'm sure that there's going to be quite a few pictures working through this section. It seems like it should go fairly quickly but, you never know. This is where all my reference pictures and most importantly the DVD of the rebuilding of the wrecked F-40 in Germany is crucial in order to make sure of correct placement of all the brackets and gussets. I should probably also have a partially built engine block for correct engine mount bracket placement. 

Anyway, lots of measuring two and more times before cutting once. More tomorrow.

• Like 1